Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone flashed their ECU yet? if so, what is your impression?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Howdy, 

My bike is not even broken in yet, but I'm already thinking of sending in my ecu to have it flashed. 
Has anyone here done so already? 
Which shop did you go with? 
What was your impression with the overall service and performance of the bike after the flash? 

I know 2WDW is a board supporter, and they're my 1st choice at the moment. 
I would like to get rid of the jerky on-off-on throttle, install my new header, and maybe get rid of the huge engine compression the T7 has, also get rid of the burble/backfire on closed throttle (I think combined with the snatchy on-off throttle its making my shifts a bit harder than they should be)
However I do feel that its still fairly early for the Tenere 700 (meaning there may be bugs to be worked out in the current flash? ) 

Deciding whether or not to flash, and to whom to flash with is a big decision as apparently your ECU is married/locked in with whomever does the flash, so you're stuck with them afterwards? 

I also do not want to make 91 octane a requirement of the bike, its an adventure bike, it MUST be able to be ran on 87 if need be.

So I'm looking for experiences, ideas etc. 

Tazmool

17 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Howdy, 

My bike is not even broken in yet, but I'm already thinking of sending in my ecu to have it flashed. 
Has anyone here done so already? 
Which shop did you go with? 
What was your impression with the overall service and performance of the bike after the flash? 

I know 2WDW is a board supporter, and they're my 1st choice at the moment. 
I would like to get rid of the jerky on-off-on throttle, install my new header, and maybe get rid of the huge engine compression the T7 has, also get rid of the burble/backfire on closed throttle (I think combined with the snatchy on-off throttle its making my shifts a bit harder than they should be)
However I do feel that its still fairly early for the Tenere 700 (meaning there may be bugs to be worked out in the current flash? ) 

Deciding whether or not to flash, and to whom to flash with is a big decision as apparently your ECU is married/locked in with whomever does the flash, so you're stuck with them afterwards? 

I also do not want to make 91 octane a requirement of the bike, its an adventure bike, it MUST be able to be ran on 87 if need be.

So I'm looking for experiences, ideas etc. 

Tazmool

@2 Wheel DynoWorks has confirmed that the tune is the same as the MT07. They have already flashed the T7 for a few people. 

Twitchy throttle, radiator fan cut in temp, and many other perimeters are at their disposal. 

They know this engine better than any other tuner out there. They also give sweetheart deals on aftermarket exhausts that can't even be published if bought with a tune. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I've just sent out a feeler to 2wdw on their site, will see what they say. 
Exhaust wise, the pipe setup I want they do not have available (plus I already the the exhaust, Huzar high exit slipon already installed, and a Dominator header) 
I'm just a bit worried its a tad early for the T7,  What works well for the FZ/MT-07, may not necessarily be a perfect fit for the T7. 
The decel cut for example, is supposed to reduce the engine compression braking, which I think on the T7 is a bit high, but what is the result on the T7

What about the O2 sensor, does it stay in? should be it removed?  
Charcoal cannister, is there a ecu switch for not checking for one?  (ie if you remove it, will there be an Fi error?) 
Any issues with bike after its been flashed?  
Some questions to be had...

I may be one of the early trials. 

I'm also not crazy about requiring 91 octane fuel, I'm not sure if its a hard requirement or a soft one, meaning  you'll get engine ping/knock after the flash when running 87 or not?   An adv bike should be able to run on any pump gas available.  Again, not a big deal on a MT/FZ 07, but a big deal on a T7.

Tazmool

4 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I've just sent out a feeler to 2wdw on their site, will see what they say. 
Exhaust wise, the pipe setup I want they do not have available (plus I already the the exhaust, Huzar high exit slipon already installed, and a Dominator header) 
I'm just a bit worried its a tad early for the T7,  What works well for the FZ/MT-07, may not necessarily be a perfect fit for the T7. 
The decel cut for example, is supposed to reduce the engine compression braking, which I think on the T7 is a bit high, but what is the result on the T7

What about the O2 sensor, does it stay in? should be it removed?  
Charcoal cannister, is there a ecu switch for not checking for one?  (ie if you remove it, will there be an Fi error?) 
Any issues with bike after its been flashed?  
Some questions to be had...

I may be one of the early trials. 

I'm also not crazy about requiring 91 octane fuel, I'm not sure if its a hard requirement or a soft one, meaning  you'll get engine ping/knock after the flash when running 87 or not?   An adv bike should be able to run on any pump gas available.  Again, not a big deal on a MT/FZ 07, but a big deal on a T7.

Tazmool

They can answer all of those questions and customize the tune exactly the way you want it for all perimeters. The only difference from FZ07 and T7 exhausts will be the fact that the T7 exhausts are mounted higher up, the flow rates should be about the same. 

I think they got most of the cob webs worked out with @Camel ADV 's bike. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That is definitely good to hear, 
I'll most likely go with their flash, and take the down time to install the rest of the stuff I wanted to on the bike (there is still good little pile of stuff to go on)

Tazmool

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So, the original question remains, 

Has anyone on here actually flashed their T7? 
What is your experience? 

Tazmool

Tagging onto this topic, anyone either flashed the T7 and/or installed a full exhaust with or without flash?

• Like 1

My issue is warranty so I’d likely hold off the first year myself. After that though it might happen. 

• Like 1

As someone who works in a location that has a Dyno I'd say be careful as you could easily invalidate your warranty (I can only say for the UK).  We've had guys who have had a map/flash installed on their bikes and have then gone back to their dealer for non-related problem with their bike and have been told that their warranty is invalidated after the dealer plugged the bike in and found that the bike's ECU had been tampered with.