Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Battery Charging - VRLA?

Mungo

Hi All,

I am after advice.

On page 7-31 of the owners manual it has a Notice that states "To charge a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery, a special (constant-voltage) battery charger is required. Using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery."

Has anyone got any experience with VRLA batteries?  Does this mean that I can't use my trickle charger on this bike?

Paul

I think it's just a fancy name for a Agm or gel battery. 

Is anyone going to use a battery charger on their T7?

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:06 AM, Mungo said:

Is anyone going to use a battery charger on their T7?

Thought I would bump this thread. Yes, I won’t be riding much through the British winter and would like to keep the battery topped up/well maintained.
I have a CTEK car charger which I used when I bought the bike because I wasn’t sure what condition the battery was in... before I read the manual. Yamaha’s official accessory battery charger looks from the photo like it’s made by CTEK. The one thing my CTEK doesn’t do is give a constant voltage. They are ‘intelligent’ chargers. It checks the state of the battery and delivers the charge in various forms and stages until fully charged and then reverts to trickle charging when required. You also have to tell the charger if it’s an AGM battery, which is used for auto start/stop in cars and somethingmy bike certainly hasn’t got.

So, I am still not sure, after much googling, how you are supposed to charged a VRLA battery.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, jetdr21 said:

I think it's just a fancy name for a Agm or gel battery. 

This is correct. 

20 minutes ago, Rickster said:

So, I am still not sure, after much googling, how you are supposed to charged a VRLA battery.

Just plug it into your charger. You'll be fine. CTEK, battery tender, etc are all constant voltage chargers.

All they're really saying is don't use a constant current charger as those can generate more heat and lead to premature failure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

This is correct. 

Just plug it into your charger. You'll be fine. CTEK, battery tender, etc are all constant voltage chargers.

All they're really saying is don't use a constant current charger as those can generate more heat and lead to premature failure.

Thanks for the quick response 👍 I may have been wrong in my post too. I think maybe the voltage is constant and it’s the charge that isn’t. Anyway, I shall go back to worrying about how much grease is in my bearings.