Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Overfilled oil

vagrant318

So I just did my Break in oil change, topping up oil, start bike, shut off and top up oil again, repeat. After a short ride see the sight glass is totally full, I've probably got closer to 2.8, 2.9 quarts in there, what's the worst that could happen? I'll drain and refill tomorrow without changing filter if it's an issue. Really don't like the eyeball and top up method- I prefer a hard number. Not changing the filter drain and add 2.4 quarts? 

Thanks I'm getting OCD on my first new bike

• Premium Member

I would not ride it overfilled, too much oil can foam, increase crankcase pressure and pop seals, or at the very least, start pushing oil into your air box, then into the intake.  Its just messy.

I don't think you have to drain the oil all the way either. 
Honestly, loosen the drian plug, (cold engine) use your fingers and keep loosening the drain plug, but keep it pushed in, let a bit of oil seep out...  check your level, drain a tiny bit more if needed etc.
Get your level about half way up the sight glass, maybe a bit higher than 1/2, tighten your drain plug, start the engine, warm it up, shut it off, check your oil level, adjust as necessary. 

Tazmool

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I would not ride it overfilled, too much oil can foam, increase crankcase pressure and pop seals, or at the very least, start pushing oil into your air box, then into the intake.  Its just messy.

I don't think you have to drain the oil all the way either. 
Honestly, loosen the drian plug, (cold engine) use your fingers and keep loosening the drain plug, but keep it pushed in, let a bit of oil seep out...  check your level, drain a tiny bit more if needed etc.
Get your level about half way up the sight glass, maybe a bit higher than 1/2, tighten your drain plug, start the engine, warm it up, shut it off, check your oil level, adjust as necessary. 

Tazmool

So now it seems to be sitting at this level cold. Is the important measurement cold or hot?

IMG_20200803_175627.thumb.jpg.6295d976d668f6ffbffab9a1c9f0478b.jpg

8 minutes ago, vagrant318 said:

So now it seems to be sitting at this level cold. Is the important measurement cold or hot?

IMG_20200803_175627.thumb.jpg.6295d976d668f6ffbffab9a1c9f0478b.jpg

Thats fine and normal, what my bike was at Day 1, and even after Yamah did the first 1k service themselves, just at the top line/bar

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To check oil level, 
Start it up, idle it, warm it up (does not have to be hot), shut off engine, let it sit for a minute, stand upright, check level.   As long as its somewhere near the middle or just above it, should be ok. 

In your photo, if the bike is cold, standing up right (not on side-stand)  its ok, I would not mess with it.  
The level is not too horribly picky, a few cc up or down is ok.   

Tazmool

• Like 2

I just want to comment, I had my oil filled above the sight line (probably a bubble of air visible), and the shifting was kind of sticky and the burble sounded totally normal.

However, that wasn't enough for me so I dropped the bash plate and wrapped some rubber bands around my filter for grip and slowly let it out along with enough oil (maybe a fifth of a cup?)to lower the oil level to a smidge above the line cold and smack dab in the middle hot.

My shifting feels maybe 20%~ smoother and the engine burbles a lot louder and more choppier now. Definitely more noticeable when the oil is *more* correct.

• Like 1

I did end up cracking my drain bolt and letting a little dribble out just for peace of mind. The shifting feels much smoother after the break in oil change at any rate

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So just picked up my bike on Saturday and noticed my oil was overfilled as well.  WTF?  Ridicules if you ask me.  I actually checked it right off the bat which you think must people do not do.  Who would think after the PDI the oil level would not be correct.  Anyway, ended up cracking the oil drain bolt and drained quite a bit out.  Maybe 200/300 ml.  A heads up to anyone buying a new T7 to check oil level.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 5:18 PM, josefmd said:

So just picked up my bike on Saturday and noticed my oil was overfilled as well.  WTF?  Ridicules if you ask me.  I actually checked it right off the bat which you think must people do not do.  Who would think after the PDI the oil level would not be correct.  Anyway, ended up cracking the oil drain bolt and drained quite a bit out.  Maybe 200/300 ml.  A heads up to anyone buying a new T7 to check oil level.

And also check cooling water level.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I might be laughed at for this, but just after getting my T700 I went to go for my first ride, turned the key, and noticed the oil light came on.  Started to worry and began pouring over the manual.  Even went out to buy some oil to top it off. 

Luckily before I did, I found in the manual that the oil light comes on until you start the engine....derp.   Time to enjoy the break-in worry free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Shadowfax said:

I might be laughed at for this

Naw, I commend you. The guys I laugh at are the ones that do not pay attention to the "Idiot Lights"!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I'm sure I've done that type of thing before.  Panic, then realize it's all for not.  Chime in often @Shadowfax.  You'll learn lot's of stuff about your new bike.

• Like 1

I just want to comment as well that I had my oil filled up to high when I bought a newT7. You had to tilt the bike to check oil level. At 1000km service in a Yamahs dealer (Motonord Manresa) again oil engine filled up to high. At 7515 km I replace oil and filter oil as Yamaha say on owner manual. 2,6 liters. Perfect oil level, just at the top line/bar.

My engine, cluch and shifting  feels maybe 40%~ smoother. The engine start much better. It feels like a diferent bike. 

12 hours ago, Shadowfax said:

I might be laughed at for this, but just after getting my T700 I went to go for my first ride, turned the key, and noticed the oil light came on.  Started to worry and began pouring over the manual.  Even went out to buy some oil to top it off. 

Luckily before I did, I found in the manual that the oil light comes on until you start the engine....derp.   Time to enjoy the break-in worry free.

We’ve all had those moments. 

• Like 1

Ones I did this on an old bike when I didn't had a lot of money.  I didn't want to take out the plug underneath that bike because I was afraid that I would drop it and I had to buy a couple liters of new oil.

I took a glas jar with an unscrewable lid (from the last meal) and some plastic tubes, made two holes in top of the lid, put the hoses in (one to the bottom and one near the lid) and sealed them with silicone kit. 

Now I could suck out the oil, from the top fill plug, and collect it in the jar. 

Eventually this "device" stayed in my shed and I've used it a couple of times for different applications.

Edited by Mr. Kwak
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd chime in as I filled my FZ-07 too much one time, instead of doing the drain bolt as the washer crushes down at the right torque. I loosened the oil filter and let a little run out then tightened that back up.  I do feel like my dealer filled my T7 to the tip top of the fill line, they must do it by measurement instead of put most in, start, run, let it cool down for a few and check again to top off.