Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Well she is not as pretty anymore. First Crash

UtahJack

Of coarse now that I set down, I think she fared better than me.

0706201222.thumb.jpg.0f09a05ad7b98e5122f2f0d7426baa66.jpg

Took me forever to find a stick long enough and strong enough to bend the exhaust back out so the swing arm could move. So far the only damage I can find is the exhaust, marring to the tail piece and bent handlebars, the crash bars worked.

Another rocky descent, not totally sure what happened, hit something wrong, and than the throttle and powered into the crash.

I think when the wife gets home I better go to the hospital, wrist hurts so bad could hardly open the pain med bottle, and is swelling rapidly in spite of ice. Other than that fared pretty well, at least the bleeding has stopped, forearm and leg, sharp rocks. Might want to be more careful picking where I ride since I am   always alone. 

On a bright note, I get a new exhaust, and picking her up wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 14

Get well soon, get a new exhaust and hand healed and your back in the game. 

Aleks 😊 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Don't you just hate using adrenalin to lift a bike, thinking it wasn't so bad, only to find later, yeah, it was heavy!  Sorry for the injury, hope you heal up quickly and totally.   Bummer on the blood spilled and bent metal but, bikes can be fixed and when we play, sometimes dirt happens! Keep us posted as to how you are mending.

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Hope your ok....keep us updated. And the Tenere is a pretty tough bike luckily! Cheers,  Steve 

• Thanks 1

Hope you're feeling better soon. These things happen.

Great the crash bars did their job💪.

Rich

• Thanks 1

@CAJW

Thanks for the well wishes, I am an old hat at bending metal and bodies, use to road race when I was younger and bounced better. Little bummed, just because I know at 66 healing isn't as quick as it use to be. But if I can still work the clutch I won't be down long, just have to stick to fire roads for awhile.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 4

Rest up and get well.

I have a slightly smaller battle scar on my muffler as well! Fire roads for me are just fine.

• Thanks 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Oh my..  Get well soon.  Take care of yourself.🙂
A motorcycle is fixable.

• Thanks 1

I hope your wrist is ok.  Best wishes.  -EP

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

Of coarse now that I set down, I think she fared better than me.

0706201222.thumb.jpg.0f09a05ad7b98e5122f2f0d7426baa66.jpg

Took me forever to find a stick long enough and strong enough to bend the exhaust back out so the swing arm could move. So far the only damage I can find is the exhaust, marring to the tail piece and bent handlebars, the crash bars worked.

Another rocky descent, not totally sure what happened, hit something wrong, and than the throttle and powered into the crash.

I think when the wife gets home I better go to the hospital, wrist hurts so bad could hardly open the pain med bottle, and is swelling rapidly in spite of ice. Other than that fared pretty well, at least the bleeding has stopped, forearm and leg, sharp rocks. Might want to be more careful picking where I ride since I am   always alone. 

On a bright note, I get a new exhaust, and picking her up wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Sounds like the exhaust makes a pretty good right rear crashbar. Sorry to hear about this, happy you are still around to report it! 

Yes, get to the hospital for x-rays.  Let us know that you are ok later too, please! 

• Like 1

Sorry for your misfortune! As an older rider I too have found that I bounce like a "brick skimming water " and recovery is as quick as Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.  For me common sense dictates that I avoid single track and technical territory and stick with gravel and fire tracks. Just remember "growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional" Get well soon! 

• Thanks 1

Bummer!

I'm thinking the $60 fake Akrapovic is going to be my exhaust of choice, I see this happening a few times.

What was it you had to bend back? Just the stainless hanger or the black frame bracket?

Edited by albacore
  • Like 1

Well I was on the fence about crash bars, and there are at least a couple on here that have said they wont get them, but after seeing this Ive decided i will. My bike will be off road just as much as on, if not more dirt. And Ive never owned a bike that has weighed more than #330 pounds. Just seems to make sense, plus having extra places to grab the bike when picking it up no doubt would help . 

Hope you're well man and let us know what the Doc says. Sending good health to ya mate! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@albacore

Actually it was both, the end of the black brace ( the thin metal attached to the end), and the stainless hanger. I was able to bend it back enough to ride it but actually the stick I had to use was so large it added to the paint damage on the edge of the tail section. But all in all the bike is pretty rugged and came out of it with minimal damage.

Do you have a link for that $60 fake Akrapovic?

Edited by UtahJack

UPDATE: 

All good news, lacerations and contusions no broken bones, so back in the saddle in days not weeks.

I told my wife that I had just got past the real bad part and had just told myself, "I got this, should be easy from here." She reminded me of what Hans Solo said, "Don't get cocky kid."

Did find out from some locals that the area I was in is what they call their "Hard Enduro practice area."

Thanks for all you good wishes. It is appreciated.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 9

oh no dude, sorry to hear. Glad you are ok though! Get well soon!

• Thanks 1

Ouch ! Hope you are feeling Ok and heal up soon.

• Thanks 1

Good to hear you came out the other side fairing pretty well.  All the best in your recovery.  Cheers

• Thanks 1

well, glad you are okay and not much of broken stuff including yourself.

now you got that out of the way, everything will just be that much better 😛

New Update:

Well I am back riding again, wrist still in brace but getting better.

Final evaluation of damage to the Tenere:

Dented exhaust, bend mounting brackets, both on muffler and on bike.

Bent and creased skid plate.

Twisted front forks.

Bend handlebars.

Damages fork rock protector,

Damaged SW-MOTECH Kobra handgaurd.

Damaged Right hand mirror.

• Sad 3

• Moderators

Jack, Glad you're doing better. Was that an OEM skid plate that bent?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Glad to hear you are doing better. I'm interested in what you do for fixes/upgrades!