Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wiring a TomTom Rider 550

husky123

Question

Hey everyone, how are you wiring your Rider 550? Right now I’m using the accessory socket via a lighter to USB and into the 550.

I’d like to use the powered base unit for quick on/off of the unit without having to unplug my power (currently have to do that). Is it possible to wire the TomTom battery cable that hardwires into the base using a USB or other socket on the right side of the gauge? Hope that make sense and thanks for any insight. 

6 answers to this question

There are already a couple spare connectors that are switched on the Right and left side of the gauge.  They are two wire rectangle connectors.  You could use them for the connection as long as the base doesn't draw more current than the circuit is fused for.  I think they are 2A.  I may be able to get pics tonight of what I did.  ( not mounting TOM TOM) but I moved my power outlet to the right side, and swapped the OEM Lighter plug for a USB/Voltage monitor.  I cut the plug off the OEM unit, threw it out and plugged it into a spare on the right.

Easy way to check the fusing of those circuits, turn key on, remove fuses from AUX or Spare and confirm when you get no voltage at the plugs.

FWIW I wired my Garmin to a PDM60 so it's switched with the ignition.  I have some other things going to that now and in the future.

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldentaco said:

There are already a couple spare connectors that are switched on the Right and left side of the gauge.  They are two wire rectangle connectors.  You could use them for the connection as long as the base doesn't draw more current than the circuit is fused for.  I think they are 2A.  I may be able to get pics tonight of what I did.  ( not mounting TOM TOM) but I moved my power outlet to the right side, and swapped the OEM Lighter plug for a USB/Voltage monitor.  I cut the plug off the OEM unit, threw it out and plugged it into a spare on the right.

Easy way to check the fusing of those circuits, turn key on, remove fuses from AUX or Spare and confirm when you get no voltage at the plugs.

FWIW I wired my Garmin to a PDM60 so it's switched with the ignition.  I have some other things going to that now and in the future.

J

Thank you! I’d love to see pics of your setup. 

Right side of bike. There’s a two pin connector with nothing in it. Use that. 

There’s also an empty, white, 3 pin connector that is taped down and a little further back. I’d reserve that one for lights or heated grips. 

The two pin connector shares a 2A fuse with the factory cig outlet which will be fine for a GPS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husky123 said:

Thank you! I’d love to see pics of your setup. 

Here’s some pics of what I did. Not entirely what you need to do but the info you need @BMRT7  Just mentioned. 

Here’s the USB unit I replaced the OEM lighter socket with. 
474CC97C-7B31-4682-BDDC-B0CCC7A5E396.thumb.jpeg.4835f6185685e5107c14e76be20d2bb4.jpeg

Re-used plug I’m pointing at. 
1CE5A7A8-8DDC-4F2A-8656-48BE64FC3248.thumb.jpeg.5be606bee32522e4e3996166c4dd70ab.jpeg

Fuse for the two Two-pin rectangle plugs(both plugs use this fuse). 2A
782D7AF3-8072-4938-9530-5681A9CC109C.thumb.jpeg.b7eea8a60e534ea785a07f6433de183f.jpeg

I put the PDM where the diagnostic plug normally sits. It looks a little messier than it actually is. 
5A21E58B-2300-4F33-83DE-A16146B1C350.thumb.jpeg.398081efc5cfdd30b75f04a44af99e1e.jpeg

J

• Like 1

Can’t thank you all enough for your informative replies. So, I popped off the right panel this morning...man these things are easy to work on. Anyway, is (pictured) this the right switched power? And if so, since the TomTom battery cable comes with bare leads, should I try and find the corresponding quick connect or just pull the wires out of the back and splice together? Again, thanks for the tips. 

9732BA43-D6B6-4E0F-8BB8-23DE3490D663.jpeg

2 hours ago, husky123 said:

Can’t thank you all enough for your informative replies. So, I popped off the right panel this morning...man these things are easy to work on. Anyway, is (pictured) this the right switched power? And if so, since the TomTom battery cable comes with bare leads, should I try and find the corresponding quick connect or just pull the wires out of the back and splice together? Again, thanks for the tips. 

9732BA43-D6B6-4E0F-8BB8-23DE3490D663.jpeg

That’s the one. 

How you wire it is up to you. Cleanest would be finding the correct plug. If you splice I’d use a posi connector. 

• Like 1