Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

engine cuts out

bth2

hi,

i went for a spin yesterday and when coming down a steep switchback lane ,about 1 in 5 (20%) the engine cut out. stopped,restarted ok. has anybody had this issue?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bth2 said:

hi,

i went for a spin yesterday and when coming down a steep switchback lane ,about 1 in 5 (20%) the engine cut out. stopped,restarted ok. has anybody had this issue?

How was your fuel level? 

• Like 1

Check the manual,, it mentions a lean angle engine cut off sensor IIRC. Its on the bike in case of a tip over, perhaps the lean/hill just triggered that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Check the manual,, it mentions a lean angle engine cut off sensor IIRC. Its on the bike in case of a tip over, perhaps the lean/hill just triggered that

Another item to add to my "lets find what useless shet I can remove" list. 

3 hours ago, Louis said:

Side stand switch? 

i have sidestand switch delete so not that

5 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

How was your fuel level? 

from full i had used about a gallon...so unlikely

3 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

i had thought of that but does it work at all angles or just when on its side?

1 hour ago, bth2 said:

i had thought of that but does it work at all angles or just when on its side?

My understanding is that lean sensor cuts out the engine if bike is on its side because oil pump may not be able to pick up oil in the sump. Incline of hill wouldn't initiate that sensor.

Loose electrical connection or bad ground? Bad fuel?

Locked rear brake while in gear with clutch out?

• Like 4
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

5 hours ago, bth2 said:

i have sidestand switch delete so not that

Side stand delete plug? 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Hogan said:

Assuming the ABS was on that couldn't happen.

Also if the engine cuts out due to the lean angle sensor, the check engine light comes on and you have to turn the ignition off and on again. If you didn't do that then it's not the lean angle that made it stall. I'd still doubt it was the lean angle sensor. My bike runs for several seconds when it's on its side before the engine cuts out.

The bike also stops if the engine idles for 20 minutes, but I'm going to assume you didn't ride for 20 minutes down hill in neutral or with the clutch in.

Assuming you pulled in the clutch and then the bike stalled, my question would be, how fast was the engine going when you pulled in the clutch? I say because 99 percent of engine stalls are caused by the rider 😉 When rolling down a hill it's easy to forget what gear your in and end up slowing right down while in 5th or 6th and dragging the engine below idle.

Nope I have never had this happen.

All of the above are valid....

Did you go back up and retry the hill decent.

Is your side/kick-stand delete done well. Think it was a one off.

No engine light on means that it was not the (left to right) lean angle sensor

@Cruizin no no no no please don’t have a go at removing the lean angle sensor: it can save your engine from no oil pick up when the bike is on it’s side. It also helps prevent and limits fires and fire damage as the fuel pump is cut off in a crash / slide off. And in a fall off / over you don’t want the back wheel still turning round as the bike can circle around on some ground, especially with knobbly tyres on. Also the wheel, chain and tyre can all drag a foot / leg in etc if your leg / foot is trapped below on left side falls. All that is needed is to lift the bike back up again and then switch the ignition off and back on again to reset it all, it is a grand and very very good safety system. 

Think this thread title may be a little bit better, may be edit to ‘Engine Cut Out, on step decent’ as “Cuts out“ implies that it has happened a lot, and this sounded like a lone one off to me. Cut and Cuts is different is all I am saying and I don’t think it is a common cut out thing.

Yeah fuel level etc, high gear low speed chug out, ABS off etc. I would have repeated the hill decent, to analysis it and see if it would happen again and spot it out.

It fired up again, hope all is good.
Happy days.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I did have one mystery stall while coasting with the clutch in. Took it to the dealer and they pulled an event code, but the event code had no details. It was a hot day with about a half gallon down from full. The only thing we could think of was my tank bag was on too tight causing a venting issue

just a note to say this has never happened again....must have been a one off. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had this happen at 3,000 miles and I thought it was a one off glitch except it happened again last weekend. Can’t get it into a dealer for a while and they said it wouldn’t be worth the time if no check engine light And the issue  annoy be replicated. I was also told if the issue is happening with deceleration it is even more difficult to diagnose. So I have been going trying every scenario and found that I can sometimes get the bike to stall while the motor is decelerating and popping (fuel cut) and the throttle is blipped at just the right time. I also can get it to stall or at least stumble revving it at a stop and feathering the throttle. I think these are two different issues (situation while stopped would never happen with normal riding and may be caused by confusing the IAC parameters. Sometimes in this scenario of rapid feathering it also seems like not every input of the throttle corresponds with a change in rpm.

Any chance you let the battery die or disconnected before your last ride?  Have you fiddled with anything underneath the seat?

My KTM Duke 790 has been doing the same thing.  Best answer I found was that if the ECU has been powered down, it may take a while for it to resynchronize itself for some stupid reason.

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

I had this happen at 3,000 miles and I thought it was a one off glitch except it happened again last weekend. Can’t get it into a dealer for a while and they said it wouldn’t be worth the time if no check engine light And the issue  annoy be replicated. I was also told if the issue is happening with deceleration it is even more difficult to diagnose. So I have been going trying every scenario and found that I can sometimes get the bike to stall while the motor is decelerating and popping (fuel cut) and the throttle is blipped at just the right time. I also can get it to stall or at least stumble revving it at a stop and feathering the throttle. I think these are two different issues (situation while stopped would never happen with normal riding and may be caused by confusing the IAC parameters. Sometimes in this scenario of rapid feathering it also seems like not every input of the throttle corresponds with a change in rpm.

The bikes are lean around idle and low RPM, it's normal that you blip the throttle and they might stall.

Just don't do that, it's not normal riding..

Most motorcycles will act strange and cut out, ping under load, stall when ridden outside of normal use, emissions are so tight now and fuel injection is so restricted. Timing on these bikes is odd from factory too in certain conditions.

Just ride your bike normally and enjoy 🙂 

Edited by Danrides

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,I had my bike stalled while riding a normal ride.bike started well on neutral but once I engaged the first gear the engine cutted off.tried several time until it started.this happened twice .I can’t figure this out except maybe bad fuel but runs fine in neutral then cuts off when first gear is engage .maybe someone has an explanation.

3 hours ago, Philippe said:

Hi guys,I had my bike stalled while riding a normal ride.bike started well on neutral but once I engaged the first gear the engine cutted off.tried several time until it started.this happened twice .I can’t figure this out except maybe bad fuel but runs fine in neutral then cuts off when first gear is engage .maybe someone has an explanation.

Sidestand switch or clutch switch. Check em, and clean em. 

My bike died twice on the same day.  I couldn't pin point a pattern, but after shorting the side stand switch, never had an issue again.