Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rusted spokes really a problem?

Cruizin

It's something I hear about all the time. At the store, on ADV rider, in Facebook groups, at Cycle gear. People.saying that the T7 spokes rust. 

What say ye, Canadians, Brits and Aussies? Are your spokes rusting out? Are your wheels falling apart? 

I have yet to see a pic of it on this forum , with 1551 members and countless pics and ride reports . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

It's something I hear about all the time. At the store, on ADV rider, in Facebook groups, T Cycle gear. People.saying that the T7 spokes rust. 

What say ye, Canadians, Brits and Aussies? Are your spokes rusting out? Are your wheels falling apart? 

I have yet to see a pic of it on this forum , with 1551 members and countless pics and ride reports . 

Small signs of corossion on mine after 2k miles and winter riding.. I'll try and get a picture later. 

But I wouldn't worry to much... My 18k gs adventure fell apart after 2.5k miles and one winter in UK. 

Frames, shock spokes everything went brown... Rusty brown I mean 🤣😱

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Small signs of corossion on mine after 2k miles and winter riding.. I'll try and get a picture later. 

But I wouldn't worry to much... My 18k gs adventure fell apart after 2.5k miles and one winter in UK. 

Frames, shock spokes everything went brown... Rusty brown I mean 🤣😱

Guess you got salted roads in winter? Destroyed 2 bikes winter riding on salted roads here in Sweden, one cb750 and a sr400 both lasted around 3 winters if i remember correctly.

If it is salt on the road i expect rust to come on all bikes so no more winter riding for me....

Edited by Roger
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roger said:

Guess you got salted roads in winter? Destroyed 2 bikes winter riding on salted roads here in Sweden, one cb750 and a sr400 both lasted around 3 winters if i remember correctly.

If it is salt on the road i expect rust to come on all bikes so no more winter riding for me....

Can't get a bit of salt get in the way of happiness 🤣

ACF50 or buy a second bike for winter use... 👍

39 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Can't get a bit of salt get in the way of happiness 🤣

ACF50 or buy a second bike for winter use... 👍

Got a dr650 and a exc400 in the basement selling the 650 maybee keep the exc for winter with some nice tires.

Driving on ice are very fun.  Good lawes on that in sweden cars got max length on spikes, on bikes we run what we want😀 

And on frosen lakes we drive what we want. No laws on registration or anything on lakes exept for national reservation areas where noise  is not liked.

On fully spiked tires on ice, the grip is amazing, better grip then roadtires on asphalt....

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Roger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Roger said:

Got a dr650 and a exc400 in the basement selling the 650 maybee keep the exc for winter with some nice tires.

Driving on ice are very fun.  Good lawes on that in sweden cars got max length on spikes, on bikes we run what we want😀 

And on frosen lakes we drive what we want. No laws on registration or anything on lakes exept for national reservation areas where noise  is not liked.

On fully spiked tires on ice, the grip is amazing, better grip then roadtires on asphalt....

unnamed.jpg

Totally different league.. 😂👌👍

I had my t7 1 week & while camping near the beach the sea air got to the spokes I didn't ride on the sand or through salt water, now they have black spots on most of the spokes front & back. I have had 36 bikes in the past & have never encountered this. its just Shet quality plating. 

21 hours ago, manny said:

I had my t7 1 week & while camping near the beach the sea air got to the spokes I didn't ride on the sand or through salt water, now they have black spots on most of the spokes front & back. I have had 36 bikes in the past & have never encountered this. its just Shet quality plating. 

That don´t sound good i will keep an eye on mine. ( is it spelled eye? writing in english is difficult and tiring for me) 

Got mine at the beginning of March, salt was still down in the UK then. Rode it numerous times, cleaned it straight after each time, and covered it in GT85. No issues with corrosion yet. 

I put that pic up in March after I had my spikes replaced. I did 300 miles before this happened after having the spokes changed under warranty. I am still waiting for a response as to what Yamaha are going to do now. The lockdown has meant nothing happening. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Roger said:

That don´t sound good i will keep an eye on mine. ( is it spelled eye? writing in english is difficult and tiring for me) 

Eye 😜 is correct. 

I started a thread to try to establish how many people were suffering with spoke corrosion but there wasn’t many replies 

personally, as I come from street riding and always had non-spoke wheels, seeing rust on the wheel spokes especially eeeerks me...so problem? probably not...annoyance? 100%

but knowing this now, ACF50 will be going onto the spokes as soon as I get the bike...

Also reading from facebook pages (first mistake lol), some people get the rust issue simply by riding in a moist(ly) weather and not rain/water puddles.

well, long story short, it bugs me, but the price & the versitle of this bike "allows" me to see past that.

we will see when the day comes...