Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone tried the SMART Adventure Program / BMW Performance riding center training?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello fellow Canucks, 

Has anyone tried the SMART Adventure Program / BMW Performance riding center training? 

https://www.smartadventures.ca/summer-activities.html

https://www.bmwhorseshoe.com/

I'm specifically interested in their 2 day adventure riding training series.  It looks like it would be a lot of fun, and now that I actually have a bike that could do the event, I'm wondering if anyone has been there and could report what they found? 

Tazmool

• Like 1

I looked into it last year and inquired, and they are very good and friendly people, was looking at it earlier and it was closed due to COVID, maybe they are up and running now. I'm down to do a 2 day event. 

Lee at Rally Connex also offers private classes, and next year Chris Birch is doing an iron ADV class i believe here in ontario

• Like 2

• Moderators

Great post. Yeah I saw that Chris Birch one a couple years ago and thought I had better take advantage of that opportunity if it happens again. I will likely try to to that and the Dacre Rally with the T7 if they link it up on the same week again. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Premium Member

Hmm...
Sounds promising, maybe we can get a bunch of T7 owners in on the same dates (when the programs are actually running again)

Tazmool

• Like 2

While i can not attest to the Canadian location, I live in South Carolina where BMW has a facility and runs the same program.  I've had several friends participate and they have absolutely raved about it and never had an ill word. It's definitely on my list to do.  (I know I'm giving you third hand information, but figured it's worth something)

• Premium Member

I have heard good things about the BMW adventure courses, and the fact that they are open to any and all bikes is very nice too. 

I'll keep my eyes and ears open, hopefully later in the summer once the lock-down eases up and or goes away, we'll get a bunch of T7 owners in on a course!  It would be a fun day, learning how to actually ride the T7 off-road, and meet up with other T7 owners.

Tazmool

• Like 1

Last year I rode up there on my vstrom and took the half day dirt bike and half day dual sport course.

The instructors are all very friendly and knowledgeable in showing the techniques. They make sure the groups sizes are small enough to keep everyone engaged and they grouped the riders together based on skill level when I was there. 

I learned more from the dirt bike course, since I've never been offroad properly until that day. They took us into the woods to learn some basic techniques and proper form for maybe an hour. Then it was single tracks for the rest of the morning/early afternoon and it was an absolute blast.

The second half was riding a F850 GS on mostly flat backroads with some sections of loose gravel and dirt. It wasn't much of a departure from my regular riding on my Suzuki. However, I think it was toned down because it was only a half day and I was the only rider that signed up for it that day. 

Overall it was a very pleasant experience; I'd definitely be interested in taking the BMW adventure courses there!

~Al

• Like 1