Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Full tank mileage to empty

Colddog

Just got back from a run to see how many km’s can be got out of a full tank, this is with the neck vent opened up to allow brimming that sucker till the lid barely fits!

103.1 km on the flashing trip f counter

total of 351km till it ran out at the pumps!

refilled with 16.345 litres.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What average L/100 was showing on your screen? What was your average speed? I just drove back up the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, probably averaging 100 kph and got 4.0 L/100. Over 100 kph fuel economy definitely drops of from excellent to just real good! I had one tense ride when my last bar started flashing 50 km from the nearest gas station, but no problem reaching it. Knowing that the last bar flashing can give 100 km is reassuring.  Boy that gas gauge is not linear!

• Like 2

Has anybody tried this with Miles and Gallons?  Not that i don't trust you, i just don't trust my math and conversion!  is it possible that liters get better mileage than gallons?   Just a thought!  HAHA!

58 minutes ago, Brent said:

Has anybody tried this with Miles and Gallons?  Not that i don't trust you, i just don't trust my math and conversion!  is it possible that liters get better mileage than gallons?   Just a thought!  HAHA!

This has to be satire, right? Did I miss an /s somewhere?

This is one of those times it’s literally a science and not an art. Conversions aren’t witchcraft. 

He’s saying he went 218 miles. And then put in 4.3 gallons. 

• Like 2

ive just done a 1000 ml trip and was filling up when the reserve flashed at about 130 mls....always put about 8 to 9 litres in.

8 hours ago, YukonPete said:

What average L/100 was showing on your screen? What was your average speed? I just drove back up the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, probably averaging 100 kph and got 4.0 L/100. Over 100 kph fuel economy definitely drops of from excellent to just real good! I had one tense ride when my last bar started flashing 50 km from the nearest gas station, but no problem reaching it. Knowing that the last bar flashing can give 100 km is reassuring.  Boy that gas gauge is not linear!

I was seeing around 4.9 l/100 but wasn’t too vigilant in looking at it steadily.  There was a variety of riding speeds as well as a variety of roads.  I would say a good average may have been 100 kph.  80 kph on gravel, 120 on blacktop.  If a guy were to run a full tank through while cruising gravel roads at 80kph, I wouldn’t be too surprised to get a bit more out of it.

i usually use my trip meter to tell me when to fill up, now I know my cushion.  Your trip up the Alaska highway must have been a good run, weather hold out for you?

Riding back roads (gravel/sand) with moderate to aggressive use of the throttle BUT staying under 8000 rpm and 100 km/h (62mph) yields consistent 300 km (186 miles) range with the reserve light/counter coming on at between 260-280kms (161 - 174 miles) . I've run 80 kms (50 miles) on reserve a number of times with 13-14 L (3.4-3.7 USgal) fill ups at the end. The high RPM of higher speed (more drag) highway riding KILLS the mileage.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

41 minutes ago, Colddog said:

Your trip up the Alaska highway must have been a good run, weather hold out for you?

I got my bike in Vancouver and had the ride of my life going via Hope-> Cache Creek-> Kamloops-> Valemount->Prince George-> Fort Nelson-> Whitehorse.  I had some nice cold (4C) and rain on a few sections - probably 1.5 days of my 4 day trip home. Going over Pink Mountain in the rain and wind and cold was fun - NOT! My heated grips did not work and my gloves were not warm enough, so I came home with destroyed hands. It's been a week and my hands still have only about 50% strength. But going over the Rockies from Fort Nelson to Liard Hot Springs was perfect weather and the best day of riding in my life, so maybe the hand sacrifice was worth it?

So from this ride I determined that I will quickly be adding Barkbusters with the wind deflectors. The wind deflectors on the stock bike are pretty damn poor. I also need another couple inches on the screen. I also transferred my neoprene throttle raps from my KLR 650 to the T7 and now my hands feel much better riding. Go figure why I didn't bring these along for my 3,000 km trip.

My experience with this bike is that if you drive in "old man" mode (90-100 kph) down the highway this bike will go between 350-400 km.

Over 12000 km. on a variety of on and off-pavement rides in B.C. and Yukon, I'm getting roughly the same mileage as @Canzvt and @YukonPete. Averaging 4.3 to 4.5 liters per 100 km., with a slight increase at 110 km/h or greater.

There's about 4 liters remaining in the tank when the last bar starts blinking, so that's almost 100 km. The quirky fuel gauge was no big deal once I knew how far the reserve would get me.

16.3 liters/4.3 gallons is surprising that the capacity actually exceeds the spec. Usually it is the other way around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, motoAT said:

16.3 liters/4.3 gallons is surprising that the capacity actually exceeds the spec. Usually it is the other way around.

I am starting to have a feeling the 16L is the "usable" area with the air gap on top.

Sometimes you can squeeze in a bit more if you are able to get some air out of those pockets.

My guzzi was like that...21L rated, 21.5L always for me...lol...

• Like 1

Last week I pulled in to the gas station with 202.9 miles on the trip meter and it took 3.24 gal. I had nearly a full gallon left. That was riding on the COBDR.

• Like 2