Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First post in the forum.  

owtcast

I've responded a couple times to my buddy's posts, (Combo),  but this is my first entry.   I took delivery of my new T7 yesterday.  I didn't have a chance to ride it or even sit on it when picking it up since I had two hours of driving...and two hours before I had to be at work.

Anyway, since I let Combo talk me into putting a deposit on this bike a month ago, I've been keeping in touch with him regularly while waiting for my bike to arrive at the dealers.  One of the things he mentioned that he had noticed in the short time he's owned his was the droning whine he experienced as speed increased. Long story short, he discovered that the chain tension on his new bike was extremely tight from the factory, which resulted in a stretched chain and the whine frequency at speed.  This stuck in the back of my mind, so I was sure to check my bike  for the same thing this morning before riding it for the first time.  

Sure enough, the chain was like a banjo string at rest.   Had I put weight on it (like riding it) I'm sure it would have prematurely stretched the chain and/or compromised the primary drive seal. THIS POST IS NOT TO PLACE BLAME OR CHASTISE THE FACTORY OR DEALER.  It's merely to point out that a thorough inspection isn't a bad idea on your new bike. I know a LOT of people in the Americas are taking possession of their new bikes, so hopefully by me sharing this, some of you can avoid the possible consequences down the road that Combo had to deal with.

PS. - Don't pay any attention to my labored breathing, ie....fat guy problems. 😆 

Looking forward to sharing the forum, the experiences, the people, and bikes with you guys. 😉   Terry

Edited by owtcast
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum...enjoy your new bike! Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owtcast said:

I've responded a couple times to my buddy's posts, (Combo),  but this is my first entry.   I took delivery of my new T7 yesterday.  I didn't have a chance to ride it or even sit on it when picking it up since I had two hours of driving...and two hours before I had to be at work.

Anyway, since I let Combo talk me into putting a deposit on this bike a month ago, I've been keeping in touch with him regularly while waiting for my bike to arrive at the dealers.  One of the things he mentioned that he had noticed in the short time he's owned his was the droning whine he experienced as speed increased. Long story short, he discovered that the chain tension on his new bike was extremely tight from the factory, which resulted in a stretched chain and the whine frequency at speed.  This stuck in the back of my mind, so I was sure to check my bike  for the same thing this morning before riding it for the first time.  

Sure enough, the chain was like a banjo string at rest.   Had I put weight on it (like riding it) I'm sure it would have prematurely stretched the chain and/or compromised the primary drive seal. THIS POST IS NOT TO PLACE BLAME OR CHASTISE THE FACTORY OR DEALER.  It's merely to point out that a thorough inspection isn't a bad idea on your new bike. I know a LOT of people in the Americas are taking possession of their new bikes, so hopefully by me sharing this, some of you can avoid the possible consequences down the road that Combo had to deal with.

PS. - Don't pay any attention to my labored breathing, ie....fat guy problems. 😆 

Looking forward to sharing the forum, the experiences, the people, and bikes with you guys. 😉   Terry

Terry, well observed, well done and very well told us all! Very important to all of us! Welcome in our forum!

Cheers from Austria/Europe, Guenther!

• Like 1