Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heidenau 18F cross inner tube, will it fit?

Aarslikkerdanny

Question

In connection with a Dirty Roads trip in the Alps in September, I am exploring some options to reduce the chance of punctures. Now, after a tip from another forum, I have bought a thicker cross inner tube for the rear, which I want to install myself prior to my trip 😅

Do you guys think this tube will fit and can I just install it without any problems? (another tire website stated that these inner tubes are not suitable for the highway?)

IMG_8175.JPG

5 answers to this question

So, looking at the size on the label, it should fit. As for fitting a heavier tube to the rear tire, are you looking for increased puncture resistance caused by rocks/roots/sticks? This may help, but heavier tubes generally generate more heat in the tire during road riding. Assuming the Alps in September won't be that hot, you should be fine with that issue.

I have just recently switched my T7 over to Tubeless tires (Mitas E07's F&R) using the Outex tubeless system. 

Maybe worth a look for the future. Have over 1000kms and 2 weeks on mine without leaks or issues.

resized_kit_240x.jpg?v=1555100828

Most common sizes ship within 1 business day.  If not in stock, lead time is 7 business days plus delivery. Are you a do-it-yourselfer interested in going tubeless? The Outex Tubeless Kit includes pre cut nipple tapes, seal tape, protection sheet, valve, gloves, instruction manual and...

Just had a friend of mine go down this past Monday after hitting something on a gravel road on his AT. Popped the front tube, went down at 80kms and after an ambulance ride, a broken back, punctured lung and various other 'minor' injuries he can look at pictures of his written off AT while dreaming of his replacement bike with Tubeless tires.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

4 hours ago, Aarslikkerdanny said:

In connection with a Dirty Roads trip in the Alps in September, I am exploring some options to reduce the chance of punctures. Now, after a tip from another forum, I have bought a thicker cross inner tube for the rear, which I want to install myself prior to my trip 😅

Do you guys think this tube will fit and can I just install it without any problems? (another tire website stated that these inner tubes are not suitable for the highway?)

IMG_8175.JPG

No problem at all. I use to install Michelin UHD rear and front tubes  manually many times. It is harder to fit because  they are 3 or 4 mm thick.   Not suitable for highways...nonsense. If you keep proper highway tire pressure  there shouldn't be any issues. 

• Like 1

I ran UHD tubes in my Yamaha WR250R front and back for 9,000 miles.  Most of that was highways and back roads.   They are harder to install and might cause some balancing issues but I didn't have any problems.  I installed them for peace of mind on long trips.

I don't think that UHD tubes generate more heat than the regular one. When I ride off road I use lower tire pressure, so the friction between the tube and the inner side of the tire is much bigger, it generates more heat. If I ride on road I usually keep the tire pressure as it is stated by the producer. If I would go on highway with low tire pressure for long period of time then for sure the temperature of the tire would increase much. Everything depends on tire pressure.  That's only my way of thinking, I might be wrong. Those who do nothing, don't make mistakes.🙂

• Like 1

Anecdotal evidence of riding through interior of British Columbia in 2017 at ambient of around +30C with a 2013 S10 (tubeless) and a 2009 990 Adventure (with HDtubes) loaded to within 25lbs of each other (S10 was heavier) including rider and luggage, both running Hideneau K60's front and rear at 36psi cold start, and pretty similar riding styles, the 990 tires were consistently 15 degrees and 5-6 psi higher than the S10 measured via on-board TPMS. Neither had any problems, just showing the difference in temp and pressure between tubed and tubeless. Obviously millions of KMs are safely put on tube tires yearly. I just like the safety of a relatively slow deflation as opposed to a right now leak of a punctured tube.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...