Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dirty Weekend

Mungo

Looks like you had fun.

I just discovered the first thing I don't like about T7, washing it. Just gave her the first bath, what a pain there are more nooks and crannies. 

As I was finishing up my wife came out to drive where the deed was being done, I informed her I think the Tenere likes to be dirty.

Of coarse, this was in preparation for the future. My wife hopefully before too long will be getting her T7, this will not be the first time in 38 years of marriage that we have both had our own bikes to ride, actually that's been the case more often than not. It is always the same, I end up getting stuck washing them both.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Mungo,

looks like you found some mud! I don't suppose you have a gpx file to share? Always looking for new routes up that way. I am taking a bunch to Wauchope in July. Nundle Friday night then head across to Enfield Forest, probably across to Gingers then down Knodingbul to Padmans. Through Comboyne to Wauchope.

Return via Tom's Creek, Krambach and Bulahdelah.

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Hi Guys 

The T7 is a pig to wash. Especially with thick mud  on it (yes I came off in the middle of a huge mud section). I took me about 2 hours last night to wash her.

I use a high pressure cleaner (on a relatively low pressure selection) as the T7, has as UtahJack highlighted, more nooks and crannies. The pressure cleaner allows me to get into all these hard to access areas.

Again for the Aussie T7 Owners the Unifilter pre filter is a must - I could  not believe how much dust it caught - and it left the air filter very clean.

I haven't got the GPS files as it was my mate with the DR 650 who planned (and lead) the ride - he had just purchased Garmin's new GPS ( I can't recall the model) but at $800 AUD we joked that when fitted it doubled the value of the DR!

Tom's creek road was fantastic yesterday morning  - the best views! -  just watch out for Cows and Roos - plenty of both ( and both as dumb as each other when it comes to jumping out in front of you).  Just before Wauchope is Long Flat - the Long Flat pub has cold beer and a warm fire - too many beers on Saturday night!

Our next Dirty Weekend will be up around Nundle (staying at the Nundle pub).

• Like 1

Try this, I've been using it for years,mix 1:1 spray on all bike leave for 10 to15 min, Gerni off, best stuff ever!

Ace panel beating supplies sell it, they are at  Cameron Park I think

IMG_20200629_105945386_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200629_162338350.jpg

• Like 2

@Mungo

OK, after the pain of washing with a hose and bucket, I am thinking pressure washer maybe the way to go. You said you use a pressure washer (at relative low pressure setting) what psi is that low pressure setting?

I have always heard pressure washing can be really hard on seals and the like, so what is considered a safe pressure and still sufficient to get the bike clean?

Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

I do like Stevoh previous post on pretreating with Multi Clean Plus Degreaser.

Hi Stevo and UtahJack,

I'm off to buy the pre-cleaner this morning - Stevo thanks for the advice and ACE at Cameron Park do stock it.

UtahJack - I don't know the pressures but with my pressure washer on the low setting, the pressure is not much greater than that of a normal hose pressure, however it is more 'concentrated' and I can get it in a lot of the nooks and crannies with effect. I don't use it on the chain and other known areas that pressure shouldn't be used - but for mud and dirt on the T7 it's the go.

I'll give the pre-cleaner a go next time - anything to make the clean up easy - as the T7 is such a great bike off-road - that's where the majority of my riding will be and getting the bike dirty is half the fun!

Paul

• Like 1

It's on special$49 make sure you get the bonus spray bottle

• Moderators

I've had great success with Simple Green Degreaser/cleaner, for bike clean up and is easily found in the states. For the chain I use Maxima Chain cleaner with a Tirox spiral brush. I pre soak grimy parts with both, then first wash the plastics with soapy water to keep grit out of the wash water, then finish up by using the Tirox brush on the chain.  It sure beats a regular chain brush for ease of use and IMHO does a better job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-1-Gal-Concentrated-All-Purpose-Cleaner-2730103613005/100060853

https://www.chapmoto.com/maxima-clean-up-chain-cleaner-353-0516?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoub3BRC6ARIsABGhnybnkX3wg2A872tprvOl-VieC09PbK4xpgxQWjhIZJFz-kctaBzkCB8aAtFpEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Tirox-degree-Brush-Chain-80354/dp/B00AC85QRC

51YWM282JGL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Hi Stevoh

I picked up a 20L container of the Juice Multiclean and Degreaser this morning.  You are correct it is currently on special - $45.15 including tap and bonus spray bottle. Cheap as!

Thanks again for the tip.

Paul

• Like 1

Nice T700 with all that dirt and dust on, I also have a DR650 like the one in your first photo, it was originally an Australian bike.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, UtahJack said:

@Mungo

OK, after the pain of washing with a hose and bucket, I am thinking pressure washer maybe the way to go. You said you use a pressure washer (at relative low pressure setting) what psi is that low pressure setting?

I have always heard pressure washing can be really hard on seals and the like, so what is considered a safe pressure and still sufficient to get the bike clean?

Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

I do like Stevoh previous post on pretreating with Multi Clean Plus Degreaser.

If you don’t have a pressure control on your pressure washer you can get the same effect if you just stand back a bit and don’t get in close with the pressure have the nozzle set on jet as this gives you more control of the spray it should only take a little longer but you are not hitting the sensitive areas with too much pressure. Cheers

Hey Paul

When using the pretreatment and pressure washer I don't use a sponge or cloth at all on my bike, I've just got an ALDI pressure washer and as Allen said just control the pressure with distance.

I have the luxury of compressed air and just blow excess water then go for a short ride, and presto sparkling clean.

Have noticed though that behind the screen and headlight area some.marks remain.

Heavy soiling like your last effort mix 1:1, average filth probably 2 or 3:1.

With my enduro bikes I'd coat with WD40 after wash but haven't done so on the 700 yet, it does tend to collect some grottyness from road riding.

• Like 2

You absolutely need a high pressure cleaner to reach all spots.  Especially when you have to do some maintenance and open delicate parts.   😉   As Stevoh mentioned control the pressure with the distance and use a wide angle nozzle.

IMG-20190929-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20190929-WA0020.jpg

Edited by Dipstick

• 4 weeks later...

Cant beat the old CT18 truck wash to melt the mud off it. Spray on hose off!

• Like 2