Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Two problems - Ticking at startup, and getting stuck between gears on downshift

mpb1

Hit 1000 miles and changed oil to full synthetic yamalube.  Made sure as many miles as possible were 1st through 5th from 5k to 7k rpm to work the trans together.

Its like a different bike.  Much more like my yz with 100 trail hours.

Yep totally agree, downchanges have to be pretty quick and firm until it runs in over 1000 miles. Its a very strong gearbox so plenty of changes will help .

changed to fully synthetic after!run in and sweet as!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I get this on my bike at 400 miles now. Very strange indeed. It's perhaps a quarter of a second when upshifting from 2nd into 3rd or 3rd into 4th. But it's always around 3rd gear it seems. My oil is a tad high, so maybe that's it, but I'm not freaking out at the oil being higher than the mid-fill line. SpoOOooky!

I am teetering on the purchase of a T700. It ticks just about all the boxes for me. I have a 2019 Suzuki SV650 road bike with upgraded suspension that is perfect for me on road . I want the T700 for touring including off road (not heavy duty) as I feel it has the right power level for me and ergonomically it fits me. However this thread gives me some concern - BUT what I don't understand is that this is not a new engine the MT07 is well proven and any issues as being discussed should have been well sorted by now. Appreciate any comments you guys may have.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Casper99 said:

I am teetering on the purchase of a T700. It ticks just about all the boxes for me. I have a 2019 Suzuki SV650 road bike with upgraded suspension that is perfect for me on road . I want the T700 for touring including off road (not heavy duty) as I feel it has the right power level for me and ergonomically it fits me. However this thread gives me some concern - BUT what I don't understand is that this is not a new engine the MT07 is well proven and any issues as being discussed should have been well sorted by now. Appreciate any comments you guys may have.

Don't get me wrong here please... The cp2 engine and gearbox have been tested for long enough and have won awards of being the most reliable engine and gearbox  on the planet... Have a look at how many issues this bike has... Almost zero.. 

Aleks 

• 4 months later...

I had a weird inconsistent shifting on the new tenere out of the dealer. After 500 km I realised the chain slack was way too loose. Once the chain was adjusted the bike shifted a lot better. Sound kinda easy fix but changed a lot on the driving feeling. I also have this shy metallic noise at idle, i'm beginning to read so much people writing about it that i don't bother anymore.

Enjoy your ride. 

...after just six years of CP2 at the consumers, following points became apparent:

- there is some noise, if the CP2 engine is running, even if there is a ticking, do not worry, ride and have fun,

- oil level above mid of oil glas, when cold, may cause problems in smooth shifting.

- louder noise from left, or vibrations at certain RPMs, check your drive chain, greasing and slack,

- if the shifting gets really uncomfortable, check the screws of the gearing leverage.

Others, not listed, are individual problems between rider and bike... 🙂

• Like 2

Sticky shifting was a well known issue on the Super Tenere and cleaning/greasing the shift lever bolt was a regular maintenance item.  It was easy to do on the S10.  The Tenere 700 has the same set up ....... only, the shift lever pivot bolt is installed on the inside of the left foot peg mounting plate.  This makes for a PITA to clean and lube regularly.  I plan on installing a grease zerk on the shift lever to make things easier.

I suspect my T7 will shift better then. 

Easy S10.   Hard T7

606AD66C-7B8E-4570-9EEC-25FDC2E9B5D0.jpeg

8087A47E-777E-407A-B3A5-E8DEBAEFB3A4.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I am having the same random issue with the gear getting stuck between 3rd and 4th...the gear display will be blank  It seems to only happen when down shifting at lower RPMs heading towards a stop.   When it gets stuck, it will not shift up or down and I have to rev the RPMs to  get the shifter to find 3rd.   It only happens every so often and almost never happens if I try to make it happen.   The dealer says they have never seen or heard of this issue...even on the MT-07. 

I've had the issue since I got the bike.  Decided I would put some miles on it, change the oil to full syn at 600 mile service.  I have about 1,300 miles now and it's still will happen at random.

Anyone know of a solution yet?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duggerc said:

I am having the same random issue with the gear getting stuck between 3rd and 4th...the gear display will be blank  It seems to only happen when down shifting at lower RPMs heading towards a stop.   When it gets stuck, it will not shift up or down and I have to rev the RPMs to  get the shifter to find 3rd.   It only happens every so often and almost never happens if I try to make it happen.   The dealer says they have never seen or heard of this issue...even on the MT-07. 

I've had the issue since I got the bike.  Decided I would put some miles on it, change the oil to full syn at 600 mile service.  I have about 1,300 miles now and it's still will happen at random.

Anyone know of a solution yet?

Put more miles on it. Seriously.

I've got about 6000 miles on mine, full syn Motul at first service then same again at second oil change.  I used to have the same shifting issue but it’s long gone now.

Edited by Burner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burner said:

Put more miles on it. Seriously.

I've got about 6000 miles on mine, full syn Motul at first service then same again at second oil change.  I used to have the same shifting issue but it’s long gone now.

good to know...thanks!

Yep just keep the gear changes sweet with no stress from rider and bike  and the more miles u do it just gets better

• 4 months later...

About 7oo miles on mine, changed the oil at 625 with Mobil 1 T4  engine runs smooth. I noticed it can be hard to down shift when not moving. Under way it shifts no problem. I'd say take it to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, JayD said:

Good to see that there’s others mentioning the ticking noise.

Where does it come from.....injectors?

• 2 months later...

Can't help you with the gears .... But .... 🙂  The noise comes from your injectors. They tic, its audible. Valves do not tic. Too tight valves are the problem not loose ones. Too tight will burn the seats because they don't close properly. If you put a noisy exhaust on no more hearing the injector click ...... lol........... Also Cam chain tensioners have pressure limiting valves so as not to have too much pressure on the guide. Cold oil does not apply the necessary pressure on your cam chain tensioner so it's possible to get noise from here until the oil heats up to normal operating temperature. You must wait till normal operating temperature to determine if you have a problem. This applies to all engines.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Same here, downshifting my T7 (with 300Km) from 3rd down (mostly from 2nd to 1st) hits way too many false neutrals — I hope it gets (a lot) better after a while.

Interesting...  I experienced this yesterday a couple times.

I spent a couple hours doing some slow speed drills in a parking lot and then in a dirt lot....lots of 1st and second gear, lots of clutch.  Between locations, I hit the road and some traffic lights...   On the occasions it happened, I was slowing down for a light and trying to downshift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd.  Clutch was all the way engaged.  At the same time that I couldn't downshift any more, I noticed the gear indicator was blank...  While at a stop, I slowly let the clutch out, the gear indicator came back on and showed 4th or 3rd.  I could then downshift into 1st.  I've got 210 miles on mine and haven't yet talked to dealer...  

• Like 1

I did notice something like this on my test drive

on my G650 I could stop in 3rd and down Shet to N or 1St at a standstill - I can’t do this on the Tenere - not sure why 

4 hours ago, Dave Mat said:

Same here, downshifting my T7 (with 300Km) from 3rd down (mostly from 2nd to 1st) hits way too many false neutrals — I hope it gets (a lot) better after a while.

Once you put a few km's or miles on it and change the oil to full synthetic, you'll notice a world of difference.  Smoother shifts up and down.  The bike is like a good pair of shoes.  The more you use it the better it fits and feels.  Keep riding.

• Like 2

I noticed you need to really commit to the shift.
Also had some false neutrals but also sometimes that he shifts back down again.
I often shift without the clutch which goes very easy on this bike, you really don't need a quickshifter only have the right revs... not too low.
Every bike has it's quirks and this one needs a decisive shift regime and an extra coat of paint on the bottom of the tank.
Okay, i did a bit more but those are improvements and not a necessity.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lewie said:

I did notice something like this on my test drive

on my G650 I could stop in 3rd and down Shet to N or 1St at a standstill - I can’t do this on the Tenere - not sure why 

If I may say so, you should try to never stop the bike in a gear other than 2nd-to-neutral (or 1st-to-neutral eventually). That being said, BMW’s gearbox is just better I’m afraid (but not as fun ; )

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

Once you put a few km's or miles on it and change the oil to full synthetic, you'll notice a world of difference.  Smoother shifts up and down.  The bike is like a good pair of shoes.  The more you use it the better it fits and feels.  Keep riding.

Thanks! That’s what I’m hoping for ; )

• Like 1

I owned a few fjrs that had this issue and my t7 can be hard to down shift at times. The fjrs problem was the clutch plates would stick together. Pull the clutch out, dip them in oil and they were fine. I wonder if the t7 engine has the same design issue.

• 1 month later...

Yep - tight down shift still at 1000 miles. Dealer confirms semi-synth used at first 600 mile service. Have to stop in 2nd or end up rocking bike to get shift down from higher gear, (Bad technique on my part). Not graceful at all! Stalled twice so far due to cocking up downshift on approach to junction. Conclusion: ride it more and change to fully synth at next oil change. And learn to ride better! Ho ho. Loving this CP2 engine. It's a little screamer. Real smooth at higher revs.

Edited by Dave D
  • Like 2