Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pain in the ass to wash

Cruizin

I went charging thru the muddy trails in the foothills above Boise on Sunday. Got my bike absolutely filthy caked in mud. I was blasting thru large mud puddles  , streams had broke out on many hillsides from all the sudden rain lately and I blasted right thru those bastards too. 

This damn bike dares you to ride like nutcase off road, it's always telling me "woo hoo! phuck ya Rob, faster faster, I can do it!" .  

Well, yeah this bike can do a lot more off road than I imagined. But damn is there a lot of nooks and crannies for mud to hide in. My bike looked clean after I scrubbed and rinsed and rescrubbed and re rinsed it, while it was still wet.  Took it for a ride to dry it off, put it back in the garage and then I found all the mud spots I missed. And a bunch of em are a pain in the ass to get to.  I had to remove the side clear plastics next to the screen to get the mud out of the inside.  I had to remove and get creative with wet wipes to get the nooks and crannies all over this bike. 

I rode it like a dirt bike, but it's alot harder to wash than a dirt bike is.  Im gonna have to get creative and make some funny shaped cleaning devices. 

My bike is a crazy bitch off road. And I love crazy bitches.  Ride em hard, put em away wet. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I went charging thru the muddy trails in the foothills above Boise on Sunday. Got my bike absolutely filthy caked in mud. I was blasting thru large mud puddles  , streams had broke out on many hillsides from all the sudden rain lately and I blasted right thru those bastards too. 

This damn bike dares you to ride like nutcase off road, it's always telling me "woo hoo! phuck ya Rob, faster faster, I can do it!" .  

Well, yeah this bike can do a lot more off road than I imagined. But damn is there a lot of nooks and crannies for mud to hide in. My bike looked clean after I scrubbed and rinsed and rescrubbed and re rinsed it, while it was still wet.  Took it for a ride to dry it off, put it back in the garage and then I found all the mud spots I missed. And a bunch of em are a pain in the ass to get to.  I had to remove the side clear plastics next to the screen to get the mud out of the inside.  I had to remove and get creative with wet wipes to get the nooks and crannies all over this bike. 

I rode it like a dirt bike, but it's alot harder to wash than a dirt bike is.  Im gonna have to get creative and make some funny shaped cleaning devices. 

My bike is a crazy bitch off road. And I love crazy bitches.  Ride em hard, put em away wet. 

Need some dirty pics Rob.....😆

Rich

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

One tip from the below video (24:31) was to cover the side clear plastics with some other material so that it's not so onerous to clean them. He mentions a lot of dirt building up and it's hard to clean those.

Edited by ADVUSA

My wife always tells me I spend to much time cleaning my bikes, I tried to explain to here that cleaning was part of preventive maintenance because you had to touch everything and would notice any problems.

• 5 months later...

I just discovered the same thing. Where the pipes mount to the engine, that place is caked and very hard to get to.

But, does it matter if its slightly dirty? The more I clean it, the more dirt I discover and I just get more obnoxious with the cleaning. Its not like mud will cause the metal parts to break..

Edited by JayD

Ive been thinking about something like that lately. Their are some out there that are supposedly meant for the T7 but they look kinda cheap...

i made my own mudflap. 3mm rubber attached to the rear of front mudguard. the longer the better .stops most of the crud hitting the front of the engine.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, Enduro boy said:

I fitted one of these, its stopped a lot of crud hitting the front of the engine. 

s-l400.jpg

Width at mounting point is 120mm or 4 3/4". width at widest point is 140mm or 5 1/2".

Considering buying this. Could you take a pic of yours?

Fender extenders work great, well unless you go with the high fender then you will get alot more mud on the front. 

pyramid-plastics-extenda-fenda-stick-fit

You're right, the thing collects dirt in all the places. I was always finding patches that I missed as I'm drying. I bought one of those muc-off motorcycle pressure washers to help out on trail days. Its made it big difference in time scrubbing, especially the foaming wand for their soap. I started using their protectant a couple months ago, but I'm still not sure if I like it more or less than ACF50. Both of them seem to do a good job of making it easier to get the nooks and crannies clean. 

I haven't had to do much aside from using a wheel brush and a big soft one for the major surfaces after I foam it down. Then spray it off and dry it with one of those workspace blowers from Harbor Freight. Took about 30 minutes to wash and dry. Makes it no question about hitting a muddy trail, since I have an easy way to wash it now. 

(I tried S100 on it, and foolishly I didnt think about the enameled/thinly anodized bits; and it took off some of the finish on the water pump pipes and a fitting on the rear brake piston. Stopped using that and switched to the Muc-Off bike cleaner. That has been good for the whole bike so far.)

Cleanbike.png

Edited by EODTenere
  • Like 1

Spray 9!!!!    I've been using it for years my dirt bikes.  Trick is to blast off the heavy with pressure washer (from a safe distance), then hit it with spray 9. let it sit for a few mins, then hit it again with the pressure washer.

If you need your bike any cleaner then then that... then you bought the wrong bike, go get a chrome'd out chopper. 😉