Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Intermittent indicator failure

Mark

Hi,

has anyone had intermittent indicator failure (including hazard warning lights)?

I was riding home yesterday and the indicators failed completely. I pulled over and switched engine off / on. This didn't clear the issue.

However after a short while the problem solved itself.

Thanks for any tips .

regards

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I have a failure like the one you described, but I was installing led indicator, and I think it is related to that. But the result the ine you describe. Differently from you they are still faulty.

Loose wires connector at flasher relay? Faulty fuse,  broken but still working till it's warm?

• Premium Member

It could also be the relay itself, worth checking with another relay.

Tazmool

21 hours ago, Louis said:

Loose wires connector at flasher relay? Faulty fuse,  broken but still working till it's warm?

Is it possible to check relay integrity with a multimeter? Fuse is ok. connectors are ok, I checked with multimeter.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, Niel68 said:

Is it possible to check relay integrity with a multimeter? Fuse is ok. connectors are ok, I checked with multimeter.

If you can, try swapping the fuse out.  Sometimes fuses will fail when there is more current, but not enough to show a burn through if testing with a multimeter.  Like a dirty battery post that shows you 12 volts by meter,  but wont deliver much current once it starts being used.  I have seen this scenario before doing electronic repairs, very frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this happen to me today. i had just finished installing a tail tidy and took the bike for a run of about 50km. Everything was working perfectly until 3/4 of the way through my trip I pulled up at an intersection and noticed my indicators were not working. Thinking I may have pinched a cable while installing the tail tidy and popping a fuse I went home parked it up for a bit then had a look at the fuse. It was fine. I refitted it and they start working again. Strange.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:02 AM, Colddog said:

If you can, try swapping the fuse out.  Sometimes fuses will fail when there is more current, but not enough to show a burn through if testing with a multimeter.  Like a dirty battery post that shows you 12 volts by meter,  but wont deliver much current once it starts being used.  I have seen this scenario before doing electronic repairs, very frustrating!

Anytime I have a strange electric issues I SWAP THE FUSE FIRST !!! The fuse look good, test with a meter good but can be FAULTY! Yes very  very frustrating!😭🤪 I have had this faulty fuse issue twice. Very inexpensive to do this first. 👍