Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear Blinkers Falling Off? (OEM, US Model)

mattm

I rode off road today for the first time (it was awesome!). I'm just getting back in to riding, so I didn't push it hard compared to videos I've seen of other guys riding. In fact, I trailered it there and back. 

When I got back, I found both rear blinkers we're about half out (see pic - the rubber grommet was working its way out). Anybody had issues like this? 

I've thought I would replace the blinkers eventually, but based on this, that might need to move up the priority list. 

(Admin, please put this post wherever is most appropriate, if needed.)

IMG_20200621_141908.thumb.jpg.852b17166b09698f5010589124c7f44c.jpgIMG_20200621_141912.thumb.jpg.8a9e3666ade1466a913603667b28a5f7.jpg

• Like 2

You must be on some very bumpy roads!

Granted, my GS did the same when I was on some gravels for a long period of time.

Just pop them back in and you are good to go.

• Like 1

@mattm

Questions;

How much do you weight?

Did you set the sag on your suspension?

How high on the rear preload did you have to go in order to achieve the proper sag setting of 2-2.6" or 30-33% of full travel?

This may have nothing to do with it, but I could see a case were the preload was set extremely high to achieve the proper sag setting resulting in a much harsher reaction to initial bump transmitting the harshness i.e. higher G-load to things like the flexible blinkers.  If the preload is set high a stiffer spring and a lower preload may take care of the problem.

Now if you weigh under 175lbs. and your preload is set at something less than 10 clicks, never mind, you can just ignore everything I just said, and credit it to the rantings of an old man.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 1

@UtahJack

I've actually not touched the factory/dealer settings. I feel like I'm just learning to ride again and haven't worried with the sag yet. I definitely plan to, I just haven't so far. 

As for weight, I'm heavier, so I wouldn't have thought suspension settings to be an issue considering all I've read about the rear spring being too light/soft. That said, it didn't feel like it was wallowing around, so preload may well be dialed up too high. I'll check it (and go ahead and get the sag set correctly). Thanks

Most likely your compression settings are too much making for a bumpy ride, most  users have found this. It's like a pneumatic door closer if you  adjust it to the max the door will close very slowly, open up the setting and the door will slam in your face. So you  are looking for the  Goldylocks setting,  just right!

The  stock shocker spring is for a  lightweight rider so it's quite soft! Many have changed to a heavier spring, including myself.  If you increase the preload on the stock spring in an attempt to achieve correct sag with your weight ("heavier ") rider you will probably max out without actually achieving correct sag. The spring doesn't get stronger! It just lifts the back up, the spring is in a more compressed state, a common misconception is it makes the spring heavier. 

• Like 1

I could have seen this coming from a mile away. Suspension settings aside, any off-road terrain harsher than a well-maintained dirt road will cause this. Think about it, you have a mass dangling off the side of a rubber mount that uses a thin piece of plastic to hold it in. Yamaha knew these would be removed from 90% (wish it was 100%) of these bikes so they cut all cost and grabbed these straight from the FZ/MT07 parts bin. 

I'm running the Hightechspeed Proton 500 flushmounts. They are painfully bright and nothing is hanging off the bike. Win-win

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sbeck09 said:

I could have seen this coming from a mile away. Suspension settings aside, any off-road terrain harsher than a well-maintained dirt road will cause this. Think about it, you have a mass dangling off the side of a rubber mount that uses a thin piece of plastic to hold it in. Yamaha knew these would be removed from 90% (wish it was 100%) of these bikes so they cut all cost and grabbed these straight from the FZ/MT07 parts bin. 

I'm running the Hightechspeed Proton 500 flushmounts. They are painfully bright and nothing is hanging off the bike. Win-win

Which Yamaha model did you select ?

J

9 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

Which Yamaha model did you select ?

J

FZ07. The downside is the rear signals will require you to extend the wires on the Protons since they are designed to plug and play, but the Tenere has it's connector down in the middle of the left side of the subframe. The actual plug itself is identical.

Oh and you'll need an LED friendly relay. Easily found on Amazon and will also plug right in.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sbeck09 said:

FZ07. The downside is the rear signals will require you to extend the wires on the Protons since they are designed to plug and play, but the Tenere has it's connector down in the middle of the left side of the subframe. The actual plug itself is identical.

Oh and you'll need an LED friendly relay. Easily found on Amazon and will also plug right in.

Thanks.  Good info

J

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mattm said:

I rode off road today for the first time (it was awesome!). I'm just getting back in to riding, so I didn't push it hard compared to videos I've seen of other guys riding. In fact, I trailered it there and back. 

