Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First bit of Green lane on my new Rally...

jeeves1275

Been poring over a local map and found a couple of short Byways Open To all Traffic nearby, couldn't resist taking my new Rally down one of them, never been off road before, so arse was well and truly clenched!  I need to get some training soon! Was pretty though, through an apple orchard 🙂

Bike looks so much better with the T7Rally tail tidy fitted.  Also added the screen adjuster which made a big difference, still buffeted but wind not right in my face!  

20200818_124500.thumb.jpg.45dbd638b9f9c800d00296b7b582d462.jpg

20200818_124418.thumb.jpg.7338172fb0a46b51bb5a0bdc7cc728a6.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Edited by jeeves1275
Pics
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Matth said:

Congrats dude. Cant see pics tho!

lol, rookie error, they there now?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeeves1275 said:

Been poring over a local map and found a couple of short Byways Open To all Traffic nearby, couldn't resist taking my new Rally down one of them, never been off road before, so arse was well and truly clenched!  I need to get some training soon! Was pretty though, through an apple orchard 🙂

Bike looks so much better with the T7Rally tail tidy fitted.  Also added the screen adjuster which made a big difference, still buffeted but wind not right in my face!  

20200818_124500.thumb.jpg.45dbd638b9f9c800d00296b7b582d462.jpg

20200818_124418.thumb.jpg.7338172fb0a46b51bb5a0bdc7cc728a6.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Looks great and well done for trying off road.

The best advice is to stand up as much as you can and relax your controls. If I could give one bit of other advice is look as far ahead as possible and resist the temptation to keep looking just in front of your front wheel. When you keep wrongly looking right down in front, you'll lose your balance and confidence. The scary bit is if anything looks a bit difficult keep the power on and the front will just push through. Not easy to do, but it comes with time.

Cheers

Rich

6 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Looks great and well done for trying off road.

The best advice is to stand up as much as you can and relax your controls. If I could give one bit of other advice is look as far ahead as possible and resist the temptation to keep looking just in front of your front wheel. When you keep wrongly looking right down in front, you'll lose your balance and confidence. The scary bit is if anything looks a bit difficult keep the power on and the front will just push through. Not easy to do, but it comes with time.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich, my biggest fear is thinking I have no grip and that the front is just going to wash out on gravel/mud/grass, guess that's something you just overcome with time/training.  Fitted some Crosspro crashbars last night and have some barkbusters on the way, will feel less worried about dropping it with those on!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeeves1275 said:

Thanks Rich, my biggest fear is thinking I have no grip and that the front is just going to wash out on gravel/mud/grass, guess that's something you just overcome with time/training.  Fitted some Crosspro crashbars last night and have some barkbusters on the way, will feel less worried about dropping it with those on!

Yes agree and the tyres don't help for wet-grass/mud. I actually think they're pretty good for gravel to be fair. I did a big trip in the Pyrenees last year (mostly in the dry) on them and they were just fine.

You can drop the standard tyre pressures to 29/29 or so and that helps. You definitely need to turn the ABS off as that can be very distracting off road. Basically your always losing traction off road and often need that to get a "feel". I love it so much, I splashed on on an extra set of rims from Rally Raid with proper knobbly road legal tyres and a narrower rear rim. But that's because I really want to off road it properly and I can swap them over in 10 mins flat easily.

This is my set-up for off road. Aluminium Barkbusters and crash-bars just as you mention.

IMG_20200710_074529.jpg

Edited by Rich TT

Great minds and all that!  I see you've got the R&G covers too, that was next on my list!  Figure between the three they are a decent balance between light weight, protection and cost.

I mainly ride on road so figure the stock tyres will do me just fine, will see how my off-roading develops!

Thanks again for the advice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Yes agree and the tyres don't help for wet-grass/mud. I actually think they're pretty good for gravel to be fair. I did a big trip in the Pyrenees last year (mostly in the dry) on them and they were just fine.

You can drop the standard tyre pressures to 29/29 or so and that helps. You definitely need to turn the ABS off as that can be very distracting off road. Basically your always losing traction off road and often need that to get a "feel". I love it so much, I splashed on on an extra set of rims from Rally Raid with proper knobbly road legal tyres and a narrower rear rim. But that's because I really want to off road it properly and I can swap them over in 10 mins flat easily.

This is my set-up for off road. Aluminium Barkbusters and crash-bars just as you mention.

IMG_20200710_074529.jpg

That’s a before the mud picture. What’s it look like after the mud?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Saskten said:

That’s a before the mud picture. What’s it look like after the mud?

Like this. Not too bad to be fair and it was muddy as hell. I think it would look a lot worse in the winter slop mind.

Cleaned up just fine.

IMG_20200710_074539.jpg

IMG_20200726_100400.jpg

• Like 1

Stop teasing us wid the new gold weelies!

how does it handle on the road with those narrow er tyres?