Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Vinyl wrapping my Ten

TOMMY_TENNY

Hi @TOMMY_TENNY. Looks good. I have done the same thing to my bike.

Another trick I have done is to cover the GOLD FORK TUBES with black electrical HEAT SHRINK. This makes them easy to clean and protects them from any rock damage. Also is very easy to remove with a knife if you wanted AS NEW FORKS if you ever wanted to sell.

cheers, Disco190457990_blackedoutT7.thumb.jpg.cfd7ad95c121cfe47332a42797b30f7c.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Another trick I have done is to cover the GOLD FORK TUBES with black electrical HEAT SHRINK. This makes them easy to clean and protects them from any rock damage. Also is very easy to remove with a knife if you wanted AS NEW FORKS if you ever wanted to sell.

cheers, Disco

Sell? I'm NEVER going to sell it!! Haha (well, maybe for a new one in a few years...!)

Very nice bike matey 👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TOMMY_TENNY said:

Sell? I'm NEVER going to sell it!! Haha (well, maybe for a new one in a few years...!)

Very nice bike matey 👍

I'm thinking the same... Damn good bike 🔝🏍️💨🔥🔥

• Like 1

Aside from re-wrapping the LHS panel and completing the tank I'm calling the wrapping done for now. It's not perfect but it's really only prep for a sticker set from decal moto that should hopefully arrive in the next week or so - so most of it will be covered anyway!

Just thought I'd do a quick update as I've fitted the Adventure Spec tail tidy. Bloddy hell that was a task - I stopped counting the nuts that hold on the rear fairing and number plate holder but it is a LOT! I like the look of the tidy on the bike - it maintains the original plastic top-section, which almost looks like an extension of the mud guard (rear fender), but then removes that great big bit of plastic holding on the plate.

Apart from the number of screws, bolts and clips to undo, and the pretty basic nature of the instructions, the job isn't too difficult - albeit it took me over 2 hours to do but that's probably as I'm pretty meticulous (read useless!) at DIY and had to back-peddle a couple of times. 

My only lasting concerns are related. This may be just my bike, but there was hardly any slack in the indicator cabling. Which meant I had to undo all my neat zip-tying and essentially pull the cables taught so that the connectors would reach. You can clearly see the cables running from the indicators and plate light back to the tail unit. I'm hoping this will be solved by fitting the Yamaha LED indicators (blinkers) next week, as they come with an extra bit of cable to make the switch easy. This brings me to my second concern - there's very little clearance between the OEM indicators and the number plate (license plate). Once I swap out the indicators I'm worried they will be behind the number plate?! 

Which means I'll need to get spacers or run an illegally small plate... Watch this space. 

Here are some pics (I didn't take any in progress shots I'm afraid. Just imagine a messy garage full of bike bits and boxes of nuts and a confused late-thirty something man...).

Also check out my new helmet - HJC (I get on with the fit) RPHA 70 in Balius Blue to match the bike! 🤪

20200909_174915x.png

20200910_082704x.png

20200910_142107x.png

20200910_142114x.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all; latest update:

1. The LED indicators are fitted and have solved the issue with the tail tidy cabling.

2. I have fitted a subtle graphics kit

Cheers

20200922_085051x.png

20200922_085039x.png

20200922_085424x.png

x.png

• Like 3

Bikes looking great!!...i couldn't see the vinyl wrap though...🤣 Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, kriegar said:

Looks much better!

I get my Tenere next week so might give this a bash.

Any chance of a link to the vinyl you used?

Is it matte or satin?

Thanks @kriegar

I was pretty happy with the outcome 👍

I got the kit from Decal Moto in Italy. They have a number of kits for the T7: https://www.decalmoto.com/it/453-tenere-700-t7

The one I used is called the "T7 Factory Racing" Model B https://www.decalmoto.com/it/yamaha/3753-2837-tenere-700-t7-factory-racing.html#/25-modello-model_a/43-materiale-materiale_cast_180_micron 

I went for the 500 micron kit, but in retrospect I think the "standard" 180 micron would actually be adequate. The kit went on really nicely (fit was excellent) but I have noticed some edges coming off, but I wonder if the thinner decals would actually stick better... It's a satin / possibly even gloss finish. If you have instagram go check my page @tommy_tenere for more pics!

