Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Does Vstrom Lowering Links work with T7?

TimmyTheHog

So asked this question in the tech Q section but didn't get anything, so figure I try my luck here.

Basically would the lower links of the Vstrom (650 in this case) work with the T7?

Why would they, they are for a different bike, unless you can measure them exactly, then stay away from them, do you want to risk using an inferior part on something as important as suspension, the stress on the rear linkage is tremendous under compression, so anything not tried & tested is risking your health, especially when proven and tested alternatives are out there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

Why would they, they are for a different bike, unless you can measure them exactly, then stay away from them, do you want to risk using an inferior part on something as important as suspension, the stress on the rear linkage is tremendous under compression, so anything not tried & tested is risking your health, especially when proven and tested alternatives are out there.

@Ktmmitch well, that throws my idea out of the window...hah...but appreciate for the reply, figure I give a shout out before I try something stupid since I am not an expert in this area and have the parts in hand...well, not again at least. 🤣

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

On 6/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, TimmyTheHog said:

So asked this question in the tech Q section but didn't get anything, so figure I try my luck here.

Basically would the lower links of the Vstrom (650 in this case) work with the T7?

I have fitted the genuine Yamaha ones to my bike and they work a treat. The cost was minimal and they are designed specifically for the Tenere It’s not an area of the bike that I would experiment with just to save a few dollars.

• Like 1

The V strom  my budy has, has a three hole link and the t7 has a bone shaped two hole. I just got a nice stainless -15mm set from T7 Rally for 1/2 the cost of the yamaha -20mm set.  I'm going to compare them to the originals and see if I can get some different sizes made bye a local with a cnc plazma cutter. Even if I have to drill the holes myself.

Yamaha wants over a hundred dollars Canadian for two pieces of stamped out flat bar and they don't even clean the burrs off before anodizing..

• Like 1

Thanks again for the input.

my ORIGINAL goal is def getting one of the Rally Raid Lower Link (not sure which one yet), but had a brain fart regarding to the Vstrom links...as for some reason Vstrom stuff are just that much cheaper...*shrug*

I normally buy OEM stuff from the states previously as it is so much cheaper and go across the border to pick up as I am in Canada. Now with this stupid C, I can't and am at the mercy of the local dealers which tbh are mediocre at the best...

• Sad 1