Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Please answer my Dumb question - Coolant

Cruizin

Question

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Take the cap off and shine a torch in. Makes the level easier to see.

Shine a torch from underneath and you see it no problem. Like this. Pic without torch looks empty. I'm sure sunlight would do the same as the torch.

Rich

IMG_20200628_093728.jpg

IMG_20200628_093721.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cold engine. 
no light it’s hard to see but level is almost at F. 
B77AFF07-793A-4822-A201-149F51AAB6C9.thumb.jpeg.f8ae63c4d24c2bae05bafb26a187d513.jpeg

shine light from front. 

7609ABD1-7E6F-4871-91B8-525B67B49508.thumb.jpeg.b5d578f5cb59fe9c2aa61cebe4b0908c.jpeg

ooooooh pretty!

J

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, loneranger700 said:

Gonna be honest, my coolant looks empty too. I was concerned when I first got it but I had faith that it was full (like, that's the one thing ALL dealerships do, is fill the coolant).

Still can't see it though.

You won't see it unless you use a flashlight.

J

• Like 1

I personally would never check the coolant level warm as the system is under pressure and won't be accurate. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I personally would never check the coolant level warm as the system is under pressure and won't be accurate. 

Aleks 

Attached from mt07 

Screenshot_20200628-080930.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Aleks 

Ok, so do you see coolant on your cold bike? I don't see anything. I'm not talking about opening cap, I'm talking about the indicator on the side of the engine. 

Could someone please go look at their cold T7, and tell me if your bike shows coolant while cold, or if it looks like mine above in the pic?   Im supposed to go ride with friends early in the AM, will check this thread when I wake up. 

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Could someone please go look at their cold T7, and tell me if your bike shows coolant while cold, or if it looks like mine above in the pic?   Im supposed to go ride with friends early in the AM, will check this thread when I wake up. 

Thanks! 

Just been out and on the side stand mine shows half way between low and full 

Picture attached might not show it but its there. 

IMG_20200628_082707.jpg

1 minute ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Just been out and on the side stand mine shows half way between low and full 

Picture attached might not show it but its there. 

IMG_20200628_082707.jpg

Thanks! Yiur pic looks just like mine , empty .  I gotta check mine in daylight in the AM.

1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

Thanks! Yiur pic looks just like mine , empty .  I gotta check mine in daylight in the AM.

Yes it does, not very visible but you you move the bike a bit and it will be visible. 

Aleks 

Take the cap off and shine a torch in. Makes the level easier to see.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Your expansion bottle or reservoir should always have coolant in it, before you ride remove the rad cap & confirm its full. 

If it is you can ride to a shop & buy a bottle of coolant to top up your expansion bottle/reservoir.

Always slightly underfill from the max line as overfilling will leave no room for expansion. 

@Cruizin did you ever solve this one? Did yours have coolant in afterall?

I've checked mine and the bike is showing nothing, just like yours. I'm concerned that the bike has a leak somewhere, but it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one that has had this issue.

9to5adv.com

Gonna be honest, my coolant looks empty too. I was concerned when I first got it but I had faith that it was full (like, that's the one thing ALL dealerships do, is fill the coolant).

Still can't see it though.

It's very difficult to see, I rock my bike a little, which helps a little. But when cold the level is right between the lines for me.

The light from underneath trick.!!!! I couldn't see my fluid level either. But it's full, using back lighting. 

Edited by ahamay

34 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

If the bike is low on coolant, wouldn't the engine light or some sort of light come on the dash?

I haven’t seen a low coolant warning on a automobile much less a motorcycle. I think you’d only get high coolant temps or an over temp warning. 

J