Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New top priority upgrade. Must un cork my bike

Cruizin

Yamaha has to jump thru an incredible amount of hoops just to get their bikes thru the USA emissions requirements. The MT10 makes 14 less HP than the European MT10.  The USA Tracer 900 has a 115 MPH limiter. 

Talking to our expert CP2 engine tuning vendor, @2 Wheel DynoWorks , this engine is corked up. The MT07 is too.

The fueling is extremely lean, which is bad for power and it creates heat. The fan also kicks on a little too hot, at the limits of the "safe" range. Take your T7 high elevation on tight slow trails in the summer and be prepared to see some crazy hot engine temps. 

My new priority,  even over suspension is to find a good exhaust that also has a removable spark arrester. I will get it and a matched tune from @2 Wheel DynoWorks .  They offer crazy good tune/exhaust packages where the exhaust comes priced much lower than you can find anywhere else. Usually too low to share online, due to supplier agreements.  

Who is making the best exhaust for this T7 now? I am not interested in Akrapovic.  On the MT07 (same exact engine) Graves Exhausts usually make about the most power.  Looking forward to their T7 exhaust when it is ready. 

• Like 1

Wings. 

Ive had their pipe on a previous KTM and it cut the weight in half, had a great low throaty sound and the quality was outstanding. And my bike ran cooler with it. AND the pipe itself wasn't nearly as hot to the touch in comparison to the stock can. 

It's on my list of things to get when the bike gets here. 

I need to check out Dynoworks. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1

Definitely a direction I will be looking to go in the near future. I look forward to seeing what you decide to go with and how it works out. 

• Like 1

Shipped my ECU off Saturday.  I miss it already...

I’m running the uni-filter with pre-filter and full SC Project exhaust.  I doubt they have a tune for the oiled foam filter w/pre-filter but whatever tune they have for the SC Project exhaust will be good enough.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Idarex said:

I’m running the uni-filter with pre-filter and full SC Project exhaust.  I doubt they have a tune for the oiled foam filter w/pre-filter but whatever tune they have for the SC Project exhaust will be good enough.

Did you buy the exhaust from them? If not, ya paid too much

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Yamaha has to jump thru an incredible amount of hoops just to get their bikes thru the USA emissions requirements. The MT10 makes 14 less HP than the European MT10.  The USA Tracer 900 has a 115 MPH limiter. 

Talking to our expert CP2 engine tuning vendor, @2 Wheel DynoWorks , this engine is corked up. The MT07 is too.

The fueling is extremely lean, which is bad for power and it creates heat. The fan also kicks on a little too hot, at the limits of the "safe" range. Take your T7 high elevation on tight slow trails in the summer and be prepared to see some crazy hot engine temps. 

My new priority,  even over suspension is to find a good exhaust that also has a removable spark arrester. I will get it and a matched tune from @2 Wheel DynoWorks .  They offer crazy good tune/exhaust packages where the exhaust comes priced much lower than you can find anywhere else. Usually too low to share online, due to supplier agreements.  

Who is making the best exhaust for this T7 now? I am not interested in Akrapovic.  On the MT07 (same exact engine) Graves Exhausts usually make about the most power.  Looking forward to their T7 exhaust when it is ready. 

The Wings muffler that we tested flowed about half a horse better than stock, is significantly lighter than the stock unit with all the baffling. Most of the physical exhaust restriction on these bikes is in the header/catalytic converter assembly itself, and, as per usual, Akrapovic nailed their header design right out of the gate. If you want to stay away from Akra, the Dominator system looks to be nearly identical in terms of performance and is beyond reasonably priced (available for $300 on Amazon).

• Like 4

2wheellogo.jpg

9 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Did you buy the exhaust from them? If not, ya paid too much

No, but I only found one US importer for SC so that's who I went with.  2wheel didn't have any pipes listed yet for the T7.  I probably should have called them.  

On 7/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, Idarex said:

Is the ECU a simple unplug replug affair? I want to have the reflash done this winter. And, would Yamaha squawk about voiding the warranty if this reflash is found, or return it to factory ECU settings during a service/tune-up?

1 hour ago, ahamay said:

Is the ECU a simple unplug replug affair? I want to have the reflash done this winter. And, would Yamaha squawk about voiding the warranty if this reflash is found, or return it to factory ECU settings during a service/tune-up?

Yamaha dealers in Washington send their customers to @2 Wheel DynoWorksDynoWorks .  But if engine ever does grenade during warranty, just have it flashed back to stock before taking it to the dealer. 

Never heard of any issues on our MT07 forum, same engine. 

On 7/14/2020 at 5:03 AM, Cruizin said:

I would start with weight reduction to increase power to weight ratio before modification & a retune.

I myself am already looking at dropping steel components for titanium which will require bespoke engineered parts & plastic for carbon. 

I'll strip what i can get away with to dump more weight. 

Edited by T7lee

Another option is a complete Yoshimura. They told me that they have had a bike in their R&D and should have some products coming out in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, T7lee said:

I would start with weight reduction to increase power to weight ratio before modification & a retune.

I myself am already looking at dropping steel components for titanium which will require bespoke engineered parts & plastic for carbon. 

I'll strip what i can get away with to dump more weight. 

A full exhaust system is worth 10 lb weight reduction in conjunction with a tune is the best of both worlds. Uncorking the bike truly wakes it up, I couldn't be happier with the results. Full exhaust, li battery, passenger pegs removal = -17 lbs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That is the route I'm going myself, 
Full exhaust (Dominator header, Huzar high exit pipe)  
LiFe battery
Removed passenger pegs
2WDW Ecu Flash  (hopefully to be here soooooon)  
The flash should help with other little issues, on-off throttle choppiness (fuel cut-off) cooler engine runnign temps, and un-corking some of the stock corkiness!

All my other mods involve adding weight unfortunately.  I do have a starting 100% stock, full of fuel weight of 455lbs.   Lets see what I end up with.  Hopefully not heavier than stock (fingers crossed!) 

Tazmool

• Like 3