Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fork springs vendors and recommendations

Vtamb81

Who’s replaced their fork springs? Anyone vendors in the US other than KTech I should be aware of? 

im 215 with gear and have a 90N rear spring from RR on the way, along with their new preload spacers. Depending on how well the Fork spring rate performs with the proper preload I might be in the market for fork springs. 

Edited by Vtamb81
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vtamb81 said:

Who’s replaced their fork springs? Anyone vendors in the US other than KTech I should be aware of? 

im 215 with gear and have a 90N rear spring from RR on the way, along with their new preload spacers. Depending on how well the Fork spring rate performs with the proper preload I might be in the market for fork springs. 

I have replaced mine on my T700Sm, ktech 6.3nm I think... I weigh 104 without gear and the bike handles so much better now... Unfortunately I can't report off road usage as I'm not using the bike for off road... Aleks 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody else have experience swapping fork springs on their T7? I’m 215 lbs with full riding gear. Just put on a 90 rear spring and it is SOOO much better. 

RaceTech

I spoke with RaceTech today. Their automated website system recommended a 6.4 spring rate (screen shot attached), but When I called they said they may only be able to do 6.5.

1F641310-7C9B-4457-98CA-FC876B8B0F00.png

Cogent

I spoke with Cogent and they don’t have fork springs ready yet. 

HyperPro (EPM = US Distributor)

they have front springs available for the T7. They are progressive springs starting at 6nm and ending at 9nm. They indicated my riding weight would work well in this range. 

Edited by Vtamb81

• 4 months later...

I went with the Race Techs. My TM dealer is a Race Tech dealer and he did the install for me. I am 230 without gear and put these in. Happy with the update. I do not know exactly how much preload shims were added, but I can easily ask. Race Tech recommended XX mm of shims for my weight and riding style I asked for and that is what we started with. Still gotta get some time on them to sack everything in and then go back and re-measure and set final sag.

50834823206_ddd33da086_k.jpg

Edited by Firebolter

On 9/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Vtamb81 said:

Anybody else have experience swapping fork springs on their T7? I’m 215 lbs with full riding gear. Just put on a 90 rear spring and it is SOOO much better. 

RaceTech

I spoke with RaceTech today. Their automated website system recommended a 6.4 spring rate (screen shot attached), but When I called they said they may only be able to do 6.5.

1F641310-7C9B-4457-98CA-FC876B8B0F00.png

Cogent

I spoke with Cogent and they don’t have fork springs ready yet. 

HyperPro (EPM = US Distributor)

they have front springs available for the T7. They are progressive springs starting at 6nm and ending at 9nm. They indicated my riding weight would work well in this range. 

How did you make out with your suspension? Did you replace your springs? I'm basically the same weight and just put on the RR 90N spring so I'm curious what you did and if you're happy with the results. A little to cold for riding where I'm at (for me anyway) so I haven't been able to test anything yet. Interested in hearing what your clicker settings are too. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, jeff03064 said:

How did you make out with your suspension? Did you replace your springs? I'm basically the same weight and just put on the RR 90N spring so I'm curious what you did and if you're happy with the results. A little to cold for riding where I'm at (for me anyway) so I haven't been able to test anything yet. Interested in hearing what your clicker settings are too. Thanks!

Suspension is pretty good now. I put a RR90 rear spring on also....Rear is MUCH better. Front is good too...much less brake dive, on most gravel/double track I seem to be staying in the middle of the stroke, and I haven’t been bottoming the front on small jumps. Front still hits a little hard on square hits, so I’ll probably play around with the compression a little more. I’m no all-star rider but it’s definitely a lot better!

current clickers:

R preload: 5 clicks

R comp: 13/20

R reb: 13/23

F comp: 14/20

F reb: 16/26

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Suspension is pretty good now. I put a RR90 rear spring on also....Rear is MUCH better. Front is good too...much less brake dive, on most gravel/double track I seem to be staying in the middle of the stroke, and I haven’t been bottoming the front on small jumps. Front still hits a little hard on square hits, so I’ll probably play around with the compression a little more. I’m no all-star rider but it’s definitely a lot better!

current clickers:

R preload: 5 clicks

R comp: 13/20

R reb: 13/23

F comp: 14/20

F reb: 16/26

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm no all-star rider either but I'd like to try and get this thing dialed in as best I can. All this suspension stuff is a little bit of black magic to me and it's hard to know where to start. Figured I'd cheat off of you as a starting point considering it's the same bike and we're about the same weight. For the forks: did you install a preload spacer? Change out the springs?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, jeff03064 said:

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm no all-star rider either but I'd like to try and get this thing dialed in as best I can. All this suspension stuff is a little bit of black magic to me and it's hard to know where to start. Figured I'd cheat off of you as a starting point considering it's the same bike and we're about the same weight. For the forks: did you install a preload spacer? Change out the springs?

