Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Early fuel flashing ?

cabby

• Premium Member

Has anyone experienced their low fuel flashing while still lots of fuel left in the tank ??

I filled up the other day and around 125 miles mine started flashing, thought, well may be I didn't fill right up in the first place, anyway, made it to filling station and only managed to get just over ten litres in, still another 6 in the tank despite the flashing low fuel sign. 

First time it's happened to me after almost 4000 miles. 

Most of us have had this... There was a thread about it... Anyways... You've left the bike on the side stand while the ignition was on and it read the fuel tilting to the side.... 👍

Aleks 

Mine flashes with approx 4 litres left if that helps.

Edited by Matth

In my case, from the first day, refuelling after indicator starts flashing only admits about 9 liters. 

That means I can do more than 100 km looking for a gas station, but I never make more than 50 km with the reserve. 

And I always use the second kilomters counter to control how many kilomteres I have done. 

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Matth said:

Mine flashes with approx 4 litres left if that helps.

I have found that usually between 150-170 miles before it starts flashing and know I have at least 30-40 miles left, on this occasion it flashed at 125 which seemed very strange. 

13 hours ago, cabby said:

I have found that usually between 150-170 miles before it starts flashing and know I have at least 30-40 miles left, on this occasion it flashed at 125 which seemed very strange. 

That is strange, if it does not come up again it must have been a glitch ... if it does take it to the dealer to check the reader in the tank .. Aleks 🙂

• Like 1

I have the same thing and it annoys me. After 10 liters it starts counting even though there are 6 more in the tank. You start thinking every time and control odometer that it's not enough fuel, even though it's 162 km away. I thought it was just my bike.

• Like 1

• Moderators

162 miles today on a full tank when the fuel light started flashing as I pulled into a station to refuel. Took exactly 3.0 gallons which in this instance would've given me about 215 miles until fuel exhaustion.  This was after spirited twisties, no freeway droning along at a steady speed.  Not too bad this tank averaging 52.6 mpg, last few tanks netted about 48-50 mpg, which got me 144-150 miles before the 50 mile reserve light started flashing.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Riding in Salida CO area right now and my low fuel light/countdown indicators came on at 202 miles....I filled at 220 miles with 3.03 gallons.

• Premium Member

I have the same early warninig / large reserve tank on mine too. 
Previous ride, I put on 185 miles (297km) and 11.6L went in.  There was no fuel warning flashing yet, but must have been close. 

Today's ride, fuel indicator started flashing and counting up at about 191miles (306km) and I'm currently at 378km ~236miles (will fill up tomorrow and see how much goes in)  I'm guessing its pretty low 😅 

But I want to know what the full endurance is (with out actualy running it out)... I have a few cross Canada trips I'm thinking about .... 

This is with the 2WDW ecu flash too, I'm a bit surprised that the mpg has not taken a hit.

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Ok, Just filled up the bike after yesterday's ride. 

Numbers:

Total Distance travelled since full:  381km  (238 miles)
Distance travelled on fuel warning flashing:  74km (46 miles)

Fuel to fill up:  14.3L  (3.76 us gallons)

I think I could have gone another 40km on what was left in the tank, I definitely would not push it that far, but its good to know.
I think hitting 400km on a tank would be a stretch, but doable if you took it easy and had to stretch it.  415km and you're empty.  Once reserve is on and light flashing, ~100km in the tank if you're taking it easy (and thats running the tank really low)

Tazmool

• Like 4

On 8/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, Tazmool said:

Numbers:

I think I could have gone another 40km on what was left in the tank, I definitely would not push it that far, but its good to know.
I think hitting 400km on a tank would be a stretch, but doable if you took it easy and had to stretch it.  415km and you're empty.  Once reserve is on and light flashing, ~100km in the tank if you're taking it easy (and thats running the tank really low)

Tazmool

My range is only 340 kms (211 miles)!

The Canadian manual does say there is a reserve of 4 litres which is a lot on a 16 litre tank.  After two months of riding, the flashing reserve indicator has come on at about 230 to 255 kms (143 to  158 miles).  So, last week I just arrived in Mica, BC and the reserve flash came on at 255 kms (158 miles).  I decided to run the tank dry to see how far I could get on the reserve.   The highway (one way road to a dam) was deserted with mostly dropping elevation so  I kept her at about 5000 rpms (about 110 kph). I run only 87 octane.   I ran dry after a further 85 kms (53 miles), for a total tank range of 340 kms (211 miles).  (I note that she didn't cut out completely, but coughed and sputtered allowing me to safely pull over and park - nice feature!)

