Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Should I buy one

Bonehead

Hello all, just browsing the site to learn what I can on the T7. I am considering trading the 1200GS for a new T7 and curious if others have made a similar change. My concerns are the seat height as I am 5’7”   This puts me on tip toes, also I might commute from Sussex into London, how do they ride on motorways. 

• Premium Member

The answer is quite straight forward,
Get to your closest yamaha dealer and take one for a ride.  That should answer everything you need to know. 
Ask if they have a lowered one with a low seat to try as well. 

I should add, that I'm 5' 11" and find my T7 with low seat still quite tall.  Can only flat foot the bike on one side if I shift my weight to that side.  However, the bike is light enough that its very meanageable. 

Tazmool

I went to Yamaha near Farnham but they only had a new T7 to sit on in the showroom and no demo bike in Chichester too. With the  standard saddle it was an effort to get it off the stand on the flat showroom floor. I will look further field next week for a dealer with a demo T7. 

• Premium Member

Go for one.

Motorways a doodle even at high speed no bother. 

The low seat helps and they settle and lower a bit after a 1000 miles or so, I've 29" inseam.

PS You'll be your name if you don't buy one.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, buy one.

I am keen to have a T7, the GS is a good bike but the gizmos are more of a liability than a must have. Some dealers have the 700 tracer, maybe I should test ride one of them to get a feel for the engine at least.

• Premium Member

Or MT-07..... though in Trail Adventure bike it feels even better.

I went from a GSA1200LC to the T7. No doubt in my mind the GS is a better road bike and long distance (road) tourer. However the T7 is a more usable bike. I took the GS off road once, and was concerned all the time about dropping it and picking it up. GS rolled off its side stand once and caused £1k of damage!  I have had the T7 since March and have ridden it off road more than on. It might not be as good a tourer as the GS but it is good enough. Planning to ride it down to Spain in September and take part in an off road event and ride it back. I can ride it to Wales, do some trails and ride it back. All round the T7 gets used more, so makes it a better option for me as I can do more on it. It’s also about half the price of the GS, which was a lot of money to have sitting in the garage and used properly twice a year. I’m 6ft and it is quite tall, but feels a lot lighter than the GS so is easier to manage, at low speeds. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Doogle said:

I went from a GSA1200LC to the T7. No doubt in my mind the GS is a better road bike and long distance (road) tourer. However the T7 is a more usable bike. I took the GS off road once, and was concerned all the time about dropping it and picking it up. GS rolled off its side stand once and caused £1k of damage!  I have had the T7 since March and have ridden it off road more than on. It might not be as good a tourer as the GS but it is good enough. Planning to ride it down to Spain in September and take part in an off road event and ride it back. I can ride it to Wales, do some trails and ride it back. All round the T7 gets used more, so makes it a better option for me as I can do more on it. It’s also about half the price of the GS, which was a lot of money to have sitting in the garage and used properly twice a year. I’m 6ft and it is quite tall, but feels a lot lighter than the GS so is easier to manage, at low speeds. 

..... and there's even room on the bike for miss or Mrs Doogle 😊

• Like 1

Hiya

i came out of a GS1250 Rallye which was a superb bike, they are really good but like everything it has its downfalls, i got my gs stuck in only a little mud but there was no way i could man handle it. See pic.

they are great at distance riding and gravel tracks with no risk of it going down. They are a heavy weight dual purpose machine that does most things well but i didnt make me smile.

however the T7 is a middle weight being 50kgs lighter/ simpler and a Shet load more fun, im not into maxing speed anymore however the Yam T7 does 120 I believe in standard form, faster if u change sprockets.

same range as a GS approx 190 miles but less to fill up.

the farkle options out there are huge with loads of personality bits to put on.

my insurance was 200 cheaper as well!

people used to say build quality .... however they are incredibly well built with off road biased ability to get off the tarmac.

cant wait to take mine across Portugal next year. 

007F772E-CC38-4C26-8E91-B0B00928184E.jpeg

Edited by Matth
  • Like 3

I know I'm biased...but the T7 is a terrific all round bike.  And although it has a big emphasis on the off road...it makes a great road bike too, definitely able to commute and munch up big miles.  I think Freestyle sold there demo bike and are waiting for a replacement...I'm sure there will be a demo bike in the South somewhere...you definitely need a test ride! Cheers,  Steve 

Went from Gs1200 adventure and bought the t7 and never looked back. 

Once you get the seat sorted and riding position you will love the engine and the handling... Much better in my opinion...

Reliability is on another level with Yamaha. 

Wouldn't want to list all issues I've had in one year with the BMW.

It is lighter and more fun and that what matters to me the most.

Try one and see if the magic mist corrupts you as well. 

Aleks

2 hours ago, X Plane said:

..... and there's even room on the bike for miss or Mrs Doogle 😊

No, that’s the daughter. Mrs Doogle prefers the C90 if she’s going pillion 😂

• Haha 1

I am 5' 8'' and I'm minus one leg, the height of the T700 was a concern for me but I find it fine, get  yourself a test ride and I'm sure you'll agree 👍

I don't have the bike...yet...

I am 29" inseam (on the good day) and had a 18 1200GS Low which is like 32" seat height.

as I am still not used to the ass side shift technique, when I was sitting on the bike in the tradeshow, the low seat & low link version had me about 1 foot flat, tippy toe both. That is with me wearing sneakers. With ADV boots, I gain another 1".

So once I am used to the bike and the shift ass technique, I don't see myself having an issue with the bike.

You should try it. I see loots about the enginge beeing great never thought about the enginge sinse i got mine so it must bee good or else i woluld have thought about it,  but the chassi i noticed, its so agile and fast stering but still stabel that im amazed evry ride.

( never had a road bike made after -96 before so maybee all modern bikes are like this)

5` 11" 30" inseam found a bit high at first becouse of the weigt, my enduro bike is higer but never thought of it.

The weight makes it a bit difficult when it gets out of balance but getting used to it so i think its ok whith 30" inseam was thinking lowering but i will leve it as is.