Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone having antifreeze overflow issues?

Mr.motarded

Question

The last couple times ive cleaned my bike ive noticed blue dryed up coolant on my skid plate and motor coming from my over flow tank hose. Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.  Haven't noticed any signs of over heating.  Im thinking its due to wheelies causing coolant to flow through the trap in the dip tube. My coolant level is still at the full line the dealer did have it overfilled wich will also cause some of the issue. I guess ill have to watch it now that its right at the line. And maybe not do so many wheelies.  Lol yeah right. 

received_1130950290615001.jpeg

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Check out the overflow tank cap, they pop open easily from just cleaning. They look okay from a distance, get up close. 

Have notice coolant underneat the water pump housing...drippin in the skidplate...Damn!! I will have to replace the water pump oring I guess...on warranty....only 1125 kilometres... anyone have experience the same problem?

Edited by t7savard

I've seen coolant just a tiny bit caked around the edges on the rad hose to the reservoir. Levels are exactly the same and I've never noticed anymore build up though. Definitely agree with Cruizin these bikes run so god damn hot. Makes me wonder if they'll explode..

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, t7savard said:

Have notice coolant underneat the water pump housing...drippin in the skidplate...Damn!! I will have to replace the water pump oring I guess...on warranty....only 1125 kilometres... anyone have experience the same problem?

Sorry to hear. I read a few T7 forums and haven't heard of this yet. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Living in Central Arizona, it's still hot here, mine runs hot at low speeds on trail rides and fan does come on and puke out the overflow. Do your self a favor, remove right side fairing to expose the radiator cap and remove the locking screw so you can access the radiator fill and keep an eye on that level. The cap will Com off without removing the fairing after you remove this screw.

• Like 1

I have noticed the end of the overflow tube wet with coolant, but only after out riding wheelies and being generally irresponsible.

• Haha 2

I had the same issue in that the overflow cap came loose and secured it with a reusable zip tie but had a bigger issue after a serious get-off on the AZBDR Section 4 rock garden, where apparently a rock was placed just right to hit my coolant overflow tank, breaking the small mount tab at the bottom leaking all the overflow coolant out on the trail.  Apparently none of us were quite prepared with any appropriate two part epoxy, so we heated up a tire spoon and attempted a plastic weld repair.  It worked for the most part but was still dripping, so we added some rubber cement and wrapped it with electrical tape.  After adding water it held for the remainder of the ride.

After that section, I managed to hit a hardware store for a two part epoxy and made a more permanent repair however, after the ride I decided to make a more robust repair by inserting a straw in the reservoir to feed more two part epoxy into the bottom of the reservoir above the mount tab.  The idea is even if the mount tab were to break off, it wouldn't lose the coolant.

The old expression that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure holds true.  I would highly recommend others do this last fix to preclude losing coolant on the trail even if the mount tab breaks.

20231021_154229[1].jpg

• Like 1