Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ethanol Gas ok ??

MghtyThor69

This will be my first F/I bike and was wondering if there is a need to run NON Ethanol gas in these bikes??

I always tried to run NON ethanol gas in my carb bikes but is it necessary for F/I ??

2 minutes ago, MghtyThor69 said:

This will be my first F/I bike and was wondering if there is a need to run NON Ethanol gas in these bikes??

I always tried to run NON ethanol gas in my carb bikes but is it necessary for F/I ??

Half the people will say ethanol is bad, other half will say it's fine.   I avoid Ethanol gas, fortunately I have a non Ethanol station with 91 octane close by my house. 

• Like 1

No problems with 10% ethanol, the bike is designed to use it. In Europe it is becoming more and more present in the pumps. Use any premium gasoline with not ethanol, 5% or 10%.  The details is in the owners manual.

Rather than go by people's assumptions and beliefs, best to look at the science and hard facts. No, it is not okay, for the bike, or the environment. A lot of research out there, just find the one's not funded by the ethanol industry which are biased. 

The revisionist effort to increase the percentage of ethanol blended with U.S. gasoline continues to ignore the major environmental impacts of growing corn for fuel and how it inevitably leads to higher prices for this staple food crop. It remains a bad idea whose time has passed.

"Higher-ethanol blends still produce significant levels of air pollution, reduce fuel efficiency, jack up corn and other food prices, and have been treated with skepticism by some car manufacturers for the damage they do to engines. Growing corn to run our cars was a bad idea 10 years ago. Increasing our reliance on corn ethanol in the coming decades is doubling down on a poor bet."

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally don't like to run ethanol gas if I can help it...sadly it only comes in high Octane grade.

But if I have to run it, 10% i believe is the recommended by the manufacture?

However, if you are STORING the bike for anything longer than 6 months, 1000000% non-ethanol as ethanol is hygroscopic means it likes to suck water from the air which can cause bad juju to rubber, seals, and potentially rust...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

I personally don't like to run ethanol gas if I can help it...sadly it only comes in high Octane grade.

But if I have to run it, 10% i believe is the recommended by the manufacture?

However, if you are STORING the bike for anything longer than 6 months, 1000000% non-ethanol as ethanol is hygroscopic means it likes to suck water from the air which can cause bad juju to rubber, seals, and potentially rust...

That's what I tend to think, if your storing- no ethanol and use fuel stabilizer. I would tend to think with F/I it wouldn't matter as much like it would with carbs.. I have a station close by with the good stuff and I'll always fill up there first...would like a way to mount a rotopax since I already have one to extend the range a little.

By they way just got home from the dealer..the unicorn is here!!  Didn't get to bring it home though, insurance office closed before we were done..

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, very helpful and drama free forums. Glad I found you guys !!

IMG_20200616_163008.jpg

• Like 2

It is getting harder and harder to find non ethanol fuel, some of my local gas stations have it but only 88 octane and more often than not they are out.