Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KAOKO – Throttle Stabilizers

zarkos

Hi everyones,

Does Someone already Try to mount this kind of device ?

I really like the kaoko one , but i have the oem heated grip , and I'm afraid it will not fit on them 😕

Edited by zarkos

I guess not. I am going to try an Atlas throttle lock, as I want cruise control myself.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, zarkos said:

Hi everyones,

Does Someone already Try to mount this kind of device ?

I really like the kaoko one , but i have the oem heated grip , and I'm afraid it will not fit on them 😕

I've been eyeing one and I think it may work but am skeptical about the interface with aftermarket handguards because the ones made for the MT-07 had two versions one with and without handguards.  The handguards I think were the CRG flip out ones that clamp to a round extension of the bar end weight.  Plus Kaoko is $150.  That's a lot of clams just to try out if it doesn't fit.  I may do it through Revzilla when I can confirm with Kaoko some fastener sizing.

J

• Moderators

I tried this one out today, worked ok, not perfect, but for $15 it gave my throttle hand a little rest here and there.   I went to a ton of trouble years ago installing an Audiovox electronic cruise control on my Sport tourer and really didn't use it very much. I find a simple lock like this is all I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Motorcycle-Throttle-Aluminum-Silicone/dp/B07TF14C74/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3DZVEDR88R1O6&dchild=1&keywords=throttle+lock+cruise+control+motorcycle&qid=1596255935&sprefix=throttl+lock%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Yes i tried a throttle stability device, its 100% open.. Goes like a rocket 

I talked directly to Kaoko 10 days ago, and they said, be patient, we are working on one. Should be ready in 3 weeks. They said it would be suitable for standard fitment and with BarkBusters. Don't know about any other options yet.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I have the Kaoko on my Africa Twin with Oxford heated grips. No issues works perfectly. 

I am not going to add one in my T7. 

I have the KAOKO  installed on T7. It is originally from my previous

V-Strom 650. I just left the big bar weight of and drilled the 6mm

hole to 8mm for the barkbuster bolt. Works well with the OEM heated grips

and Barkbusters.

DSC_0501.JPG

• Like 3

I installed Kaoko kbb400 throttle lock on my T7. I have Oxford heated grips and Acerbis X-Factor hand guards. I needed to grind the ridge flat on the bar insert and procure a longer bolt for the hand guard. It works great!

20200629_161042.thumb.jpg.0a3ccdda5e4348b1d054556da8031705.jpg20200629_185136.thumb.jpg.0542f421870d976c134cb769e9ff572e.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Scaryfast said:

I installed Kaoko kbb400 throttle lock on my T7. I have Oxford heated grips and Acerbis X-Factor hand guards. I needed to grind the ridge flat on the bar insert and procure a longer bolt for the hand guard. It works great!

20200629_161042.thumb.jpg.0a3ccdda5e4348b1d054556da8031705.jpg20200629_185136.thumb.jpg.0542f421870d976c134cb769e9ff572e.jpg

So you're running the bar insert inside the threads on the bar?

What fitment is the Kbb400 for?  My Google-Fu tells me it s for the R1200GS.

J

1 minute ago, Goldentaco said:

So you're running the bar insert inside the threads on the bar?

What fitment is the Kbb400 for?  My Google-Fu tells me it s for the R1200GS.

J

Sorry, I have replaced the stock bars with a ProTaper Contour handlebar. So no threads in the bar.  Yes, this model KBB400 is specific to the R1200GS/GSA with barkbuster hand guards. As others posted, many Kaoko models for use with barkbusters on other bikes can be used with little modification on the T7. More so if you're using actual T7 specific barkbuster brand hand guards.

So, I searched for a slim barkbuster compatible model that did not use a bar end weight. The KBB400 fit the need, and at the time was on sale through Twisted Throttle for $81.75 USD. I am in Utah USA. With my aftermarket hand guard install, the bar insert is used to secure the guard within the handlebar, then the guard end bolt simply passes through the throttle lock, which sits at the end of the handlebar, and the lock spacer is able to put friction against the the grip/throttle tube when engaged.  

Thanks a lot Guys , you are my heroes 😃 . Thought I was the only one to think about this ^^ .
As Canzvt said , it should be ready directly from kaoko in 2 weeks , So I will wait for those ones , and if it is more later , will try one of your hack 🙂 

• 1 month later...

