Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clunk noise from front suspension (I guess...)

łorsoł

Question

Hi. 

I have strange clunk noise when I compress front suspension.. Clunk and un-clunk when I decompress. And it's occasionally, sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes its not there...

Anybody had that? I checked steering bearings and they seem to be fine, all nuts are tightened. So I thing it is a suspension, left leg exactly. Any ideas? 

Edited by łorsoł

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, łorsoł said:

Hi. 

I have strange clunk noise when I compress front suspension.. Clunk and un-clunk when I decompress. And it's occasionally, sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes its not there...

Anybody had that? I checked steering bearings and they seem to be fine, all nuts are tightened. So I thing it is a suspension, left leg exactly. Any ideas? 

Try re torquing  The head  bearing.

I had the same thing.  Messed around for ages listening.  Popped the caps off and came to the conclusion that the upper spring seat is of a poor (loose) tolerance, this was allowing the spring to move around and click or tap on either the damper rod or the fork tube as the spring compresses. I spun the spring around.  Noise went from a click to a rubbing sound.  Sometimes it's there, sometimes not.  I tried a mates bike, exactly the same, except his appered to be left fork, mine was right.  I plan on machining some preload spacers, and correcting the tolerance issue.  To be honest, it's not loud and my mate had not even heard it until I pointed it out.  We both have been riding the bike like this and nothing had changed in about 1500k's.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for your update. It drove me crazy. Especially that last 700km there is almost no sound at all... Hate to don't know what's going on 🤔 I suspected the spring is moving around inside the fork, as per few treads on other forums it happens from time to time. Ok, will keep an eye (and ear) on it, at least till suspension upgrade 😀 

• Like 1

Because the fork spring on the Yamaha does not have enough preload on it, then this means it can move around where it seats on the inside of the fork cap.

as soon as you increase the preload with extra washers we found that the noise disappeared

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Ktmmitch, I'm gonna have a look inside the fork then and try with the washers 👍

• Premium Member

Mine does that too for the first foot or so of riding it , but only when I first start to ride it for the day. Then nothing the rest of the ride. 

Reviving this dead thread. Mine does the same. If I push it down a little when its cold it makes this annoying popping / creaky noise. Drives me nuts.