Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Boise to Stanley and dirt roads in between

Cruizin

Left Boise around 1 pm and headed for Stanley, Idaho. Hit some great dirtroads and had a blast sliding that rear scorpion around the corners. Back on pavement there are some hairpins and sweepers galore dropping down from Moore's Creek summit and I'm scrubbing those tires in nicely. 

It's hot out, even up here in Lowman, bike says it's 89 degrees out. I'm stopped at Sourdough lodge for a quick bite to eat, using their guest WiFi,  then on to Stanley. I'll post more pics tonight.

IMG_20200611_145351.jpg

• Like 9

Wow must be incredible to bugger off for some wild camping and off roading, im guessing there are a few wilds scary beasts roaming around the mountains night time such as bears and mountain lions, do they sort of leave you alone if you came across one?

Edited by Matth

So envious! I live in Delaware, land of the everything paved, straight and flat. 🤦‍♂️ Tenere is being bought so I can ride with a bit more comfort to destinations further way then my loved WRR can do. First ‘bigger’ bike for me and looking to do lots of road miles but also the BDRs and perhaps the KAT (1000 mile eastern Kentucky loop) again on it. Several states have their own adventure routes like the 900 mile DakAL loop in South Dakota that I’ve been looking at for a couple years. Hoping I can build my midsized bike skills to tackle these type of trips. 

I’ve been extremely tolerant and patient even these past few weeks but I’m starting to really crave the bike now seeing you folks riding them. Just another month... but, I could be away in Canada for the month of August without the T7 if the borders open up. 

28 minutes ago, Matth said:

Wow must be incredible to bugger off for some wild camping and off roading, im guessing there are a few wilds scary beasts roaming around the mountains night time such as bears and mountain lions, do they sort of leave you alone if you came across one?

We have Black bear, Mountain Lions and Wolf close by and around Boise. Grizzly are in Idaho in force, but not close to Boise, yet.. They all pretty much leave us alone, when you see a Black bear, its running away. You never see the Mountain Lions, but they are all over the place. 

I have seen Grizzly, thru Binoculars from a distance. I hope to never see one up close in the wild. I ride with a 9mm pistol, but it wouldn't do anything to a Grizzly but just piss it off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CGras said:

I really envy you guys in the US when it comes to offroading though. Over here I can't even venture off the road a tiny bit without it being illegal.

You really need to come to Washington and ride sometime. Between Washington, Idaho and Oregon, you could spend your entire life riding offload and never touch pavement. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, CGras said:

Really nice pictures, the perfect environement for such a bike. Would love to see more.

I really envy you guys in the US when it comes to offroading though. Over here I can't even venture off the road a tiny bit without it being illegal. 

@Adrenolin I've been to Delaware twice for work last year. There really is a lot of pavement there. Kinda like where I live.

Its always greener from the other point of view.. unless its Delaware. We have about 15 miles maybe of dirt gravel roads and there is no legal dirt anywhere anymore. Many of us envy the old roads, scenery and history we see is Europe.

1 hour ago, Adrenolin said:

We have about 15 miles maybe of dirt gravel roads and there is no legal dirt anywhere anymore. 

We have endless, literally endless off road to ride. BLM, forest service land, fire roads, logging roads....you name it. You can ride from Oregon to British Columbia over the Cascades Mountains in Washington and barely touch tar. It's called the WABDR route. Look it up. Idaho has one and so does Oregon. I think I've read Utah and Colorado also have them. 

West is the best. The least is in the East. Just kidding, you all have cheap Lobster to eat, so that's cool. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I can have a latte downtown Boise and be on a trail 6000 feet up in 20 minutes flat. In fact, thats what I did in the past two hours. I'm already back home for dinner. 

There's graffiti on those rocks in that beautiful place? Wow. 

Edited by johnnygolucky