Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Exhaust protection?

al700

Other than side luggage racks it does not seem that there is any adequate protection of the exhaust in case of a fall.

So what would you recommend for protection of the right side of the exhaust?

Edited by al700

Those heed rear crashbars seem to offer some kind of protection but mostly for the rear side plastics...

spacer.png

Had the bike tip over off road one day on the exhaust side. Didn’t seem to be any damage so on I went. Got home and discovered a bit of damage to the swing arm. Turns out the exhaust hanger bent slightly inwards so with each shock compression the exhaust was rubbing the swing arm. Seriously pissed off. That exhaust hanger is made of cheese. Wish I had put some sort of protection (Like what’s above) on the rear of the bike, live and learn. 

SO I am not the only person thinking of this...hah...

got slightly chewed up when I asked this question previously in ADVrider...

I like the low pipe look but KNOWING I WILL tip the bike over, I would like some protection as well.

The only thing I do not know is how strong would the top rack bolt on points be. IIRC it is mounted onto a plastic body, not the steel part? Correct me if I am wrong.

I have the sense that it's not so strongly built in case of static falls mainly...tipovers etc...there was a case where after a tipover the front wheel was not aligned with the steering wheel anymore.I don't know if there are issues because of assembly mistakes by dealers but adventure bikes that are used off-road sooner or later they will have a small fall or tipover...exhaust area seems to be a bit more vulnerable.

Edited by al700

• Premium Member

The solution I went for is to replace the stock pipe with the Huzar High Exit pipe. 
Half-way2.thumb.jpg.53502c1b5ac23e90589114ec2143dd7b.jpg

This pipe tucks up and out of the way. 

Huzar High Exit Pipe

This vid clip shows the high exit pipe, and how it sounds.  In the video you can see where the original oem pipe rubbed against the swingarm and damaged the finish.  This pipe was developed to combat this problem. 

huzar1.thumb.jpg.ca055ab7397a2725fb069f6b7e464d10.jpg

You can see in this photo, the pipe really tuck up in there well. 

There are a few small issues I've noticed:
huzar2.thumb.jpg.1ba98a0416406e69e66a0d0380b0b9ac.jpg

The oem rear turn signal does clear the pipe nicely, but when you're on a rough road or off-road, the signal does bounce around a lot and seems to touch the exhaust tip.

These huge signals seem to be for the North America market only, so in Europe where the pipe was developed, this was not an issue.

huzar3.thumb.jpg.b273943c5b94203123f5fd0289fae07d.jpg

At extreme upper end wheel travel, it seems the PowerBronze rear hugger, just barely touches the pipe as well.  I'm not worried about this however. 

Hope this helps out, and offers an alternative solution.

Tazmool

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

The solution I went for is to replace the stock pipe with the Huzar High Exit pipe. 
Half-way2.thumb.jpg.53502c1b5ac23e90589114ec2143dd7b.jpg

This pipe tucks up and out of the way. 

Huzar High Exit Pipe

This vid clip shows the high exit pipe, and how it sounds.  In the video you can see where the original oem pipe rubbed against the swingarm and damaged the finish.  This pipe was developed to combat this problem. 

huzar1.thumb.jpg.ca055ab7397a2725fb069f6b7e464d10.jpg

You can see in this photo, the pipe really tuck up in there well. 

There are a few small issues I've noticed:
huzar2.thumb.jpg.1ba98a0416406e69e66a0d0380b0b9ac.jpg

The oem rear turn signal does clear the pipe nicely, but when you're on a rough road or off-road, the signal does bounce around a lot and seems to touch the exhaust tip.

These huge signals seem to be for the North America market only, so in Europe where the pipe was developed, this was not an issue.

huzar3.thumb.jpg.b273943c5b94203123f5fd0289fae07d.jpg

At extreme upper end wheel travel, it seems the PowerBronze rear hugger, just barely touches the pipe as well.  I'm not worried about this however. 

Hope this helps out, and offers an alternative solution.

Tazmool

completely forgot about Huzar...

and I can't seem to find its site...little help?

It would like to know if the company sell the high up exhaust header separately to mount an EU-approved muffler which Huzare current does not offer.