Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fitting decals...

Great Escape

Question

Does anyone have any tips/advice on fitting decals....?. I will be fitting them onto painted panels and then getting them lacquered over. Any advice gratefully received!!  Cheers,  Steve 

7 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Does anyone have any tips/advice on fitting decals....?. I will be fitting them onto painted panels and then getting them lacquered over. Any advice gratefully received!!  Cheers,  Steve 

Largely depends on the decal material. If it is automotive vinyl then just clean the surface really well and use a heat gun. If it is more of a traditional wet application, just a piece of plastic with no sharp edges (like a credit card) for a squeegee and a spray bottle of lightly soapy water. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Measure the decal you want to fit them mark the area you want to fit it with a border of electrical tape or similar, this will ensure you get it where you want it & straight first time. 

Also i find it better to rough up the area slightly on plastics, use a very fine sand paper to take the sheen off, you shouldn't have an issue with it peeling later. 

1 hour ago, sbeck09 said:

Largely depends on the decal material. If it is automotive vinyl then just clean the surface really well and use a heat gun. If it is more of a traditional wet application, just a piece of plastic with no sharp edges (like a credit card) for a squeegee and a spray bottle of lightly soapy water. 

Thanks,  appreciate it.  I didn't realise you can put the adhesive coated decal onto soapy water and it will still stick!. Cheers,  Steve 

1 hour ago, T7lee said:

Measure the decal you want to fit them mark the area you want to fit it with a border of electrical tape or similar, this will ensure you get it where you want it & straight first time. 

Also i find it better to rough up the area slightly on plastics, use a very fine sand paper to take the sheen off, you shouldn't have an issue with it peeling later. 

Thanks for info...the tip about lining up  using the tape is great.  Fingers crossed!! Cheers,  Steve 

plenty of vids on how to on youtube. well worth a look before atempting to fit your decals. quite easy to fit but to do it well it takes a little practice.

• Like 1

The soapy water is for the sticky side, you spray on, apply, and then you can move it around and find the spot you want it at, use credit card to remove air bubbles, let dry. Vuelah!

• Like 2