Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What is your dealer quoting for 1st service?

Cruizin

I like my dealer, but they quoted $300 USD for 600 mile service. I'm not paying that for an oil change and a 30 minute throttle body sync. 

I'm using Yamalube and a fresh filter and using my vacuum guages to test adjust throttle bodies myself. I'll write up a tech tip with pics.for others to follow in the tech tip section.

I'm all for my dealer making a profit and staying financially healthy, but I'm more about me staying financially healthy. That's a giant freaking markup, even with labor. 

Heck, I know a great local bike shop that does twin cylinder throttle body syncs for $75 and throws in a free chain clean/adjust.  

• Like 7

What is a throttle body sync? Forgive me, but of the 20 single syldenr dirt bikes I've had in my life, and this being my first twin street bike, is does the throttle need to be adjusted in the first break in? Is it something that just a barrel adjuster will do for slack in the cable? Or something more involved? 

10 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

What is a throttle body sync? Forgive me, but of the 20 single syldenr dirt bikes I've had in my life, and this being my first twin street bike, is does the throttle need to be adjusted in the first break in? Is it something that just a barrel adjuster will do for slack in the cable? Or something more involved? 

On multiple cylinder bikes, you usually have a fuel injector/throttle body per cylinder. On new bikes, they often get out of sync and that phucks everything up. They have to be checked periodically. First one is the most important, on a new bike. 

You can search youtube for videos, it's not that hard to do with vacuum gauges and basic hand tools. Half hour job, if your first time maybe an hour. 

• Like 1

I have checked my '15 Super Tenere three times in 40,000 miles and it has been spot on since new.

I also owned a '12 and two '13s.....all were spot on or required minimal adjustment.  The 1st edition S10s

were known for having a big flat spot off of idle and many owners had the ECU reflashed to smooth things

out......some smoothness could be obtained with a perfect throttle body sync.

Just FYI that I suspect the T7 will be close when the sync is checked.

4 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I have checked my '15 Super Tenere three times in 40,000 miles and it has been spot on since new.

I also owned a '12 and two '13s.....all were spot on or required minimal adjustment.  The 1st edition S10s

were known for having a big flat spot off of idle and many owners had the ECU reflashed to smooth things

out......some smoothness could be obtained with a perfect throttle body sync.

Just FYI that I suspect the T7 will be close when the sync is checked.

i can tell you that it is rare for an Mt-07 (same exact engine) to have TBI's out of sync.  I will still check mine though, just so I know for sure.  I cant imagine the amount of people that are actually gonna pay their dealers $300 for this shet. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

On multiple cylinder bikes, you usually have a fuel injector/throttle body per cylinder. On new bikes, they often get out of sync and that phucks everything up. They have to be checked periodically. First one is the most important, on a new bike. 

You can search youtube for videos, it's not that hard to do with vacuum gauges and basic hand tools. Half hour job, if your first time maybe an hour. 

Thanks man. 

• Like 1

Weird, the EU service manual is showing it only need to synchronize when you reach 6K miles...

did something change for NA version?

Edited by TimmyTheHog

22 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Weird, the EU service manual is showing it only need to synchronize when you reach 10K miles...

did something change for NA version?

Yamaha's customer and dealer experience in Europe is very different than it is in the USA. 

I honestly think it's to get us back into the dealer spending money as soon as possible.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I like my dealer, but they quoted $300 USD for 600 mile service. I'm not paying that for an oil change and a 30 minute throttle body sync. 

I'm using Yamalube and a fresh filter and using my vacuum guages to test adjust throttle bodies myself. I'll write up a tech tip with pics.for others to follow in the tech tip section.

I'm all for my dealer making a profit and staying financially healthy, but I'm more about me staying financially healthy. That's a giant freaking markup, even with labor. 

Heck, I know a great local bike shop that does twin cylinder throttle body syncs for $75 and throws in a free chain clean/adjust.  

He quoted 120$ excl. material. Material is filter and oil.

• Like 1

20200611_112238.thumb.jpg.c6f52db9f73fcf5adf993e300951b007.jpg

I have a sort of list provided by Yamaha (by the dealer) with the prices per single check
no synchronize  needed for the first check

Edited by Richo
  • Like 1

In Uk i have paid £160 in and out the door 😄 happy with that 

The tech tip tutorial with pics would be great. Own and have used vacuum gauges but would like to read or see a tutorial for the bike. 👍🏻

• Moderators

I was surprised that my dealer here in Ontario stated that the first service was not mandatory. He just gave his Yamalube pitch and said keep all receipts to ensure warranty coverage. Was really not expecting that.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

2 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

I was surprised that my dealer here in Ontario stated that the first service was not mandatory. He just gave his Yamalube pitch and said keep all receipts to ensure warranty coverage. Was really not expecting that.

hmmm... be careful as these things might bounce back on you at some point... if it is not in writing 🙂 ... I am happy to pay the dealer for the work because I come from a line of BMW bikes with huge problems and without dealer support you end up spending on broken items and labour what the bike is worth.. 😄 ..that is why I own a Yamaha now 😄 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

I’ve always done my first service on my bikes. GP Bikes in whitby were way to busy to do my first service on my 790 and they said do it yourself, keep your receipts and take pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adrenolin said:

The tech tip tutorial with pics would be great. Own and have used vacuum gauges but would like to read or see a tutorial for the bike. 👍🏻

I would like some people here do a video on the actual T7 too

but before that, here is the page that I found from the MT07 site Cruzin is hosting.

https://fz07.org/thread/765/fz-07-throttle-body-sync/

and a video done by Jakethegardensnake

Figure it's the same engine and looks simple enough...

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

USA owners manual calls for it at 600 miles , but Europe doesn't. 

Must be due to regulations in US.

1 hour ago, Murska said:

In Finland, 1000km service costs 155 € and 10000km costs 220 €.

Yes is similar price in sweden. 

But here also they looks bolts tightened and look for external mods that the dealer mounts.

In Portugal the 1000 km serviçe cost 72€... Only oil and oil filter and check some points on the bike... Lets see how much the 10000 km serviçe...

Thailand 1,000km service = 2,250 Thai Baht = 72 USD.

For a first service (only) the dealer's policy is to charge parts/materials only and not labour.

Seems to be a pretty good deal......!

I paid £220 this week for the first service, that did include having the stock rear spring replaced with an uprated one and shock linkages greased.

£189 here for 1st service. They collected it and returned it (for free according to the invoice) but it still stings a bit for a simple service.