Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New Tenere clutch issue??

Stevoh

Hi all,

Picked up my new t7 yesterday, all was well, did about 160 KMs on first ride, did notice that sometimes the gear change wasn't so smooth, like banging into next gear but very intermittent,  thought it could just be me, but now it happens nearly all the time and when the bike is cold I can't put it into gear without the bike stalling, but every now and then it clicks into 1st beautifully.

Any ideas on the issue?

I'd just like to be a bit wiser when I talk to the dealer.

IMG_20200530_121045830.jpg

• Premium Member

Is there excessive loose free play at the clutch lever / or is drive chain very tight....

See / read your handbook for correct free play adjustment.

The engine will stall, when going into 1st gear, if your kick / side stand is down.

PS Hope this helps.

Note, There is not any wide spread known Tenere 700 issue.

• Premium Member

It sounds like a possible issue with clutch cable adjustment, the clutch is not being pulled in all the way when the lever is all the way down.

Are you pulling the clutch lever all the way down to the handle bar and the issue is still there?

What is your clutch lever freeplay?

It should be minimal, maybe a 2mm gap.

If all that is ok

Check your clutch cable routing, compare with service manual, look for kinks and incorrect routing.

There are more things to check, but I'd start there.

Tazmool

Thanks for the replies Gents.

Stalling into first was kickstand cutout switch, sorry, first bike I've owned with such a feature.

Free play in cable is sorted, but still, gear change is clunky, not smooth like the demo T 7 I rode,clutch lever seems a bit far off the hand grip when it hits active point, almost like when you're clutch is worn.

I'll go for another ride after work and take note if the issue is not as bad when the bike is hot.

• Premium Member

Ahh, glad you got it sorted out Steveoh!

The clutch lever is non adjustable on the T7, however, you can get a set of fully adjustable levers and they are quite cheap. 

Then you can adjust how the level/friction zone feels and where it engages. 

Tazmool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how clunky your switching is, My bike had the same thing. It was a lot less "smooth" then the demo T7 I got for a test-ride.
After the 1K service it got a lot smoother (new, different oil?) and it seems to keep getting smoother.
It could get better, but if the "clunkiness" is severe, I personally would visit the dealer and ask them about it! (my dealer is just 5km from my house and they are very helpful)

Yeah, I will drop in next weekend, it's clunky enough to be annoying, you he thing is though every now and then it will change smooth, kinda wierd, hopefully it's just a settling in thingy.

• Premium Member

Kind of knew that the stalling into first gear was just due to the kick-stand being down.

Note all biggish bikes will clunk in to first gear.

Get more miles up for the 1st service to be done and mention it.

After about 100 miles my bike needed clutch adjustment to get a bit of free play back.  The clutch was gradually engaging farther and farther from the bars until i adjusted it inwards a couple turns.  as I was doing this, that metal locking tab for the clutch adjuster broke off, and the screw that holds it is in so tight i started stripping the head out trying to remove the damn thing!

The medieval torture device called the standard seat will need to be adressed soon, but in all reality, i think me bony arse is maybe getting used to it at the 650km point!

This bike has exceeded my expectations so far, cant wait till the break in period is over so I can uncork this thing and let er buck!

Parts arriving soon, skid plate and lower crash bars by Outback Motortek, triple clamp moto case guards, oxford hand warmers, yammie chain guide, Tall windscreen, soft bag set.  

Still plan on fabbing up a rear rack but sure looking hard at outback moto system.

Ah yes, a few of the same extras I will need for my bike, quite a bit of research to do!

Look forward to your insights on the upgrades.