Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gearing for highway?

Mck_nj

Question

Hey all! First post on here, I'm an American waiting for delivery here in the states which is super delayed because covid. I'm Trading my harley for this bike. I am already a huge yamaha guy. My first bike was a yamaha pw80 way back and now i have a wr250r and 82 xs650 chopper and also just sold a 2001 roadstar 1600. Anyway, like i said Im selling my highway bike for the tenere 700. What gearing is everyone using for touring on these bikes? A xsr i rode recently screamed at highway speeds so I figure something would need changed for long distance travel on a tenere since they are the same engine. Any other mods you would consider necessary for lots of highway miles through the mountains? 

Thanks!

Edited by Mck_nj

6 answers to this question

Hi buddy 

welcome, i can only say what ive done to mine as running in at 5000 rpm was giving me 57 and thats with the standard front sprocket.

Ive now gone up a tooth to JT MT07 16 toothed cog and now 5000 gives me 65 which is so much better, still low geared enough to trail ride and go higher again if need to.

its still pretty low geared now and mostly start off in second so many cogs to play with!

Edited by Matth

10 minutes ago, Matth said:

Hi buddy 

welcome, i can only say what ive done to mine as running in at 5000 rpm was giving me 57 and thats with the standard front sprocket.

Ive now gone up a tooth to JT MT07 16 toothed cog and now 5000 gives me 65 which is so much better, still low geared enough to trail ride and go higher again if need to.

its still pretty low geared now and mostly start off in second so many cogs to play with!

Awesome good to hear somebody has messed with it. I searched and couldn't find anything about it. Are these bikes comfortable at 5k rpm for hundreds of miles at a time? On a harley that is almost redline LOL. At 80mph my harley would run 4400rpm

48 minutes ago, Mck_nj said:

Awesome good to hear somebody has messed with it. I searched and couldn't find anything about it. Are these bikes comfortable at 5k rpm for hundreds of miles at a time? On a harley that is almost redline LOL. At 80mph my harley would run 4400rpm

The T7 has a 15T front sprocket which is geared a bit lower than the FZ07 (16T sprocket). 15T can be a bit buzzy on the highway long distance. Some more dirt oriented opt to keep the 15 or even a 14,  I'll be mounting a 16. Cheers

Edited by ADVUSA

I have a 16T sprocket and I also like fast gravel and forest road. You can drive with more torque and less shifting, you can focus more on driving on fast roads.

16T is too big if you drive slow offroad, 14T or 15T is better there.

I picked mine up on Thursday and with no changes it runs 65 mph at 5000 and less than 5500 will net me 70. Still breaking in the engine so I keep it 5000 and under. I wouldn’t hesitate to run 65 - 70 on road trips.