This is better range than I had expected and maybe I don't need to carry  the Rotopax after all.  But  I like it because it fills that dead space behind my Outback Motortek pannier rack and Mosko panniers!

T7 Rotopak.JPG

On 8/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, Tazmool said:

Numbers:

Tazmool

Just now, Fraz's T7 said:

What was your efficiency Taz? 

I get about 4.5-5L/100km in the bush.. And looking for fuel at 220km

• Premium Member

A bit of quick math:

63mpg (us)

3.75L/100km

This was a primary a round southern Ontario ride, mostly back roads, fun ride, a bit of 401 highway, then the last 1-1.5hrs just getting home, in the rain (trying to conserve fuel as it was late at night, no gas stations around etc)

Probably more or less best case scenario.

Tazmool

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, Petebcca said:

My range is only 340 kms (211 miles)!

The Canadian manual does say there is a reserve of 4 litres which is a lot on a 16 litre tank.  After two months of riding, the flashing reserve indicator has come on at about 230 to 255 kms (143 to  158 miles).  So, last week I just arrived in Mica, BC and the reserve flash came on at 255 kms (158 miles).  I decided to run the tank dry to see how far I could get on the reserve.   The highway (one way road to a dam) was deserted with mostly dropping elevation so  I kept her at about 5000 rpms (about 110 kph). I run only 87 octane.   I ran dry after a further 85 kms (53 miles), for a total tank range of 340 kms (211 miles).  (I note that she didn't cut out completely, but coughed and sputtered allowing me to safely pull over and park - nice feature!)

This is better range than I had expected and maybe I don't need to carry  the Rotopax after all.  But  I like it because it fills that dead space behind my Outback Motortek pannier rack and Mosko panniers!

T7 Rotopak.JPG

So how much gas did you put in when you filled up? No one has posted how much gas the tank holds in real life as I think you are the first to run It dry on here.

5 hours ago, motoAT said:

So how much gas did you put in when you filled up? No one has posted how much gas the tank holds in real life as I think you are the first to run It dry on here.

You know, that is one calculation I did not make because after it went dry, I added the 3.5 litres from my Rotapax then went to the pumps and didn't log how much went it.  My sense is that the tank holds in excess of 16 litres as the manual says don't fill about the bottom of the internal spout, and I usually get another .5 litres into the tank.  Don't know what the harm of overfilling is as there is no leakage i can see.

Yesterday did 166 miles then started flashing. Pulled over 15 mins later doing 55 and put in 10.6 L.

so doing the maths over 200 per ride is easily achievable.

the next trip i will top it right out and run it dry carrying a gallon can and will let u know

Edited by Matth

• Premium Member

It's relevant to how one rides the thing but on the day in question I wasn't riding hard, far from it with only 125 miles on the clock. 

I agree under normal riding 200 miles is achievable and that early flashing hasn't happened again since but it's easy to think...ach it'll be fine but once it's been flashing for 40 miles one does start to get a bit nervous.   

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the reserve indicator does come in a bit early, but not by much. Usually comes on at ~280 km (174 miles) and I drive another 30-40 km and fill up at ~320 km (200). Typical fill up is ~13 liters (3.43 gallons US), so given the avg. fuel consumption there's probably ~4,5 liters left when the reserve indicator comes on.

What I find more annoying is that the first bar of the fuel gauge usually lasts for 110-120 km, and the others drop very quickly in comparison. So when I set out for a nice ride and check the gauge "oh, good - almost full tank", fast forward 150 km "WTH, why is it almost empty!?"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, whisperquiet said:

Riding in Salida CO area right now and my low fuel light/countdown indicators came on at 202 miles....I filled at 220 miles with 3.03 gallons.

I don't see how this is possible unless you made a herculean effort to improve your fuel economy. 

High altitude at moderate speeds gives good fuel mileage.   I live near St. Louis, MO at 650 feet above sea level

and fuel mileage is mid 50s.

I do ride a motorcycle “soft” and rarely on the gas.  I am moderately fast.....all the time!👍

Edited by whisperquiet

From what I have experienced, the T7 MPG is extremely dependent on how you ride it. I have had the fuel light start blinking at 88 miles after VERY hard riding, I have also had the fuel light come on after 130 miles of mixed hard-moderate riding. I have also stretched out the MPG to 50+ if I cruise it keeping it under 75 mph with light throttle.