Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Electrical Problems

tenerecanada

• Moderators

Checked my bike over after a big 500km day with lots of fast ATV trails, washboard trails. Bike is stock for everything relevant, no anti-vibration mod done to dash. 2900km on bike, here’s what I found. 

Both rear turn signals dangling once again, with the right side plastic receiver popping out of the hole as well and unable to reconnect. Rear right bulb not working. 

Front turn signal and indicator, right hand side, flashes much faster than normal - as if the battery is low. The left hand side is functioning as it should. 

High/low beam front headlight not working at all. 

And now I start in on 8 days of shifts, and am forced to mull this over for the next week before digging in. Hopefully by solving the rear indicator issue it will solve my other problems, we will see. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

That would be my first choice as well to check out the rear signals as a bad or intermittent ground can do weird things to the rest of the lighting system.  Check out the manual link which has diagrams and troubleshooting trees to use.  Refer to pages 8-17 for the headlight and 8-21 for the turn signals.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/664-service-manual/

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

You may want to re-check that your rear turn signal connector was turned to the right position before connecting. It is possible to connect them in the wrong position and cause a fast flash with that side. 

I am not a fan of these connectors. I have them on my 2012 ST also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Help a brother out here. In working the above problem, (ref: wiring diagram, last page in manual) #18 = engine ground. I see the rear turn signals (# 80 = RR, #82= LR) share a common ground from #18, but can't locate the headlight (#84) ground. Is it grounded through the switch? The theory I'm chasing is that they all share a common ground.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Have you changed the bulb that is out? That would normally cause a fast flash rate.

• Like 1

I heard of the headlight failure elsewhere. Does this seem to be a common issue with this bike?  

I hope your able to get it figured out.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Update:

Finally had time to assess my situation properly. I took the tail plastic and seat off, checked my connections at all tail signal points and removed and replaced all the fuses and it works now. The bulbs were both fine. While I was in there I zip-tied the signal from the inside so it can’t dangle anymore, which should get me through until I can replace the whole thing.  889DDDBD-913A-4AAD-A0A1-0F6AEC18502D.thumb.jpeg.4d9f62b709043db40dce4d8fe8242455.jpeg

Front headlight assembly is still out - looks like I make a warranty claim and send my bike in during peak riding season. Mark one up one the board for a faulty LED headlight assembly from the Japanese factory. That Camel ADV neck brace is looking pretty sweet right now. Will update what the shop says when they get to it. 

• Like 1

No fun when you want to be riding.  Hopefully it'll get sorted quickly.  It can't be good for the headlight to wobble about like it does.    Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

There was a member here that had the same issue with the headlight.
Just out of curiosity, try the same percussive persuasion on it?   (ie hit it with your hand while its supposed to be on) 
see if it flickers on or not?  

It seems something inside, a relay, or wiring connector, something is not secured as well as it could be.

Hopefully its just a tad of bad luck, and not a issue with the model.

Keep us informed if you can!

Tazmool

Ive read a lot fo people talking about problems with this bike, which I find odd being it hasn't even been out that long and people with less than 600 miles on it from running hot or lots of wiring, lighting issues. 

Is making me a bit nervous or giving me pause as I haven't even gotten my bike yet. It is this reason that I've always waited and never buy a bike in its first year but was just excited about this one. Sort out the bugs first. 

Watching these threads closely. 

• Like 1

Just wondering if you have simply swapped out the fuse/s ? Last  inmate that had a problem with the indicators found to have a faulty fuse! The fuse check out fine for continuity with a meter, but when they are in  use give  an annoying intermittent problem. I always swap out fuses firstly, you can end up chasing your tail. But you can be the second reported sealed headlight failure. Good luck with the dealer. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tazmool said:

There was a member here that had the same issue with the headlight.
Just out of curiosity, try the same percussive persuasion on it?   (ie hit it with your hand while its supposed to be on) 
see if it flickers on or not?  

It seems something inside, a relay, or wiring connector, something is not secured as well as it could be.

Hopefully its just a tad of bad luck, and not a issue with the model.

Keep us informed if you can!

Tazmool

I had done a decent amount of riding in the past week, and every once in a while I smacked it a bunch to no avail. This was the second time the headlight failed. The first time I rode home at night in the dark, and when I woke up it functioned fine up until my last big ride. I dropped off the bike this evening at the dealer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

I dropped off the bike this evening at the dealer. 

Let us know what they find out, TC. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Brutal. I dropped my bike off 8 business days ago at the dealer after giving them a heads up a week earlier about the lighting issues. After multiple calls to see where things were at and being told "We are looking at it next, we are so busy", I called today and said "If you cannot look at it this week I am going to pick it up".

Thus begins the summer of no lighting, as I start the search for a more competent service department. Any recommendations between here and Toronto let me know. I am assuming warranty work is not as profitable as set up fees for pushing new bikes out the door. More customers>Customer retention clearly. 

/end rant

1 hour ago, tenerecanada said:

Brutal. I dropped my bike off 8 business days ago at the dealer after giving them a heads up a week earlier about the lighting issues. After multiple calls to see where things were at and being told "We are looking at it next, we are so busy", I called today and said "If you cannot look at it this week I am going to pick it up".

Thus begins the summer of no lighting, as I start the search for a more competent service department. Any recommendations between here and Toronto let me know. I am assuming warranty work is not as profitable as set up fees for pushing new bikes out the door. More customers>Customer retention clearly. 

/end rant

Try VOS Motors in Vaughan, the lead parts mechanic has a Tenere 700 himself, and they are a Yamaha 5 star dealer. Your headlight situation could happen to any of us, and wonder what happens if it occurs out of warranty. If I were in your boat, I'd give the dealer 2-4 business days to confirm the problem, ordering a headlight could take weeks, so at that point I'd get AUX lights put on and keep riding till winter when they can keep it for as long as they want. Hassle Yamaha or your dealer to get a discount or the AUX lights put on for safety

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Try VOS Motors in Vaughan, the lead parts mechanic has a Tenere 700 himself, and they are a Yamaha 5 star dealer. Your headlight situation could happen to any of us, and wonder what happens if it occurs out of warranty. If I were in your boat, I'd give the dealer 2-4 business days to confirm the problem, ordering a headlight could take weeks, so at that point I'd get AUX lights put on and keep riding till winter when they can keep it for as long as they want. Hassle Yamaha or your dealer to get a discount or the AUX lights put on for safety

Great input thanks man appreciate it. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, alpha3aax said:

@tenerecanada  any updates to your electrical issues or resolution?

There will be within a week or two now. I have taken it to a different shop after riding the whole summer with no lighting, just the Cyclops auxiliary lighting. Keep you posted. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Alright. Peg another failed headlight assembly up on the board. They are backordered, but so is the nice weather. Twas' a great riding season, looking forward to coming back stronger in the Spring.