Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New bike reserved on May 22, not here yet. Thoughts?

Kevin

Greetings friends - new member here and this is my first post. I have concerns about how I've ordered my new bike and would love any advice.

On May 22, I reserved my bike on the yamahamotorsports.com website via an invitation for me to order. I received a reservation number and contacted my local Yamaha dealer here in Denver. He did not wish to take the $500 deposit (took, but did not yet charge my credit card), and he told me the bike should be arriving in roughly three weeks.

It's now June 24, and my dealer says he can't give me a delivery status update. Is there anything I can do to facilitate this process? Summer is slipping by!

Thanks!

Ask them for a claim number. Sounds like they might have missed the pre-order window. 

I resemble those remarks.  I'm in So Calif.  Same story, but dealer charged my "refundable" deposit.  I've called a few times since.  The story keeps getting more vague.  Not yet, we'll call you when it's in.  All you can do is sit, wait, make your wish list, plan trips, not much else you can do.  I'm going to wait it out.  I'll get one at some point.  I was really hopeful in the beginning, but I'm trying to forget about it now.  It's far less frustrating.  I've got another bike to ride, and the riding weather is best in the fall here anyway.  Take you time Yamaha.  I'm not going anywhere.

Also, it seems if you have a Yamaha only dealership, they got serviced first.  Mine sells everything and probably not that high in Yamaha's "loyalty" list.   Lastly, supply chains are unpredictable in the best of times.  Dealer closures, jobs loss, etc.  Waiting seems appropriate for the current times.

8 hours ago, tj3089 said:

Ask them for a claim number. Sounds like they might have missed the pre-order window. 

Great idea! I'll call them tomorrow and follow up. Seems like this might be the "defining moment" and I appreciate the help!

-Kevin

8 hours ago, rhicks said:

Dealer name?

Coyote Motor Sports. Any experience with them?

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

Also, it seems if you have a Yamaha only dealership, they got serviced first.  Mine sells everything and probably not that high in Yamaha's "loyalty" list.   Lastly, supply chains are unpredictable in the best of times.  Dealer closures, jobs loss, etc.  Waiting seems appropriate for the current times.

Hi Brownie...thanks for the response and more than anyone else, YOU can feel my pain! I'm going to call the dealer and ask for a claim number...maybe that might work for you too.

@Kevin

Wow Kevin I can understand your frustration, you are not alone there seem to be a lot of people in the same boat. Hopefully you will get a big surprise and call for your claim number only to be informed that the bike has arrived and is being assembled. Listening to some interviews of Yamaha representatives if you missed the initial allotment through the PDP it may be a while. But it sound like you went through Yamaha correctly and received reservation number so I would think your good. I personally missed out on the PDP program so I am not sure about the whole claim number thing, you might tell the forum what your reservation number was and see how it compares to other who have received their bike and those that have not. Good luck and hope you are riding your new bike soon.   

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Coyote Motor Sports. Any experience with them?

No.  I was going through GForce in Lakewood.  Bad experience with them, no claim number, poor communication, so I pulled the deposit.   I tried like six times calling Coyote and never could get anyone to pick up so I forgot about them.  Vickery seemed reasonable but when I talked to them in March they said the $500 was non-refundable so I left them behind too.  Grand Prix's quote was like $500 more than what GForce quoted plus I was told the $500 was non-refundable.  I passed there too.  Please my last bike purchase was $8500 elsewhere (in Loveland) but GP wanted $9600 for the same model.  Fay Myers doesn't sell Yamaha so unfortunately I couldn't give Ross my business.   I haven't been that impressed with the dealers in Denver. 

3 hours ago, UtahJack said:

@Kevin

Wow Kevin I can understand your frustration, you are not alone there seem to be a lot of people in the same boat. Hopefully you will get a big surprise and call for your claim number only to be informed that the bike has arrived and is being assembled. Listening to some interviews of Yamaha representatives if you missed the initial allotment through the PDP it may be a while. But it sound like you went through Yamaha correctly and received reservation number so I would think your good. I personally missed out on the PDP program so I am not sure about the whole claim number thing, you might tell the forum what your reservation number was and see how it compares to other who have received their bike and those that have not. Good luck and hope you are riding your new bike soon.   

Reservation # was given to customer after submitting request on Yamaha website.  Customer was to give Reservation # to Dealer with deposit. Dealer then submits a "Claim" for the bike for the customer.  The Claim # is time stamped and is the only proof that you did in fact get a PDP bike ordered.  If your dealer can't give you your claim # they didn't order you a PDP bike, they dropped the ball, or are extremely lazy and know they don't need you as a customer because there are 100 other guys waiting for the T7...or worse they just don't care.

Claim # = a bike ordered for you that should be in your possesion before August.  Incidentally,  once the bike is shipped it is "Invoiced" and the dealer is required to deliver it to you no later than 30days after that. 

J

@Goldentaco

Thanks I do appreciate you taking time to fill me in on the process, well I really hope that Kevin finds that he does have a claim number, or even better that his bike is in and all this becomes mute.

The feed back I hear from all these people waiting and praying for their bikes, there has got to be a better way, or at least this way could be run much more efficiently, the anguish that the current process has caused is bordering on cruel and unusual punishment. I am sure this stupid pandemic and the disruption in manufacturing and shipping has only complicated things, truly sad. I heard some Yamaha representatives in a interview say that the next allotment of bikes, due to the pandemic, will hopefully be available in September, and they didn't sound real positive about that time frame. Shoot if your like me that would leave only a month or two before the first snow that usually hits sometime in November.