Thanks!

Yeah, sorry forgot that info! I ended up getting the Hyperpro progressives, partly from recommendations from other riders, partly because at the time I had trouble finding linear springs that were OEM length and didn’t require cutting massive spacers. 

Regarding regular thin spacers, I have a pack of 5-7.5 mm spacers from Rally Raid, but didn’t need them to get the right sag. Whenever I change the fork fluid I might throw in 5mm as an experiment to see how it changes, but right now I’m happy. 

10 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Yeah, sorry forgot that info! I ended up getting the Hyperpro progressives, partly from recommendations from other riders, partly because at the time I had trouble finding linear springs that were OEM length and didn’t require cutting massive spacers. 

Regarding regular thin spacers, I have a pack of 5-7.5 mm spacers from Rally Raid, but didn’t need them to get the right sag. Whenever I change the fork fluid I might throw in 5mm as an experiment to see how it changes, but right now I’m happy. 

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

• Like 1

Very helpful Vtamb81, thanks for the share. I am going to start where your at but need to get a rear spring upgrade in place. I am a 200 pound rider. Curious after seeing your picture and the terrain your riding on. what tires did you decide on? I am in AZ awaiting my T7. I rented one for a weekend and was NOT ok with the handling of the bike on hard pack dirt, rocks and gravel. Considering Battleaxe AX41 or TKC80. Sorry I know not a tire thread but again was curious based on terrain and level you are riding at. thx!

1 hour ago, Nacovi said:

Very helpful Vtamb81, thanks for the share. I am going to start where your at but need to get a rear spring upgrade in place. I am a 200 pound rider. Curious after seeing your picture and the terrain your riding on. what tires did you decide on? I am in AZ awaiting my T7. I rented one for a weekend and was NOT ok with the handling of the bike on hard pack dirt, rocks and gravel. Considering Battleaxe AX41 or TKC80. Sorry I know not a tire thread but again was curious based on terrain and level you are riding at. thx!

Mu profile pic was in Colorado on the TransAmerica Trail. I live on the east coast I’m VA. Lots of gravel roads. Lots of muddy, rooted, rocky double/single track. 

My 90nm RR rear spring instantly changed the bike. Definitely a good place to start. Front springs improve the handling/cornering even more. 

TIRE TRIGGER WARNING 😉im still running the stock Pirellis...have about 3300 miles on them...could probably get another 1000 out of the rear but that would be pushing it where I ride. I think they actually do OK pushing it off road but you really have to be comfortable with the rear breaking loose.  I’ve got a pair of Michelin Anakee Wilds in my garage. For me it was between that and the Motoz Tractionator ADV....went with Michelin just based on their exponentially more R&D $$. 

• 8 months later...

New to the group, and after a quick scan of this thread I thought I'd add the one suspension mod I made, and it made a big difference!  I put in Hyperpro progressive springs front and rear (Touratech also sells them under their name as well).  The theory on progressive springs is that they are very supple on the smaller stuff, but when bigger hits happen that supple travel gives way to progressively stronger spring rates.  I have been amazed how over smaller ripples and jagged rocks that you don't even feel them, its like you're still on smooth road.  When the hits are bigger, they do a great job.  I had these on my Africa Twin as well.  I highly recommend them!

Disclaimer:  Right before I got the bike I had a concussion from a fall on my 690, the second in 18 months.  Both were apparently unexplained loss of consciousness (the first one caused 3 days of amnesia).  So I have been going through tests the last couple months with restrictions on riding off road.  I have recently been allowed back on the dirt, but I haven't done anything really gnarly.  But I am confident that the springs will continue to satisfy me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

New to the group, and after a quick scan of this thread I thought I'd add the one suspension mod I made, and it made a big difference!  I put in Hyperpro progressive springs front and rear (Touratech also sells them under their name as well).  The theory on progressive springs is that they are very supple on the smaller stuff, but when bigger hits happen that supple travel gives way to progressively stronger spring rates.  I have been amazed how over smaller ripples and jagged rocks that you don't even feel them, its like you're still on smooth road.  When the hits are bigger, they do a great job.  I had these on my Africa Twin as well.  I highly recommend them!

Disclaimer:  Right before I got the bike I had a concussion from a fall on my 690, the second in 18 months.  Both were apparently unexplained loss of consciousness (the first one caused 3 days of amnesia).  So I have been going through tests the last couple months with restrictions on riding off road.  I have recently been allowed back on the dirt, but I haven't done anything really gnarly.  But I am confident that the springs will continue to satisfy me.