They do allow modifications as well (for a small fee (7 euro)) - as you will see, I had all the manufacture references removed. I'd happily buy from them again (and probably will when I want to change up the look).

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing your Tenere!

TT

20201101_143515xx.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 4:42 AM, Disco said:

cheers, Disco190457990_blackedoutT7.thumb.jpg.cfd7ad95c121cfe47332a42797b30f7c.jpg

Hey i've been wanting to do this. Can you outline how you did it?

• Like 1

I was meaning the black parts from the original post. Are those matte or black?

The racing decals are cool too, but to start with Ill probably just black out the silver parts.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:42 AM, Disco said:

Hi Disco! It's the first time I see this rear rack. Where did you bought it? I like the side shape to protect the panel with my soft altrider hemisphere bag.  I'm looking to do mine...

Hi, the rack was homemade with just a cheap tube bender.

Nice job! I'm looking to do something similar but with no top rack. If you can share a closer pic I would appreciate! Thanks

On 2/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, kriegar said:

I was meaning the black parts from the original post. Are those matte or black?

The racing decals are cool too, but to start with Ill probably just black out the silver parts.

Hi @kriegar - apologies, misunderstood!

The black vinyl I used to wrap the silver bits is matt black from MDP supplies. £10 for a 1.5m x 1.0m strip, so plenty to practice with!

https://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehicle-wrapping/matt-wrapping-film

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Hi all

Just posting an update of where my Tenere is at modifications-wise. Haven't posted for a while but latest additions include adventure.spec belly pan and rear grab rails (both in blue) and now a Denalli D4 spot/flood light mounted on the RHS (I've just gone for a single light with simple on/off switch currently but might extend to two with off/high/low in future...).

Also a pic from a recent camping trip to the lake district (England) fully loaded with tent, sleeping bag, etc. etc. I went for the XLmoto luggage as a budget option and must say it's holding up very well - no complaints! 

OK, that's all for now!

Ride safe™

20210810_141549.jpg

20210912_084456.jpg

20210918_165612.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TOMMY_TENNY said:

Hi all

Just posting an update of where my Tenere is at modifications-wise. Haven't posted for a while but latest additions include adventure.spec belly pan and rear grab rails (both in blue) and now a Denalli D4 spot/flood light mounted on the RHS (I've just gone for a single light with simple on/off switch currently but might extend to two with off/high/low in future...).

Also a pic from a recent camping trip to the lake district (England) fully loaded with tent, sleeping bag, etc. etc. I went for the XLmoto luggage as a budget option and must say it's holding up very well - no complaints! 

OK, that's all for now!

Ride safe™

20210810_141549.jpg

20210912_084456.jpg

20210918_165612.jpg

Your bike looks great!  I love it.  Blue skid plate, perfect match and the wrap is beautiful.  Good job my man.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I shall resurrect this thread 😅

On this rainy weekend I also vinyl wrapped my grey tank as over time I became a little too used to it.

I already have black skidplate, black Acerbis heel guards and black crashbars.

With the black tank and black side panels the bike almost becomes too dark for my taste, which I am not a fan of.

For now I left the side panels grey and just did the tank.

The funny thing is that if I look at it now they grey makes more and more sense. There needs to be something to balance out all the darker black/blue.

I think it's just that in bright sun it really starts to "shine" and stand out it gives an overexposed look in some pictures.

But in most light conditions it looks very decent.

Maybe it just needs an titanium silver Akrapovic to complete the look. 😁💸

Spoiler

after.PNG

tenere-h74a.jpg

Edited by OK185
  • Like 2