Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Helmet Lock for your Tenere 700?

loneranger700

Hey Tenere700.net, do you use a helmet lock for your bike? Curious to see what products (if any) you've bought to secure yours and your pillion's helmet to your bike, because I just realized this bike doesn't have a helmet lock..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

Goes between the hand grips and your hand guards or bar weight.

51zwUKVHmkL._AC_.jpg

With padlock

Without padlock.

Ahh, now that's pretty cool,being minimalist I like it a lot.

I'm considering buying something like this, but I'm not looking forward to having to keep more keys. Plus I need two frame locks (one for my pillion). Kind of in a bind so far..

https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Helmet-Lock-74937BSE/dp/B0081HPGBW/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+helmet+lock&qid=1596481349&sr=8-9

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 9:54 AM, Johnnyboxer said:

Aha

i remember you and the crash 

Good  bikes the T7

Had a GS1250 but really gelled with the T700. They are an angry lot on GSer for some reason JB.

I was going to use a leftover cable from my bicycle lock but i'd love to hear suggestions on something like this.

A thin cable of some sort that is coated so it doesn't run through my gear and I can use to secure my luggage and helmet at the same time.

Ideally long enough that I can loop through my bike chain but not too long

• Moderators

I've used an older version of this for years. 3' long, coated cable is easily passed through a jacket sleeve, through the helmet chinbar and around a solid point on the bike in seconds. It fits nicely in a pocket or under the seat when not in use. Yes, it's light cable is easily defeated with some stout dikes, but I only use it to discourage the amateur opportunistic thief, as if a pro or Neanderthal really wants your stuff, they'll get it.  I'd rather lose my helmet/jacket as opposed to a thief doing more costly damage to my bike trying to dislodge a solidly mounted lock.

The new version of this is listed on both Amazon and Cycle Gear, but CycleGear only ships to the US? (Amazon link jacked up)

20200815_064009.jpg

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

This is what I use.   I have a Klim and Schuberth helmet.  The T adapter slides into the latch on the Schuberth and for the Klim I just use the D-rings attached directly to the lock.   If I'm going to be anywhere for an extended period the helmet gets locked in the topbox, use a Kryptonite KryptoFlex cable through the visor area, or just take it with me. 

helmet_lok_ii_helmet_lock_black.jpg

Leave your helmet AND worries behind when you park. Find peace of mind in the HelmetLok II, rubber-coated to protect your bike as well as your helmet.

55 minutes ago, troxxos said:

Japanese model has helmet hanger on left pillion footpeg

Screenshot_20200820-131630.thumb.png.d63b4d1f05bed5cf453c02ea8f3167ca.png

Why wouldnt they include that on all bikes? As well as DRL on Euro models and not North America? It's just so much safer to have the extra lights back there at really no cost. It could be a selling point for the sales floor. That said I turned my new rear LED blinkers into DRL and what a difference it makes. Ill do a write up on it soon for others that might want to do the same. 

1 hour ago, troxxos said:

Japanese model has helmet hanger on left pillion footpeg

Screenshot_20200820-131630.thumb.png.d63b4d1f05bed5cf453c02ea8f3167ca.png

Is... There a way to obtain this..?

I'm considering this helmet locker, just wondering if any of the great minds on T7 forum might have the measurements between the two mounting points for MT 07/09 pillion peg brackets, or off the the top of their heads just happen to know if they are the same as on our T7's???

Screenshot_20200821-221145.png

I'm working on a simple solution under the passenger seat similar to another bike I had in the past.

Pop seat off, hook helmet D rings on steel hook or a small vinyl coated cable through D rings onto hook. Replace seat. Done.

No need for extra keys.

• Like 4

I use a cable combination lock similar to what was posted earlier. Most the time I carry my helmet with me. Cost of a Shoei X14 and a Cardo unit on it easily exceeds $1k to replace it all.

4 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

I'm working on a simple solution under the passenger seat similar to another bike I had in the past.

Pop seat off, hook helmet D rings on steel hook or a small vinyl coated cable through D rings onto hook. Replace seat. Done.

No need for extra keys.

YES, please make some for us!!! Thank you!

So surprising that Yamaha doesn't have this on ALL bikes.

1 hour ago, beater_bimmer said:

YES, please make some for us!!! Thank you!

So surprising that Yamaha doesn't have this on ALL bikes.

kind of annoys me that all it takes is a tiny bit of metal and a welding rig and you could easily slip some rings under the seat

7 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

No need for extra keys.

On my XSR 700 I had a helmet hook from Brogue Motorcycles that worked that way.  I used it all the time - small, simple and perfectly effective.