I ordered the yam625 for the T7, when it's in I'll post pictures and give an update. I have the OEM heated grips and the standard hand guards/wind deflectors. Am planning to upgrade to barkbusters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've talked directly to Johan at Kaoko (in South Africa) a bunch of times over the last 6 weeks, and after a bunch of measurements and pictures from my bike, finally his comment is that the KBB310 (Africa Twin) is the one for the T7 with Bark Busters. Not sure if it will fit without BB's, but that's the news from Kaoko. Now, try to find one. I've talked to Twisted Throttle 4 times now, and they had stock/didn't have stock/waiting for it to ship to TT Canada from the US warehouse, yadda yadda. Still no Kaoko throttle lock. Who the hell knows if/when I will get one. FRUSTRATING! Bought one of those clip-on-the-grips-rest-on-the-lever ones for now, and it kinda works...

Edited by Canzvt
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So, I've talked directly to Johan at Kaoko (in South Africa) a bunch of times over the last 6 weeks, and after a bunch of measurements and pictures from my bike, finally his comment is that the KBB310 (Africa Twin) is the one for the T7 with Bark Busters. Not sure if it will fit without BB's, but that's the news from Kaoko. Now, try to find one. I've talked to Twisted Throttle 4 times now, and they had stock/didn't have stock/waiting for it to ship to TT Canada from the US warehouse, yadda yadda. Still no Kaoko throttle lock. Who the hell knows if/when I will get one. FRUSTRATING! Bought one of those clip-on-the-grips-rest-on-the-lever ones for now, and it kinda works...

I ordered the one that revzilla recommended. 14mm Universal. 

Had to make up my own spacer to engage the throttle tube since I am using genuine heated grips with the funny spacer. Work really well with bark busters. 

Dan 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 4:07 AM, Yamajet said:

So how’d this work out Walter?

The official Kaoko yam625 for the T7 arrived this week. I have the OEM heated grips, which... Didn't work 😔. The filler spacer is a bit too wide, which locks the grip when the Koaka end weight is tightened. 

Option 1: cut a little of the spacer, or

Option 2: design and 3D print a new spacer :-p. Always good to have a reason for tinkering.

Works like a treat now. I expect with the non-heated grips it'll just fit.

I'll upload the design to thingiverse and post the link here.

Original "hand guards" btw. The fit with proper guards with be the next challenge..

IMG_20201009_111330718.jpg

IMG_20201009_111406014.jpg

IMG_20201009_122353509.jpg

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kaoko now shows two versions for the T7 on their site.  One for use with Barkbusters and one for use with the stock wind deflectors.  I think these recently came out. 

Edit-

I just got an email from Kaoko.  We are discussing what might work with my Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards.  I have the shorter HDB kit that deletes the factory bar end weights, and uses HDB's own top clamp.  I don't think there will be enough room to fit the Kaoko between the end of the bar and the HDB guard.  There's only about 14.5 mm of wiggle room there.  I'm waiting to hear back from Kaoko.  HDB's NexGen kit might allow even less room, only about 8-10mm.  But T7 owners that are using the HDB kits that mount WITH the factory bar end weights might be able to fit the Kaoko kit made to work with the factory plastic guards.

Hope this helps.  

Edited by SociallyStunted
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

Kaoko now shows two versions for the T7 on their site.  One for use with Barkbusters and one for use with the stock wind deflectors.  I think these recently came out. 

Edit-

I just got an email from Kaoko.  We are discussing what might work with my Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards.  I have the shorter HDB kit that deletes the factory bar end weights, and uses HDB's own top clamp.  I don't think there will be enough room to fit the Kaoko between the end of the bar and the HDB guard.  There's only about 14.5 mm of wiggle room there.  I'm waiting to hear back from Kaoko.  HDB's NexGen kit might allow even less room, only about 8-10mm.  But T7 owners that are using the HDB kits that mount WITH the factory bar end weights might be able to fit the Kaoko kit made to work with the factory plastic guards.

Hope this helps.  

Good to know. I've been trying to fit HDB to my T7 without bar end weights AND the factory heated grips.  No bueno, because of the extra grip spacers.  Sad, because I had the shorter guards anodized.  But now I'm thinking of going to the mount that includes the bar end weights...and now add the Kaoko option into this puzzle and geeze...  I need to start all over.

Finally received my Kaoko AT KBB310 from my 'friends' at Twisted Throttle. Fitted it up. Had to modify the narrow spacer a little bit for it to work with my new Oxford heated grips, but it fits, and works well. Now, if only I could ride it...3 inches of snow on the ground and -8C. The grips are really good...but... And my studded tires are packed away - I wonder if I could mount them up in tubeless fashion🤨

So, while I don't have the Yamaha Grips, my guess is that it will work fine. However, you will have to modify the collar washer (plastic) slightly to make it work. Everything else will work fine.

@djkouross Just fitted Kaoko KBB310 to my T7 with Yamaha heated grips and Barkbusters. Fits ok, but you may need one or two extra M8 spacer washers.

• Like 3