Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I have decided against crash bars.

Cruizin

I don't like the idea of crash bars either, just adds weight and most likely shifts any damage to other points. Having said that I am thinking they could be used as mounting points for a couple of 5L fuel bladders. I don't like pannier racks for the same reason and use a Giant loop Great basin instead.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I can deal with the 6.1lbs the Adventure Spec set will add, knowing that when I am off by myself at some point dragging and repositioning my bike after an awkward off they will only help. I learned the hard way a few dirtbikes ago to be proactive and protect your investment as opposed to being reactive based on damage incurred. If you ride in areas where bailing isn't commonplace, I could easily agree with avoiding the extra weight. Gouging up my plastics as a best case scenario does not seem like a better alternative.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, rumrum said:

I don't like the idea of crash bars either, just adds weight and most likely shifts any damage to other points. Having said that I am thinking they could be used as mounting points for a couple of 5L fuel bladders. I don't like pannier racks for the same reason and use a Giant loop Great basin instead.

How do you anchor the rear end of your giant loop great basin? 

8 hours ago, jojitsu56 said:

How do you anchor the rear end of your giant loop great basin? 

I have a B&B small rack on order which i will anchor to there. 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, Cruizin said:

Acerbis will have their T7 plastics out within a year.  I usually replace my dirtbike's plastics for Acerbis every couple seasons just to keep the fresh look. Their kits are cheap and, plastic.  Nobody buys factory plastics for dirtbikes.  T7 will be the same. 

I was thinking the same thing, "When with Acerbis come out with the "Rally" blue plastics?" I too come from the dirtbike world and replace plastics every couple seasons. 

14 hours ago, rumrum said:

I have a B&B small rack on order which i will anchor to there. 

They look very good. Are you in Australia or are you getting it shipped? I think I prefer it to the adventure spec rear rack as it doesn't have the side rails, but might not be compatible with my T7 rally tail tidy. 

56 minutes ago, jojitsu56 said:

They look very good. Are you in Australia or are you getting it shipped? I think I prefer it to the adventure spec rear rack as it doesn't have the side rails, but might not be compatible with my T7 rally tail tidy. 

Yeah i'm in Australia. I have also ordered the B&B tail tidy and bash plate. Just thinking about it may be able to just lash the GB on with a couple of tie downs on the stock knob things until my rack arrives. Ill have a go tomorrow

How are you certain Acerbis will release Enduro plastics for the Tenere 700? Do you have any kind of internal info? Do you know when are they going to release such plastics? And at which price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumrum said:

Yeah i'm in Australia. I have also ordered the B&B tail tidy and bash plate. Just thinking about it may be able to just lash the GB on with a couple of tie downs on the stock knob things until my rack arrives. Ill have a go tomorrow

I thought the same, just use the front straps and another one as you suggest, it's just a shame you can't remove the existing straps to get them out of the way. 

13 minutes ago, al700 said:

How are you certain Acerbis will release Enduro plastics for the Tenere 700? Do you have any kind of internal info? Do you know when are they going to release such plastics? And at which price?

I don't know when, certainly don't know price, also don't know the names of the people in the factory who will be building them, nor their neighbors names. 

Ok, sorry for that..

But yes, they will build them. 

You seem too certain for a guy that in the bottom end does not seem to know too much...especially the neighbours' names...

On 7/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, al700 said:

You seem too certain for a guy that in the bottom end does not seem to know too much...especially the neighbours' names...

I speak with certain people in this line of business. I get tidbits if info here and there. Companies sometimes send me free parts to try out.

When I post such things, just read between the lines. If I had authority to share more details, I would have.

But yes, Acerbis and other companies will be making plastics for the T7. 

Crash bars give you only good protection while on tarmac or even terrain. If the trail is rough there is no guarantee that the crash bar will stop an unlucky drop.

If you think you don't need them you should wait for the first few drops and then decide if having them helps you and your risk taking behaviour. I would suspect that someone with crash bars would go to places that other will not even attempt a bit similar to those with suspension upgrades. To each his own way of riding.

For me, I will take the extra weight and mark that off as insurance. Plus it gives me extra handles to pick up the bike, add fog lights and attach luggage. The Outback Motortek are just what I needed so that's what I have. 

Have fun with your crash bar free bike... it will look better that's for sure.

• Like 3