Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear crash bars / luggage rack

MGG

I have the Outback Motortek rear rack and I like it a lot. I would like to have better flexibility attaching soft bags to the side of the bike but I don't fee there is enough structure to properly tight items down so they would not move sideways.

I did see the Heed Rear crash bars that seem to be meant for picking up the bike and protecting plastic (a bit useless) ... but I think these might be great as luggage racks.

... and they do not look too bad when I have nothing strapped ... 

What do you think ?

YAMAHA_Tenere_700_REAR_0.jpg

Rear crash bars for Yamaha TENERE 700.

Technical data

Compatible with Yamaha Tenere 700
Crash bars type Rear
Colour black
Average package weight kg 3.2
Left and right side connection points 1
Anchorage points per side 2
Material used Steel pipe 22mm x 2mm
  • Like 2

I am in-between the heed rear and the adventure spec rear. I am leaning towards the heed ad they look more minimal...

I have the heed front bars and the bags that go on them are the most useful things that I have put on the bike since I got it. The bars are great too and do a good job protecting the front of the bike. 

The exhaust and back brake are still very exposed but what can you do

20200703_165829.jpg

20200703_165832.jpg

20200703_165837.jpg

• Like 2

I think by the price of Heed rear crash bars you can put plus 50 or 60 € and buy racks for soft luggage or hard cases... And the racks can protect the exhaust also... That's what i'm thinking abaut to do ok on the next mod...

• Haha 1

I have sw motech racks but I dont Think I would leave them on as protection. All of the racks that I have seen for these bike fit quite far away from the bike so there would be a lot of leverage in a crash. I think they would twist

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lupan said:

I think by the price of Heed rear crash bars you can put plus 50 or 60 € and buy racks for soft luggage or hard cases... And the racks can protect the exhaust also... 

There is no point protecting the exhaust since it needs to move up and under. (maybe during winter months)

The regular racks are way too wide and in a crash it would probably bend the frame or twist, just look at the existing exhaust bracket after a drop on the right side.

I am also thinking that having a tail rack and these lower crashbars would allow to attach temporary side plates to put bags or cases. Long distance travel and short distance do not require the same setup. Normally just a tankbag is sufficient and the side racks are not needed that is why SWmotech made them removable with QuickLock.

https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/YAMAHA/XT700Z/2019/DM07-DM08/products/luggage/side+carrier/PRO+side+carrier/4052572179109.htm

• Like 1

This is my idea, i think this ones could offer some protection, never tried

106702511_10223678697294055_7105318652493765982_n.jpg

106510188_10223678699214103_4177216234268274691_n.jpg

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

Edited by Lupan

The rear racks / guards are a great idea, but for me personally, I’d rather wait for a commercially available high exhaust kit to become available before I look into rear guards. Moving the exhaust up higher seems like a no-brainer and imo, the future for these bikes.

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, loneranger700 said:

The rear racks / guards are a great idea, but for me personally, I’d rather wait for a commercially available high exhaust kit to become available before I look into rear guards. Moving the exhaust up higher seems like a no-brainer and imo, the future for these bikes.

It's already available in Poland,if I'm not wrong  I've seen somebody here from  Canada who has ordered and fitted one.

https://huzarexhaust.eu/yamaha/485-tlumik-owalny-50-cm-ze-stali-nierdzewnej-polerowany-yamaha-tenere-700-mocowanie-gora.html