At this point forget the claim number. We're in the next "phase". If your dealer got the claim, then they should see the order in YDS with estimated ship timeframe. This is what you really want to know. 

IMG_20200603_185734473.jpg

Yamaha Corp. could do the right thing and notify the prospective purchaser direct as an email and phone number WAS provided to them when obtaining a confirmation number.  How hard would that be?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Yamaha Corp. could do the right thing and notify the prospective purchaser direct as an email and phone number WAS provided to them when obtaining a confirmation number.  How hard would that be?

Bwahahaha....

Yeeeeah, they only got that in order to confirm the reservation holder was a real customer. After that, go pound sand. 😜

• Like 2

Kevin;

You are not alone in being left out of the first round of T7 deliveries. As others have stated, there are many of us with claim numbers who are still waiting. My SE Colorado dealer can best be described as apathetic to the entire Tenere process. It’s a small, multi-brand dealership in Pueblo. As far as the second round of deliveries are concerned, there is as much speculation out there as there was for the first round. I’ve read July through September as possible delivery dates and am leaning towards the latter. My dealer’s comment is nothing is sure until he receives the invoice from Yamaha. Were you able to get a copy of your claim form? Yamaha sales bulletin 20-65 suggest that dealers supply customers with a copy.  

Get a KTM 790 Adventure R and ride. That's what I'm doing. I put down a refundable deposit 6 months ago for the 700, which meant nothing. Then, did the frantic cage match thing, 9am reservation then got a claim number which also meant nothing. Pretty hard to talk me into ever spending another dollar on anything Yamaha after this mess. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

If I were you I would go for the Rally edition version. If I've known there will be one I would have waited.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, support and great ideas! Happy to say that after a chat with the dealer an hour ago, I now have a claim number. If this is helpful for anyone, it's 744262, with the order placed May 22. By giving that out, and if any of you have a bike ordered, maybe we can create some kind of tracking system for expected delivery, as it's still not showing up for an estimated ship/delivery date in Yamaha's system. The dealer was going to call the rep to see if there was any more information...

I thought Christmas gifts were a challenge, but it's nothing like ordering a new bike for sure!

• Like 1

@Kevin

Glad to hear it, this sounds positive, I really hope it isn't long, I understand that the PDP sold out in a manner of hours, so it isn't likely that they committed to more units than would be available. It most likely is just a logistics issue. So what color did you choose? Are you like most of us and already have a box or two of parts waiting for a bike?

Hope it isn't long before your bombing down the trails and all the anguish of this time is just a distant memory.

26 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Kevin

Glad to hear it, this sounds positive, I really hope it isn't long, I understand that the PDP sold out in a manner of hours, so it isn't likely that they committed to more units than would be available. It most likely is just a logistics issue. So what color did you choose? Are you like most of us and already have a box or two of parts waiting for a bike?

Hope it isn't long before your bombing down the trails and all the anguish of this time is just a distant memory.

Thanks Jack. You are exactly correct...a big box! Going the Bumot route with frame, Extramada soft panniers and top case with mount. $1500 all in, but top notch stuff that should be a nice compliment to a black bike. The panniers are due to me mid-July, but the frame and top case are here now.

Planning on a Vista-cruise throttle control (hope it fits) and getting Yamaha heated grips installed once it arrives. I'm a long-time BMW R1200 GS (2005 and 2015) guy with several hundred thousand miles on beemers, but it's finally time for something a bit lighter and nimble. I've sold them and now am looking forward to breaking in a fresh pony! I love Utah and get down to Hanksville/Capitol Reef/Escalante Grand Staircase several times every summer. If you live in the south part of the state, you're a lucky man!

@Kevin

I am the first to say I am blessed. My typical response to the question, "How are you" is "Better than I deserve."

I live in the Dixie National forest of Southern Utah at an elevation of 6800' in a town with a population of 182 people, no businesses, no highway if you come to my town you leave the same way you came. I get to play in cool weather all summer, and when winter arrives a 35 mile trip down the mountain brings me to the mild winter of the lower elevations of Southern Utah. Yes extensive planning went into the choice of my location for retirement, and I am loving it, and truly thankful for it.  

20 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Kevin

I am the first to say I am blessed. My typical response to the question, "How are you" is "Better than I deserve."

I live in the Dixie National forest of Southern Utah at an elevation of 6800' in a town with a population of 182 people, no businesses, no highway if you come to my town you leave the same way you came. I get to play in cool weather all summer, and when winter arrives a 35 mile trip down the mountain brings me to the mild winter of the lower elevations of Southern Utah. Yes extensive planning went into the choice of my location for retirement, and I am loving it, and truly thankful for it.  

You're not that far away from the Veyo Pie Shop! You ARE a fortunate man Jack!

• Like 1

@Kevin

Actually 19 mi. from my door to the pie shop.

If you are ever around try Slice of Veyo across the street from the pie shop, fantastic Beef Brisket sandwich.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

Thank you everyone for your feedback, support and great ideas! Happy to say that after a chat with the dealer an hour ago, I now have a claim number. If this is helpful for anyone, it's 744262, with the order placed May 22. By giving that out, and if any of you have a bike ordered, maybe we can create some kind of tracking system for expected delivery, as it's still not showing up for an estimated ship/delivery date in Yamaha's system. The dealer was going to call the rep to see if there was any more information...

I thought Christmas gifts were a challenge, but it's nothing like ordering a new bike for sure!

Claim#736454. Issued May 22   Intensity White.  Scheduled for 2nd half of June I’m in Tennessee.