Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Husqvarna TR650

TimeMachine

My bike is a modified Husqvarna TR650 with the rider triangle enlarged with lowered pegs, raised seat, and very high handlebars, allowing me to stand up fully straight and reach the bars, the only bike I have ever been able to do that with.

The engine is the BMW 650 single built by Rotax, but hotted up by Husqvarna to produce 58hp. Mine has the "pod mod" fix for a common leaky air box which adds a few horses and gives it a great sound when combined with an after market pipe. This engine is notable as being the smoothest big single on the market, strangely even smoother than the BMW 650 equivalent with the same basic engine. And it can pull from the basement around 2000 revs through to 8000.

Weight is at 181kgs as you see it here and I have no problems with it in the sand or doing 6-7 hour rides due to the relaxed riding position and comfort seat.

20181028_114017-1.jpg

20181110_102417-1.jpg

20181117_163430-2.jpg

20181021_125059-2.jpg

20181028_114052.jpg

20181028_131951.jpg

20181021_132626-7.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice bike. It's not popular in my country, but I heard many good opinions about it. I see right off road tires on it.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, slawmir said:

Very nice bike. It's not popular in my country, but I heard many good opinions about it. I see right off road tires on it.:classic_smile:

Yes. These tires are the Australian Motoz Tractionator Desert, my Husky takes a 140 x 18 on the back. Great tires for rock, gravel and sand and are very cheap (AUD$220 delivered for a set of front and rear tires).

The new Tenere 700 takes a 150 x 18 rear and that is now available from Motoz in the same pattern (although much more expensive because it's tubeless).

• 10 months later...

Hey just a quick couple of question, what do you think of the Motoz tyres for longevity, how noisy are they on the road and your rear fender, is that a factory one cut down?

Cheers

Edited by Rod

• Premium Member

Nice. Enjoy. I thought of one. But More rare and the Resale value will not be as good as Yamaha etc. Though not sure what you are saying here.... The extra piston of a Tenere is quite a bonus on and surprisingly off-road to.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:10 PM, Rod said:

Hey just a quick couple of question, what do you think of the Motoz tyres for longevity, how noisy are they on the road and your rear fender, is that a factory one cut down?

Cheers

The Motoz rear tires are proving very good. The tractionator has a lot of traction and get good wear out of them, but very noisy. I am not as impressed with the front tire (mid corner on gravel it seems to have a certain lean angle that feels loose) so might consider putting a different front tire on next time.

The rear fender is exactly as you have noted, being just the standard fender cut down. You need to do something with the rear fender because it will destroy itself over time (many have snapped off). By shortening it and moving the number plate closer to the rear tail light it puts less stress on the fender and have had no problems with it like that. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, X Plane said:

Nice. Enjoy. I thought of one. But More rare and the Resale value will not be as good as Yamaha etc. Though not sure what you are saying here.... The extra piston of a Tenere is quite a bonus on and surprisingly off-road to.

The low resale value is a joke. Low mileage TR650s can be found for around $4-5k complete with luggage racks, bark-busters, engine protection, bash plates and other nice extras. The reason for the low price is because they are an orphan like the Nuda, based on the BMW platforms but with limited support from either Husqvarna (now related to KTM) or BMW.

What I am saying is it is one of the best single cylinder bikes on the dual-sport/adventure market with low vibration, super reliable, good power (compared to many 600s/650s) and even the weight is manageable in tough off road conditions. I still want the Tenere though.

5 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

The low resale value is a joke. Low mileage TR650s can be found for around $4-5k complete with luggage racks, bark-busters, engine protection, bash plates and other nice extras. The reason for the low price is because they are an orphan like the Nuda, based on the BMW platforms but with limited support from either Husqvarna (now related to KTM) or BMW.

What I am saying is it is one of the best single cylinder bikes on the dual-sport/adventure market with low vibration, super reliable, good power (compared to many 600s/650s) and even the weight is manageable in tough off road conditions. I still want the Tenere though.

Too true, I test rode one when they were new and always liked them. I've an old model Yamaha XT660 and wanted something newer and a little more refined. The one I found has only 4100K's from new and has only done 700k's in the last 4 years! So very much like new. But like all bikes there are some mods that are worth doing. I've found a NOS R&G rear tail tide and this bike already has "bash plate, bark busters, tall screen, power outlet" fitted from new by the dealer. So it's just the better rack and tail tidy and ride it! and for high $4's it great value.

I asked about the tyres as the original tyres are still fitted and a little past their use by date! I will only be doing medium-ruff back roads and some forest trails (maybe) so wanted a more open tyre then what the factory tyres are, but just can't live with the "highway howl" some knobby tyres give! As for the seat...well that's gotta wait as the OZ $ drops even further into the basement I may have to resort to getting it flattened locally! 

Cheers and thanks for replying

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Thought that is what you were saying. Agree, I couldn't find one and in the end I plumped for the more main stream Japanese wisdom that is Yamaha. Enjoy. Motorbike(s): "a wheel out front of an engine with an other wheel out behind". 

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1