Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Stock Exhaust Tuning Results

2 Wheel DynoWorks

• Supporting Vendor

We've been meaning to post this for awhile now, but we have been slammed busy at our shop with the riding season in full swing!

I've attached the dyno graph from our bone stock Tenere 700 test bike.

1343546956_Tenere700StockTuned.thumb.jpg.c02668fb03f54c14df9d36a4d7bdcc87.jpg

Stock peak output is 64.6hp/44.7tq at the wheel, which isn't bad! The problem is that you can clearly see how "wavy" or inconsistent both the torque and power curves are through the entire RPM range on untuned stock pass (Run 3). This is a direct result of what can really only be described as very poor fuel and ignition mapping! The bike also felt "twitchy" down low in the RPM range, where smooth power application would be critical in a technical riding situation in a low gear. As we knew they would, the stock mapping is always equipped with an aggressive deceleration fuel cut, which makes the on/off throttle transition very "snatchy".

Our ECU flash has dramatically reduced the severity of all of those issues, even with the stock exhaust AND spark arrestor still in place! Take a look at our final tuned pass (Run 16), and you'll see just how much smoother both the torque and horsepower curves are throughout the entire RPM range. This was accomplished by completely overhauling both the fuel and ignition mapping for the stock exhaust. Peak output only came up to 66.5hp/46.99tq at the wheel, but the bike responds so much smoother to both increasing throttle AND deceleration. We have also disabled the annoying deceleration fuel cut, just like we always have on these engines. We did NOT spend a whole lot of time worrying about peak numbers, because that is NOT what these bikes are designed for. All of our time was spent smoothing out part throttle acceleration and deceleration (to maximize control) AND improving throttle response to make sure you have more than enough power to pull the front end up when you need to lift the wheel up over an obstacle (such as a boulder or downed tree in the middle of a trail).

We've also lowered the cooling fan parameters, just like we did on the FZ/MT-07's, to engage at 200 degrees Fahrenheit and disengage at 185 degrees Fahrenheit. The stock parameters of 215/205 simply make the bike uncomfortable, and they were only ever set that high from the factory for emissions purposes. 

The ONLY physical modification that we needed to make was the removal of the stock snorkel from the airbox. Just like we've always found on these engines, the snorkel causes massive issues when it comes to air intake volume, so it MUST go! Shockingly enough, the spark arrestor isn't actually that much of a restriction on this bike! We yanked it for testing, and the performance improvement was 0.5hp at the wheel. Almost all of the exhaust restriction is in the muffler design itself (it is heavily chambered), so whether you leave the spark arrestor in or out really doesn't matter!

Try it out for yourselves at https://2wheeldynoworks.com/shop/ecu-flashing-service/tenere-700-mail-in-ecu-flashing-service/ and be sure to use the coupon code "covid19" during checkout to take advantage of our $250 sale pricing! The sale will be going on until the world starts to go back to "normal"...and that may be awhile.

For those of you that want to see aftermarket exhaust graphs, don't worry! They're coming soon, along with thorough write-ups.

• Like 9

2wheellogo.jpg

I'm looking forward to sending you mine once my moto comes in.  I'm interested to see the numbers for an HP Corse exhaust and MWR air filter with filter cover.  @2 Wheel DynoWorks

Edited by SantacruzT100

• Moderators

Looks like a win on improving power and rideability. Any ramifications regarding the Yamaha factory warranty?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, CAJW said:

Looks like a win on improving power and rideability. Any ramifications regarding the Yamaha factory warranty?

Dealers in Seattle send ECU's to @2 Wheel DynoWorksDynoWorks . A dealer would have to prove that the ECU flash  burned up an engine. Nels has been flashing this engine for years on the MT07 forum and I have never heard of any warranty issues. 

They will be flashing mine soon. My bike gets too hot. Though I might have them leave the engine braking alone because I like that off-road on steep descents.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Good to know. This won't be my first Yamaha and I've never needed to use the warranty due to their great reliability, figuring the T700 will be no different.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

15 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Dealers in Seattle send ECU's to @2 Wheel DynoWorksDynoWorks . A dealer would have to prove that the ECU flash  burned up an engine. Nels has been flashing this engine for years on the MT07 forum and I have never heard of any warranty issues. 

They will be flashing mine soon. My bike gets too hot. Though I might have them leave the engine braking alone because I like that off-road on steep descents.

So much for your Unifilter prefilter?!

13 minutes ago, Toei said:

So much for your Unifilter prefilter?!

No, I will stick with the prefilter on really dusty days.   Days where I will be around a lot of trucks and side by sides and ATV's on dry dusty dirt roads. Those situations are hell on air filters.   Most other times, I will remove snorkel and use a custom cut filter cover. 

It will be interesting to hear about the affect of using the snorkel and prefilter after you do the ECU flash.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

@2 Wheel DynoWorks It says on the product description "ECU Based Quickshifter Enabled". Can you expand on what exactly this means? Will I be able to "quickshift" without any additional hardware? 

Also, a friend of mine has gotten a tune for you, and he said he had the upgrade option of an "auto-blip" feature, will this be available for the Tenere at some point? (I'm aware this is different than the Quickshift feature)

Thanks in advance!

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Spanskii said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks It says on the product description "ECU Based Quickshifter Enabled". Can you expand on what exactly this means? Will I be able to "quickshift" without any additional hardware? 

Also, a friend of mine has gotten a tune for you, and he said he had the upgrade option of an "auto-blip" feature, will this be available for the Tenere at some point? (I'm aware this is different than the Quickshift feature)

Thanks in advance!

The ECU Based Quickshifter is enabled in the FTECU software with our custom mapping. We're still waiting on FTECU to finalize the prototypes for the quickshifter harness on their end. It will pin into the stock ECU connector once they've done their part.

Autoblippers are only possible on electronic throttle-by-wire controlled systems, which the Tenere 700 is not.

-2WDW

• Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg