Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fork compression shimstack

denis700

Since everybody is keeping a secret to what the stack is or dont know or understand the function, I opened mine and plan to beef it up.

Rebound is said to be be generally oK, so no messing there. Will add 5mm preload to the spring.

So, the stacks are..in milimetres

OD x quantity

16 x 5

12 x 1 - transition

16 x 1

14 x 1

12 x 1

10 x 1

Thickness is somewhere 0.1 - 0.15 (crappy caliper)

After first five slow speed comp shims there is transition shim into hi speed stack.

Rear shock has no transition shim in both reb and comp, just single speed. In aftermarket kits, both stacks are made into dual stage.

Of course, there is a limit to what you can do with 20mm valve, see a comparison between KYB SSS valve with T7 miniature base valve.

IMG_20200721_202615.jpg

IMG_20200721_122620~2.jpg

IMG_20200721_195235~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, denis700 said:

Since everybody is keeping a secret to what the stack is or dont know or understand the function, I opened mine and plan to beef it up.

Rebound is said to be be generally oK, so no messing there. Will add 5mm preload to the spring.

So, the stacks are..in milimetres

OD x quantity

16 x 5

12 x 1 - transition

16 x 1

14 x 1

12 x 1

10 x 1

Thickness is somewhere 0.1 - 0.15 (crappy caliper)

After first five slow speed comp shims there is transition shim into hi speed stack.

Rear shock has no transition shim in both reb and comp, just single speed. In aftermarket kits, both stacks are made into dual stage.

Of course, there is a limit to what you can do with 20mm valve, see a comparison between KYB SSS valve with T7 miniature base valve.

IMG_20200721_202615.jpg

IMG_20200721_122620~2.jpg

IMG_20200721_195235~2.jpg

This is amazing information for all of us.. I am happy with the new front fork springs that have been fitted..thank you for sharing this with us. 

Aleks 

Holy Shet, the diameter difference of the valve is enlightening.

Guys, don't spend money on cheap 20mm cartridges!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I'm right at 82kg (180lbs) with gear and a hydration pack. I opted not to go with new springs yet, don't have a problem bottoming the shock. Bought a RACETECH gold valve cartridge kit and installed with the fallowing shim stack (starting from the piston face.) Low speed stack-3x 17mm x .15mm shims, stock was 5x 16 x .10mm shims. Crossover 1x 10mm x .10, high speed stack- 1x 16mm x.10, 1x 14mm x.10 , 1x 12mm x .10, and 1x 9mm x .15. So the stock crossover was 12mm x .1.  The last shim in the high speed stack was a 10mm x .15(I used a 9mm). I used fresh Motul 5wt fork oil, with a 100mm level. I think stock is 65mm, the manual calls for 10wt .  What does all this mean? I felt that the high speed was really harsh:  square edged bumps or high fork velocities. Low speed was OK but the whole fork felt harsh the deeper in the travel it went.  I ride in rocky jagged bumpy woops and lots of various sized rocks. My thoughts: too much fork oil stock :this keeps the bike from diving too far in lower part of stroke. Solution: reduce oil level to get harshness out of that bottom stroke range. Next: Stiffen up low speed stack so stroke doesn't blow by this upper zone too fast. Switch to the 3x .15 shims (note:1x .15mm shim = 3x .10mm shims). Lastly: soften high speed so it's not so jarring, done with the crossover shim (which was a 12mm) change to a 10mm, and final shim in stack changed from stock 10mm to a 9mm. The Low speed stack bends over 10mm crossover to transition to high speed easier. All shims bend more over 9mm shim(the vary last shim in the stack). The test ride and settings: Comp-7 out from full soft, rebound 10 out from full soft. This was a pretty good step up over stock for me, I don't get much air time so bottoming isn't an issue. More compliant over sharp bumps and ruts- but would go to 7 turns out from soft on rebound on trail, and for more compliance,  15 turns from full soft on the street so it doesn't pogo. Hope I explained this so that most could understand.

Edited by Svrider
Gramer
  • Like 1

@denis700, so what are your plans with the fork compression stack then?  That's so sad what we get for OEM base valve pistons. 

@Svrider, any chance you can layout your post more similar to Denis's? It's very hard to keep track of what your referring to all in one long paragraph. 

Edited by DT675

Stock stack from piston face: 5x 16mm x.10 shims (low speed stack) 1x 12mm x .10 shim (crossover) 1x 16mm x .10, 1x 14mm x.10, 1x 12mm x.15, 1x 10mm x .15(high speed stack) , 5wt fork oil with 65mm or 85 mm level.

My stack from piston face: 3x 17mm x .15 (low speed) 1x 10mm x .10 (crossover), 1x 16mm x.1, 1x 14mm x .1, 1x 12mm x .15, 1x 9mm x .15 (high speed stack)-5wt oil, at 100mm level.  Clickers: comp-7 out from full soft, rebound-7 out from full soft (dirt), 15 out from full soft-street.

• Like 1

Is the shim stack located in the top cap?  Cant seem to find the diagram I'm looking for in the service manual.

• 3 weeks later...

No, it is located in the bottom of the fork, it is the base valve wher your compression adjuster is. It also is the "BOLT" that holds the damping rod in the fork. In the parts breakdown, it's # 11 and 33, Valve assembly.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I would like to see the fork reboundstack because I plan to change it.

I think the compression is oke but the high speed rebound is to soft and low speed to stiff, both only a little.

With stiffer springs this will be a bigger problem.

Maybe someone has write it down.