Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crash reports

AZJW

• Moderators

Nope, not a particularly pleasant subject,  but if we ride these bikes long enough/hard enough, then drops will most likely happen.  With just 600 miles on the clock and only 25% in the dirt, I haven't "yet" had an incident to report, but I'm sure it's only a matter of when, not if.  While nobody likes to post about what went wrong,  others can learn from our " transgressions with traction" by describing how protective gear, for both bike and body, worked or didn't work.  Being in the market for a number of items such as a skid plate, crash bars, hand guards, side racks, etc... I'll bet these reports could help many owners here.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators

@29er

Great feedback. In giving you a thumbs up, it's for the post and insight, not the crash!

Another great post we can learn from by @UtahJack

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

This happened Friday. 300 miles into my new bike. Was half way through the crossing and hit a boulder that pitched me to the right. After fighting with that, I came to a stop so I could readjust and line up for the hill climb on the other side. Unfortunately, my front tire was in a really bad spot right as I came to a stop. Damage is very minimal and probably would've been non existent if my crash bars and hand guards were installed. Ordered those a month ago and I'm told I've got until the end of this month before they can catch up. Oh well, cant be too upset! It happened doing adventure things. 

Nothing compared to @UtahJack or @29er 

received_1473480956173516(1)(2).gif

Edited by Tooph
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 29er said:

......that resulted in the loss of sight in one eye permanently  

What a crazy story man. Glad you're OK and still hanging the cajones enough ride. It is important to know that slow riding takes just as much skill and attention than fast. 

So if there's a big group ride, will you be the one wearing a cool pirate patch so we can pick you out of a crowd?  Yarrrr......

Skid plate upgrade if you plan on taking the T7 off road.

This posted on the FB T7 group page just a few hours ago.

116879992_737179653787712_4293329752676471292_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh boy, where do I start lol... 

I've dropped the bike twice off road, one in sand, and the second, front tire hit a rock, deflected me into a tree, barbusters hit the tree, then dropped the bike on its left side. The sand one, resulted in no damage. The tree one, handlebars bent at the triple clams and the barkbusters bent backwards denting the top tank, exhaust got gushed and dented the swing arm. 

What to learn from those: Tighten your barkbusters well, get rid of the low oem pipe. 

IMG-4490.jpg

IMG-4491.jpg

Third one, was a low side on tarmac, happened to me on Friday just outside of work. 

I took a left turn into a corner, not fast, a 2nd gear, 30-40kp/h turn. Leaned the bike too low, I think I hit the center stand tab, or the foot peg, one of those first, which lifted the rear wheel sending the bike into a slide. The bike did a full 180 turn sliding down the road, pivoting on the centre stand foot tab. 

barkbusters worked as expected, in fact the lowside was almost exactly the same as the OM test video, just on tarmac. The lower bars worked great, albeit grinded off a bit. Center stand moved up, and into the swing arm. I think the centre stand is slightly bent now, hard to tell, no wonder Yamaha built that thing like a tank. Oh, and the front fender bolt bent, thankfully didn't break like many reports! Pivot Pegz held great. 

What to learn from this: Don't go too low on the centre stand side, it may catch. change front lower fork bolts to nylon ones asap. 

IMG-4992.jpg

IMG-4995.jpg

IMG-4996.jpg

IMG-5003.jpg

Edited by ScorpionT16

• Moderators

@29er

Good on you to overcome something so significant and continue to ride, my hat is off to you.

@Tooph

Bummer on the timing, but it's not like we're going to leave these beasts in the garage until we get all the wanted/ needed bits in place.

@REDHORSECA

Thanks for this. Guessing my skid plate wants (and probably many other owners) just got moved up the priority list.

@ScorpionT16

Thanks for posting and your recommendations.  I'm shopping an aftermarket pipe along with crashbars, but need side racks for my luggage, gps mount.... So much to evaluate.  Great feedback so far!

• Like 2