Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mitas Tyres,any good?

Stevoh

Hi all,

Need my standard issue tyres gone, pretty good hoops for the road but off road they are a bit Shet ( a lot Shet actually).

Was in a local bike shop today and the guy was pushing Mitas tyres, quite a convincing blurb to be honest.

I'm in Australia and I've not had anything to do with Mitas tyres, I'm thinking  from my google search they are reasonably popular in Europe, they are kinda priced ok.

Any views on the matter would be much appreciated.

I had the exact same experience today. Left the T7 in for a 10,000km service and chatted to the owner of the bike shop about tyres. He had put Mitas E07+ on his Crf1000l for a trip to Morocco and spoke very highly of them. They seem to be a good fit for my style of riding. 50km commute twice a day during the week and a bit of off road at the weekend. The E07s on the Africa Twin still had plenty of thread after 5000km. The Pirelli Scorpions are good on tarmac but rubbish on muck or wet grass which we have plenty of here in Ireland 

I ran Mitas E07s on my 800GS, over around 15,000 miles. This was after running TKC80s. 

I liked the Mitas, they were a good 50/50 tyre and lasted twice as long as the TKC80s (10,000 miles vs. 5,000 miles a set). They were grippy enough on the road and didn’t have a lot of road noise over a set of 100% road biased tyres. They were ok off road, decent on lose rocks and in dry conditions. Absolutely terrible in the mud, they didn’t shed mud well at all and grip was shocking. 

The TKC80s were much better off road, a lot softer and hence grippier but on road they felt like you were on a bit of a knife edge when pushing and as they wore they dropped into corners a bit like dropping off the edge of a cliff. The TKC80s are also more expensive than any Mitas tyres.

My next set of tyres will be a set of Mitas E09s for the Tenere with the hope of getting closer to the TKC80 performance of road but with a bit more longevity on the road all while being a bit easier on the wallet.

Which Mitas tyre? Your question is like  I'm thinking about buying a Honda are they OK?

It also  depends on the type of of conditions you're likely to encounter  and less likely to see. Tyres types vary depending on your riding lots of tar means you probably should get a more road oriented tyre. So what is your riding style and surfaces?

I bought a mitas e07+ rear to try out. The plus has wider spaced, larger knobbies.  A pirelli scorpion RALLY (more knobby) will go on the front.  Should be a decent 50/50 combo, and I'll post an update after a few miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah awesome, very keen to see how it goes!

I use Mitas tires  for my two Dr650.  I've tried E-09, E-07, MC-23, C-02, they are all good for different type of conditions. I like them for the price and good quality.