Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Under Seat Storage

close range

3 hours ago, close range said:

I managed to get nearly all my tools and spares under the seat.

Ziplock with shop towels

Electric air pump and cord, hose

Tool pouch

Nitrile golves

mulitmeter

container of spare bolts, washers, etc

tow strap

zap straps

container of electrical spare parts

motion pro 27mm axle wrench

Under the right side panel: 21" tube

under the left side panel: small kit with JB weld, crazy glue

|

IMG_5757.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

IMG_5756.jpeg

Hi, great post! Is it possible for you to make a picture of all the tools you stuffed in there? Thx!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aarslikkerdanny said:

Hi, great post! Is it possible for you to make a picture of all the tools you stuffed in there? Thx!

Agree!

Nice AntiGravity ReStart Battery there. 👍🏻 Have one here ready to go in mine next month. The ATZ-10. Pretty amazing how it all fits in there.  I’ve been using a Slime 12v pump for a few years but may pickup one of those smaller pumps you have there. 

Edited by Adrenolin

• 4 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, close range said:

Under the right side panel: 21" tube

under the left side panel: small kit with JB weld, crazy glue

Can you please explain how you pushed these under the side panels?

Did you take them off first?

Yes, to fit things under the rear panel I removed just enough bolts from the lower parts to lift the rear panel away from the inner shroud. I think it was 3 bolts per side.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey close range, 

Amazing video and storage work there. Quick question, is it safe and okay to have all of that stuff on top of the battery like that? Truly curious as I'd like to run a similar setup and was just concerned about potentially damaging something having all of that in there on top. 

Thanks for the video, inspiration, and help. 

6 hours ago, Connor said:

Hey close range, 

Amazing video and storage work there. Quick question, is it safe and okay to have all of that stuff on top of the battery like that? Truly curious as I'd like to run a similar setup and was just concerned about potentially damaging something having all of that in there on top. 

Thanks for the video, inspiration, and help. 

I'd love to store more under my seat but I'm just not a fan of putting Shet on top of the battery, so I don't no matter what, would you store things on top of your car battery, I think not, people may be led to the conclusion your not very bright if you did.

Edited by Stevoh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Connor said:

storage work

The is a post somewhere on here of a guy storing stuff in his swingarm. There is a rubber plug on the RH side that can access the cavernous space.

Peter Fonda (1969 movie "Easy Rider") would have love to have that space....

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
On 8/13/2022 at 4:43 AM, Hibobb said:

The is a post somewhere on here of a guy storing stuff in his swingarm. There is a rubber plug on the RH side that can access the cavernous space.

Peter Fonda (1969 movie "Easy Rider") would have love to have that space....

Here ya go.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the OP @close range for the inspiration dig deeper under the seat for storage.  Note, I run the 1-piece Seat Concepts Tall Comfort. My tool kit is primarily an RRTools kit minus the nice but bulky kit bag. The tools fit in an old bank bag (a relic from the days before electronic funds transfer).

The tools are heavy, so glad to locate them reasonably low and centered although access is a multi-step process. The pretty floral purse "donated" by Mrs. Boondocker contains fittings, fasteners, small tire tools and such. To round out the ensemble, I keep a few Allen wrenches in the tank bag and the air compressor and gauge in a bag on the engine guard.

1281482942_UnderseatStoragepacked.jpg.2edaf1b84ac9f6473443736c1506c221.jpg

Visible in these two pictures are 3 tire irons: a 22mm box end, a 24mm box end, and a 15" long aluminum Tusk brand iron. The orange paracord are extended handles to help keep the irons from sliding down out of reach or at least make retrieving them easier. 

850054256_UnderseatStoragetireirons.jpg.b53e7f65dcb770eab7403e0e21571af3.jpg

Note that the battery terminals are well insulated. Neither the irons - on the negative side, nor the tool bag can cause a short. It's packed tight, nothing moves around.

Here is the exploded view of the kit bags.

1646660422_UnderseatStorageunpacked.jpg.08a694f6844c58a93b309c50b4dc8bc8.jpg

The spoke wrench is retained from the OEM kit. Special additions include the Motion Pro 24mm 3/8" socket adapter that fits on the 24mm box end tire iron and the 27mm 3/8" socket for the rear axle nut.

Now if I could only stuff my spare inner tubes into the rear side fairings. There is plenty of room but access is restricted. I can imagine a "door" on the top side of the fairings, but my fabrication skill isn't on par with my imagination.  

• Like 1