Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Close ratio or wide ratio gearbox?

TimeMachine

Ok so do the KTM 790 and Tenere 700 have close ratio or wide ratio gearboxes? We won't really know till the specs come out, but a look at the Duke 790 and MT07 might give us some clues as I suspect the manufacturers would not provide a different set of ratios for the same engine. I have captured the ratios of both bikes in the spreadsheet below and also included the MT09 and MT10 (based on the R1 with a close ratio box for racing) for comparison.

The short answer is the Duke 790 and MT07 look to have wide ratio boxes and are almost identical. The overall ratio change as a percentage from first to 6th is shown in the last column, where the MT07 has an overall ratio of 295% and the KTM790 has 298%. The only notable difference is the change between first and second as shown in the second last column where the MT07 has a ratio change of 34% between first and second, whereas the KTM has a ratio change of 42%. This translates to revving up to 4000 in first then on the change to second the revs drop to 2800. This looks to be a big gap that might translate to not finding a suitable gear to climb steep slopes or wind through tight single track with first too short and second too long, and this would be especially troublesome if the KTM cannot pull smoothly from low revs.

The Speed column is not real, just a calibrated comparison to give an idea of what the speed in each gear might look like at a fixed RPM. So you could imagine if the MT07 was geared to do 81kmh at 10k in first, then top gear at 10k would be 241 kmh. 

Lot's of assumptions here but I found the numbers interesting. I posted this on another forum as well but I think Tenere700.net will become more dedicated to the T7, so putting this here for future reference.

1340979391_GearingComparison.thumb.jpg.f9e8a36682c4635a86ee761d37b65992.jpg

• Premium Member

I can´t see the picture. It is linked to another site. Maybe you can upload it locally on this forum? 🙂 

Fabros

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks Fabros, is it any better now?

Much better. 🙂

Fabros 

its close spaced... 1st and 2nd gear are darn near identical in rpms to 35mph, I rarely if ever used 1st gear... but what you cannot see/add is the CP2 is a Torque Monster... you can cruise around in 3rd at 35mph on the street and give it a decent handful of gas and be at 55mph fairly easily...  the CP2 motor makes a " pancake flat" TQ curve from idle to approx 6.5k rpms then the little CP2 starts running outta "breath" in the mid-upper rpm ranges... 

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

This video might give some clues about the 790 adventure engine. Nerb1 rides a KTM 1190, is a top class adventure bike rider and gives his opinion about the 790 engine including the overall ratios and nature of the engine. There is a lot to like about this engine, but also a few things it could do better.

Archived