Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Prototype T7

Matth

I was just looking back at the teaser pics from 2017 ish and the visual differences between current unit and 1st model and tbh it looks like it had an ally frame, single brake disc, a more user friendly exhaust mount and whats that silver pipe at the bottom of the water pump?

does this mean they tried it and didn’t work? Did anyone see the prototype?.

E6531AC1-8DC0-4887-9CE0-51C7DD6AAABB.png

2A2508BE-170B-4191-9DD3-44B661D9BE07.png

34F08BA7-76C3-488C-884A-43B821646AE1.png

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

I’m looking at the bolt on aluminum subframe the most. Wish they’d stuck with that design. I’m sure it would have increased the price though. 

Edited by roy826

The proto also had an aluminum tank, carbon parts, WR450 fork, 185 kg (wet), and a seat height of 990 mm. Though I like it I guess the latter would disqualify the bike for most customers. I have no idea what would be the price for a mass version of the T7

• Like 1

Best regards,

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Mike

Thanks for the info mike. Always interesting to see how bikes change from inception to final version. At 185 kgs wet that would be a tough one ever to beat. 

Any more info would be good as ive got a few ideas on mine. Expensive but do-able.

• 3 months later...

Looks like an entirely aluminum frame, like on a YZ.  I wonder if future versions will get an aluminum frame ?

Edited by ADV Newbie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:19 AM, Eugenio said:

Hpcorse prototype. End march final solution

Is this your bike?

On 8/16/2020 at 1:30 AM, roy826 said:

I’m looking at the bolt on aluminum subframe the most. Wish they’d stuck with that design. I’m sure it would have increased the price though. 

I’ve seen this mentioned several times. Why is a bolted on subframe better than a welded one? The only argument I’ve heard is that if you bend your subframe, you’re bike is by definition «totalled». Is this true and are there any other arguments?

1 hour ago, JayD said:

I’ve seen this mentioned several times. Why is a bolted on subframe better than a welded one? The only argument I’ve heard is that if you bend your subframe, you’re bike is by definition «totalled». Is this true and are there any other arguments?

Well for one it is much easier to replace if damaged. I've never saw a real dirtbike with a welded subframe.

24 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Well for one it is much easier to replace if damaged. I've never saw a real dirtbike with a welded subframe.

Yep that is because Tenere is not a dirt bike but an adventure one with dirt capabilities ... and if you are stuck in a middle of no where what do you prefer a bent  frame or one with snapped bolts? In some places in africa or asia it should be easier to weld back the frame than to find propper bolts. Atleast thats are some arguments from some adventurers out there. But both have advantages and drawbacks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, didier said:

Yep that is because Tenere is not a dirt bike but an adventure one with dirt capabilities ... and if you are stuck in a middle of no where what do you prefer a bent  frame or one with snapped bolts? In some places in africa or asia it should be easier to weld back the frame than to find propper bolts. Atleast thats are some arguments from some adventurers out there. But both have advantages and drawbacks.

A friend of mine came off his BMW GS and the front footpeg hangar took a knock and had a chip out of it. When the insurance assessor saw this damage he assessed it as needing a new frame....this made the bike an economic write off. And the dealers were instructed to declare the frame as not fit to be put back on the road.

I would rather have a bolt on subframe because a subframe will always be easier to realign than a frame and carrying spare Nuts and Bolts is no big deal.

If the frame and subframe were of the same material it could be welded if the bolts broke. 

• 5 weeks later...

Any news?

On 3/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, Eugenio said:

IMG-20210129-WA0014.jpg

Looks nice, but I guess most of the riders out there only need the s-bend pipe so they can attach their own exaust.

So this prototype will work with stock headers or does it need HPcorse ones ?

Looks promising.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, it's end of April now, is it done?

Due covid positives emploiers hpcorse has a big delay.

Just on 28th april they did the eu5 homologation.

Next week they will mount on my t7 the first exemplar.

They say that the commercialization will be from 10th may 2021

Photos of the finally version

IMG-20210427-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20210427-WA0006.jpg

• Like 5