For off road riding, linear springs are more suitable:

Why linear springs?
The linkage is already progressive enough. So there is no functional need for progressive springs. On the other hand the linear springs have advantages over progressive springs:
A) Linear springs do not go coil bound so they are linear all the way. No matter the preload.
B) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the lifetime of linear springs is longer.
C) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the coating does not crack leaving the wire unprotected.
D) Most progressive springs have two distinct spring rates. The switching point from soft to harder can be noticeable during riding.
E) The switching point is moving when you add or decrease preload. More preload means the switching point will come in sooner.
F) Progressive spring are in most cases heavier.

Progressive springs are mainly for heavy road bikes, or a quick fix to lower seat height.

• Like 3

Well, I am no suspension expert, but I don't agree.  Front forks have no linkage, and one of the problems i have had on several bikes are square edge hits at low and medium speeds.  Always felt them and these eliminate that.  I have not felt any switching point, I find them supple and smooth as they transition through the stroke and rarely bottom.  Where linear springs don't coil bind, they bottom easier.  Something has to give.  Either the the small stuff is harsh or the big hits bottom.   I have had no issues with progressive springs, in fact its the opposite, I think they make for a smoother jolt free ride.  Have you ridden any Adv bikes with progressive springs?  If not, you might like what you feel.

Besides, why is it that the only springs Touratech sells are progressive when their customer base is all off road riders.  They aren't necessarily the bastion of cutting edge technology, but they sell to adv oriented motorcyclists.  

Thanks for the response

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

Well, I am no suspension expert, but I don't agree.  Front forks have no linkage, and one of the problems i have had on several bikes are square edge hits at low and medium speeds.  Always felt them and these eliminate that.  I have not felt any switching point, I find them supple and smooth as they transition through the stroke and rarely bottom.  Where linear springs don't coil bind, they bottom easier.  Something has to give.  Either the the small stuff is harsh or the big hits bottom.   I have had no issues with progressive springs, in fact its the opposite, I think they make for a smoother jolt free ride.  Have you ridden any Adv bikes with progressive springs?  If not, you might like what you feel.

Besides, why is it that the only springs Touratech sells are progressive when their customer base is all off road riders.  They aren't necessarily the bastion of cutting edge technology, but they sell to adv oriented motorcyclists.  

Thanks for the response

I don't profess to be a suspension expert, but we do manufacture & develop our own range of suspension here at Rally Raid Products in the UK, and some of of own products we developed are in the Touratech range.

The main reason, as stated previously, is that fitting a progressive spring gives a perceived benefit of a softer start, which really should be corrected by damping and preload changes, but a progressive gives a "quick fix" that is cheaper and easier to install.

We prefer to use linear, as they are a constant, and then we develop the correct damping to suit the bike & conditions, however, many riders are more than happy with progressive, or companies wouldn't sell them.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply.  It probably is an easier solution, but I don't have a lot of access to good tuners here.  Being retired, I am recluctant to spend the money anyway.  I have always tried to get the preload correct and sag correct, but I don't have the knowledge or experience to mess with the internals.  Shim stacks seem like a dark art to me!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info!

What about doing a combination of progressive springs in the forks and linear in the shock? The Hyperpro fork springs look like a nice product (https://www.off-the-road.de/en/700-tenere/suspension-wheels/wear-parts/686/hyperpro-fork-springs-yamaha-tenere-700) with the stiffer linear spring for the shock (ie https://www.off-the-road.de/en/700-tenere/wear-parts/suspension/1173/uprated-shock-spring-yamaha-tenere-700-white?number=SF-TTS-T700-90).

I'm about 100kg with gear and crash bars & central stand so perhaps the progressive Hyperpro springs for forks would be suitable? Want to use the bike for more offroad than onroad, though, so not sure.

Properly selected linear springs are available from many sources.  Ktech, Rally Raid, Stoltec Moto, Stadium Suspension.

if you are in the USA I would buy from Stoltec Moto.  $100/set is a great price for a proper set of springs.  0.65 or 0.70 kg/mm will give you proper sag right out of the box.

I wouldn't put progressive springs on a push lawn mower, but it's your money spend it where you want.  

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

Ikon expert

So we chose to go with Ikon’s progressive fork springs and rear shocks.

Director Geoff Lowe says that when there are more variables in your riding environment, a “well-chosen progressive-rate spring will do a better job than a linear rate spring”.

Ikon 7614 progressive shocks Ikon 7614 progressive shocks

“That is not to say that it creates a one-spring-fits-all situation as it does not do that,” he says. 

“What I do find, though, is that a progressive-rate spring will provide better results in more circumstances more of the time. This can include the need to deal with variations in road surfaces, road conditions and riding loads. 

“Where a linear-rate spring might shine is where the variables are more limited. The best example of that being on a road racing track. The track surface is consistent, the riding as always solo and the set-up should be tuned accordingly.”

Now read our report on fitting by Oliver’s Motorcycles.

• 4 months later...