Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

A newbie from NC

HoboHighlander

Hey folks!

Not sure where to start my posting so I'll just throw this up here.

Got into riding last fall by picking up a '99 F650 from my brother. I've done lots of bikepacking  up in Pisgah and after seeing so many folks out having fun on motorcycles I decided I've got to give it a try.

Been fun so far but being on a 20 year old bike I'm of course itching for something a bit more modern and reliable (this bike took some nursing but I seem to have gotten it running pretty smoothly now). Considering the options between the T7 (pretty similar in most regards to the F650 but obviously superior in many departments) and the Adventure 390 (smaller and lighter than the F650 but probably still a big upgrade).

The problem is the Funduro actually checks a lot of boxes for me so I'm not even sure its a justifiable purchase.

In any case, if I were to decide to try and get a T7 does anyone have any ideas of straightforward dealers in NC that I could work with? The local shop here in Durham is SportDurst and I'll check in with them but they were a little clueless and salesman-y when I went through there awhile back inquiring about the Adventure 390.

Thanks and looking forward to delving into the T7 community here!

--Bobo

18 minutes ago, HoboHighlander said:

Hey folks!

Not sure where to start my posting so I'll just throw this up here.

Got into riding last fall by picking up a '99 F650 from my brother. I've done lots of bikepacking  up in Pisgah and after seeing so many folks out having fun on motorcycles I decided I've got to give it a try.

Been fun so far but being on a 20 year old bike I'm of course itching for something a bit more modern and reliable (this bike took some nursing but I seem to have gotten it running pretty smoothly now). Considering the options between the T7 (pretty similar in most regards to the F650 but obviously superior in many departments) and the Adventure 390 (smaller and lighter than the F650 but probably still a big upgrade).

The problem is the Funduro actually checks a lot of boxes for me so I'm not even sure its a justifiable purchase.

In any case, if I were to decide to try and get a T7 does anyone have any ideas of straightforward dealers in NC that I could work with? The local shop here in Durham is SportDurst and I'll check in with them but they were a little clueless and salesman-y when I went through there awhile back inquiring about the Adventure 390.

Thanks and looking forward to delving into the T7 community here!

--Bobo

Welcome to the forum! 

@HoboHighlander

Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to the world of two wheels, here is a little advise from someone who has been riding for over 50 years.

When you are on the street, ride like you are invisible, they don't see you, ride like it.

Hope you get your T7 they appear to be exceptional motorcycles, I say "appear" because I won't have mine tell Saturday.

12 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@HoboHighlander

Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to the world of two wheels, here is a little advise from someone who has been riding for over 50 years.

When you are on the street, ride like you are invisible, they don't see you, ride like it.

Hope you get your T7 they appear to be exceptional motorcycles, I say "appear" because I won't have mine tell Saturday.

Thanks UtahJack!

I'm not totally fresh on 2 wheels...had some trail motorcycles as a kid growing up and haven't owned a car for 10 years...only bicycles for me.

But your advice is duly noted; same policy I've had to abide to on bicycles for years. I suppose the bigger threat on motorcycles is that everything happens much faster!

Saturday can't come fast enough for you...look forward to hearing about your pickup!

• Like 1