Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

My average american experience with the T7 rear spring swap - sag numbers.

mpb1

My mission to change out the shock spring on Thursday was foiled before it even began.

The tangs on the compressor tool I bought (see above) would not fit in between the coils of the OEM spring.  The spaces between the coils were simply too narrow, and I didn't have any other means to remove the OEM spring.

So what does someone do in such a situation?   They call a friend!   One of my riding buddies has just about every tool known to man, and while he doesn't have a dedicated shock spring compressor, he has a solid bench vise and some heavy duty ratchet straps.  He's changed out heavy shock springs numerous times on most of his bikes.  We mounted the shock into the vice, made a few adjustments, took off the OEM spring with ease, and re-fitted the Rally Raid shock, which took a little more finesse and patience.  But, we got it done, and I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone, especially mpb1 for the helpful advice and the write-up.  With the right tools, I'm sure I could do this again if I had to.  I ended up returning the spring compressor and got back my $35 as I would not likely need it in the future.  All is good.

T7-RR shock.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, CAJW said:

Big shout out to @Ktmmitch. His advice on a 90nm spring was spot on. Zero preload = 60mm sag, perfect! 

Rider ready to ride 90kg (198.8 lbs.). 

Thanks, glad our spring weight chart guidelines are effective, enjoy the ride.............

• Like 2

New very precise measurement from me today:

85Nm spring from RR. Bike about 208 kg, rider with all my gear 89 kg.

Preload 5 clicks

Static sag: 13,5%
Rider sag: 27,5%

Could probably decrease preload a couple of clicks to get 30% rider sag. Im happy 🙂

• Like 1