Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Suspension adjustability

denis700

Has anyone checked on any of the motor shows, if the 700 really has front and rear reb and comp adjustment?

There is much different info outside, even on official pages.

Some say partially adjustable, some say fully front, rebound + preload rear, preload adjustable while riding...

Maybe blue and white bikes have different trim levels, black one seem loaded, having central stand, aux lights, crash bars, cases, ?suspension?

Only one YT video filmed shock, having what looks like reb and comp adjustability, besides manual preload knob, which is adjustable on the standstill.

Forks, being open chamber, usually have rebound on top, so at least that's what it seems to be up front.

This guy is funny, saying suspension not adjustable, then tapping what seem to be rebound screw, saying you can make some small changes, .........but not really 😄

• 6 months later...

It does. Mine has rebound and compression adjustment front and rear.  Only preload on the rear though.  I'm 90kg with my gear on, so once I had set the correct sag (ride height) and moved to the damping, the range of adjustment is impressive and capable of wide range of adjustment from soft compliant to really sharp road handling.  Can't get used to the standard hard seat though.  Anyone tried the Rally option seat?

I agree with the suspension. Needs dialling in to suit your needs and then it's fantastic from very good as a base. I was bottoming out on rocks off road with some of the bigger "whoops" but not now.

I have the rally seat. Soooo much better than standard. I'd say the single best mod for me personally (along with the MTC exhaust).

• Premium Member

Compression and Rebound fully adjustable on front and at rear.

And yes it is good quality KYB suspension.

The suspension is the thing that has pleasantly surprised me the most; it makes the bike I think.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1

Would the suspension have enough adjustment to meet my needs, :

Weight 104 kg with gear, ride solo and carry light luggage if on longer tour. 

Never off road and would like to set it up for street riding  once I have the bike. 

Is the rear shock and spring good or do I need to consider a different spring/shock? 

Appreciate any advice 

Aleks 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Would the suspension have enough adjustment to meet my needs, :

Weight 104 kg with gear, ride solo and carry light luggage if on longer tour. 

Never off road and would like to set it up for street riding  once I have the bike. 

Is the rear shock and spring good or do I need to consider a different spring/shock? 

Appreciate any advice 

Aleks 

Yeah yes the suspension will be fine for you as I’m the same weight as you. You’ll not need to replace anything.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, X Plane said:

Yeah yes the suspension will be fine for you as I’m the same weight as you. You’ll not need to replace anything.

Great stuff, can you please share your current settings? 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Great stuff, can you please share your current settings? 

Standard as per handbook. When was running it in I set them all  minus one.

100kg and fast gravel setup.

Front

compress 13

rebound 15

Rear

compress  18

rebound  13

Spring load 20

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:33 AM, Rich TT said:
On 10/10/2019 at 5:33 AM, Rich TT said:

I have the rally seat. Soooo much better than standard. I'd say the single best mod for me personally (along with the MTC exhaust).

What makes the rally seat better? It is taller, yes? Taller would be fine. Do you note improvement in comfort for longer days in saddle? This is what I would be looking for. I need to decide between these two when ordering mine. 

7 minutes ago, ahamay said:

What makes the rally seat better? It is taller, yes? Taller would be fine. Do you note improvement in comfort for longer days in saddle? This is what I would be looking for. I need to decide between these two when ordering mine. 

Yes all those things. Taller, comfier, easier to get fully off (no bolts to get the front section off from the standard two-piece) and more storage for tools. I did 200 miles one day recently with no bother at all. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Looks much better too and much more the part, if you know what I mean. 

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, X Plane said:

Standard as per handbook. When was running it in I set them all  minus one.

Hey man question; Do you think for someone who rides weekends with a pillion on my Tenere (80kg + 50kg) and will occasionally do monthly tours with luggage + luggage racks ( 30kg) should get an uprated shock spring of 85nm? I'm pretty split between 85nm or 90, but can't decide which. Most week days it's just me plus luggage, but once a month my pillion and I will def go out in the back country to do camping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 1:21 AM, loneranger700 said:

Hey man question; Do you think for someone who rides weekends with a pillion on my Tenere (80kg + 50kg) and will occasionally do monthly tours with luggage + luggage racks ( 30kg) should get an uprated shock spring of 85nm? I'm pretty split between 85nm or 90, but can't decide which. Most week days it's just me plus luggage, but once a month my pillion and I will def go out in the back country to do camping.

80kg, is that you in your birthday suit or in full riding gear? I weigh 83kg naked and 94kg with all my kit on, I have a oem centre stand, AS rear rack, barkbusters and a tail pack with tools, a flask, bottle of water, a Mars Bar and sarnies, which probably adds another 8kg’s, so I’m now upto 101kg’s. I put a 90Nm RR spring on the rear, which feels great. Ive also ordered RR front fork spring preload spacers, but will probably upgrade to some 6.3 Nm linear fork springs too. 

If in doubt, send an email to rally raid with your personal details and I’m sure they will assist with advice, or get in touch with a suspension expert who will sort you out, I’d advise you do the latter if you don’t now anything about setting up suspension, as for a relatively small fee (about £48 in the UK) they will setup the sag and adjust the compression and rebound for you. Getting it setup correctly (You dont have to spend a lot of money) will vastly improve your riding experience and ultimately the fun you get out of riding this brilliant bike. 

• Like 2

Thanks man! I ended up ordering a 90 anyways. Wish I was in the UK but I gotta set the Sag on my own. Considering the spacer but I'll see how that goes later. Cheers!

• 6 months later...

I just thought I’d give my take on some recent suspension changes I've been toying with.  Last year with my bike bone stock i thought the suspension was soft and most importantly way too wollowy. Over the winter i installed a 85 rear spring that is supposed to be correct for my weight- 180 lbs (not geared up and no luggage on the bike) Ive decided (for now at least) to leave the front springs alone because i felt the majority of the issues were with the rear than the front. I  did add a 1/4” preload spacer to the forks to better match the rear spring increase. Since these changes I've been out with the bike a few times on varying terrain, with no luggage so charging at a pretty good pace.  Over the few rides i felt the bike in general was much better suspended spring wise, not as soft  but still wollowy.  Ive been increasing rebound dampening by a bit and a little on the compression dampening.

Maybe its just me and my preferences but i pretty much think every bike ive ever owned is under dampened regarding rebound. Anyway, after the last ride i now have my rear preload adjuster backed all the way soft (the bike seems to have plenty of travel and sag is about right without luggage, and now i have lots of room to add pre load with luggage when i need it), i have my rebound setting 3 clicks from full hard and had to back my compression off a little by a couple clicks because i thought it was getting just a little too sharp on-road due to so much rebound and the previous added compression. I don't know where my compression is right now in relation to max but when i get that where i like ill report back. I think I’m finally good with the rebound and no longer think its too wollowy (yes!) and am glad i didn't have to go full hard because that pretty much would mean it needs to be re-valved.  Its nice to have a bike that can be adjusted and actually feel the difference!  My only complaint left is front fork dive but that will just have to be because a full re-valve is likely the only way to address that.