When I got back, I found both rear blinkers we're about half out (see pic - the rubber grommet was working its way out). Anybody had issues like this? 

I've thought I would replace the blinkers eventually, but based on this, that might need to move up the priority list. 

(Admin, please put this post wherever is most appropriate, if needed.)

IMG_20200621_141908.thumb.jpg.852b17166b09698f5010589124c7f44c.jpgIMG_20200621_141912.thumb.jpg.8a9e3666ade1466a913603667b28a5f7.jpg

Unfortunately with big floppy rubber blikers this will happen from time to time, a quick cure is on the underside wrap a thick riptie, or cabel tie for the yanks in the room around them & it shouldn't happen again. 

Edited by T7lee
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, sbeck09 said:

Yeah, they're pretty generic. Those Protons look cool though. Do you have any pics of them on your T7? 

10 hours ago, mattm said:

Yeah, they're pretty generic. Those Protons look cool though. Do you have any pics of them on your T7? 

20200618_000913.thumb.jpg.c2a0e254fd2c78ad2be3abfc6a97a282.jpg

• Like 4

Are they the model for the FZ07 since the Tenere 700 isn't listed?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gekkdroid said:

Are they the model for the FZ07 since the Tenere 700 isn't listed?

Correct

Those protons are nice, and I'm sure worth the price, however with the exchange and shipping to Canada, was a little crazy for a small piece of plastic and some LED. I ordered something similar of TST, got it within 3 days, got all 4 signals, and Yamaha connectors, for less than half the price

https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-front-flushmount-turn-signals-yamaha.html

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 6/23/2020 at 6:12 AM, sbeck09 said:

@sbeck09

Can you please post some pictures showing the rear turn signals?   I'm going to be using a Camel ADV Tail Tidy and wondering about fitment and appearance.  Thanks.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
On 6/23/2020 at 7:30 AM, ScorpionT16 said:

Those protons are nice, and I'm sure worth the price, however with the exchange and shipping to Canada, was a little crazy for a small piece of plastic and some LED. I ordered something similar of TST, got it within 3 days, got all 4 signals, and Yamaha connectors, for less than half the price

@ScorpionT16

If you've got your TST Turn signals, inquiring minds would like to see pictures front and rear. Just saying. 😉

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, CAJW said:

@sbeck09

Can you please post some pictures showing the rear turn signals?   I'm going to be using a Camel ADV Tail Tidy and wondering about fitment and appearance.  Thanks.

I run a modified R&G tail tidy kit which comes with cutouts sized for the factory turn signals. That allowed me to match the setup I have on the  front. I did have to extend the wires about 6-8", but that was simple enough for me.

20200715_213419.thumb.jpg.34745decc87e1d0e01e59f1d270c1bec.jpg

20200715_213410.thumb.jpg.e99979e51142ab1d199e6779b06fca79.jpg

Hopefully that's helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2020 at 8:23 AM, sbeck09 said:

I run a modified R&G tail tidy kit which comes with cutouts sized for the factory turn signals. That allowed me to match the setup I have on the  front. I did have to extend the wires about 6-8", but that was simple enough for me.

20200715_213419.thumb.jpg.34745decc87e1d0e01e59f1d270c1bec.jpg

20200715_213410.thumb.jpg.e99979e51142ab1d199e6779b06fca79.jpg

Hopefully that's helpful.

Pretty sweet garage!

On 6/23/2020 at 8:30 AM, ScorpionT16 said:

Are you on a T7? they don't list Tenere's on their bike finder so I'm wondering which part number you ordered that ended up fitting.  Thanks in advance

Protons up front, Rizoma Action Turn Signals in the back:

IMG_20200807_102811.jpg

IMG_20200807_102811_1.jpg

IMG_20200811_093701.jpg

IMG_20200807_102823.jpg

IMG_20200807_102824.jpg

Edited by Gekkdroid
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2020 at 3:12 PM, sbeck09 said:

This is amazing you saved my ass! I cant fit my HPCORSE Exhaust with my camel adv tail tidy. This solves it

IMG_4245.png

IMG_4246.png

Edited by Oxxa

On 12/6/2021 at 12:30 AM, Gekkdroid said:

Protons up front, Rizoma Action Turn Signals in the back:

IMG_20200807_102811.jpg

IMG_20200807_102811_1.jpg

IMG_20200811_093701.jpg

IMG_20200807_102823.jpg

IMG_20200807_102824.jpg

Can i use protons in the back?